Tackle shops re opening

ohanzee

"I dont think they were then" does not cut the mustard, so to speak.
They were, or they were not.
I think they were

'I don't think' doesn't cut the mustard, but 'I think' does?

ohanzee

I don't think tackle shops could ever compete with online, not price but choice, you can now shop everywhere, compare prices, find new things, all without leaving the sofa, when we need something its only a click away, going to a shop is less choice and they might not even have it, our expectations have moved on.

LukeNZ

I wonder how many will be in the queue for Norris???

Used to be my favorite shop to visit Norris (Penrith) , along with Lindsley Bros. (Leeds) when I was a lad. Went in a couple of years ago (John Norris) and it seemed to have shrunk in terms of the number of items on the floor. Possibly more into the drop shipping and internet stuff these days?

Lindsley Bros, in Leeds closed before I left the UK.

Back in the day they made their own shotguns as well (I think W. Greener. supplied in the white and finished and branded by them - but they carried Purdey and H&H. I can remember the the last proprietor Barrington (Barry to me - cant remember his surname), initially fitting a trap gun for me. that I was really struggling with - after that expert fitting and some coaching from Barry it became difficult to miss! He also had a shop in Harrogate.

Barrington was also an absolute gun spey caster, and full-on fishing guru to me - spent quite a bit of time fishing at Kirby Lonsdale (Lune). Never seen anyone cover a beat as quickly and efficiently as him. He didn’t mess around in fishing time. Pulled some big fish out of unlikely places.

Do any of you guys know what happened to him (Barrington)? He was a really top guy to me in my early field sports development, and I did a lot of things simply because I knew he would approve - it would be what Barry would likely do, or that I had seen him do.

I also remember well, his setting up of a 200 bird sporting clay shoot at a local country fair at a stately home: and his mis-measurement (rough guess) of broken targets trajectory on a high pairs overhead stand... ...least said the better, the ambulance guys took care of it!

But to balance, the bolting rabbit was memorable; the best stand of it type I have ever seen - thick hedges either side of an open bar gate - classic! The oversized clays bouncing past on their edges. My friend who shoots in the police team now (still) and who at the time was North of England sporting clays champ won it with a 197. I beat him on the rabbits, maybe that is why that stand was so memorable!

🙃

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

No. I have bought leaders from Australia in large numbers and they are very good. I avoid anything with Maxcatch on it. I have never knowingly bought a rod, reel, line, net or any other significant item of fishing gear from Maxcatch.

I think they are destroying the mainstream tackle industry and people who should know better are helping them to do it by buying their shoddy second rate products. Some try it and find, to their cost, that it's buy cheap and buy twice. Some are smarter and don't buy the first time.
Bullshit.
You posted on here on the 17th and 19th May 2019 telling us how much you liked being able to source Maxcatch leaders from Amazon.

BobP May 17th 2019

“I go through Amazon for Maxcatch leaders.”

BobP May 19th 2019

“As long as I can get 10 or 20 leaders from Maxcatch via Amazon in 1-2 days when I am running short I'm OK with that.”

You are part of the problem.

Last edited:

JoeOh

The tackle shop in Leicestershire I work part-time for, is opening Tuesday.
Although the shop is quite extensive with a large range of mostly coarse fishing tackle, mail order has now become a major part of the the business.
We stock very minimal fly tackle, as major reservoir tackle shops are within a reasonable distance. We sell flies, fly boxes, leader material, nets and can order from some companies if larger items requested.
Bait sales is a mainstay, especially the requirements of carp anglers who often require bulk amounts of pellets/boilies alongside other baits, maggots, worms, frozen deadbait etc. items that we do not mail.
I do feel disconcerted at the amount of stock manufactured in China, and there is now long delivery dates, in some cases August for items such as bivvies and beds. As for the debate over direct purchase from China, well I can understand some of the reasons for it's popularity with some of the Forum; inaccessibility to a tackle shop, price and the popularity of online shopping especially in lockdown. The shop employs four staff, and indirectly the services of an accountant, delivery staff, bait farms etc.
I look forward to the shop being fully open and being able to meet and welcome Anglers again. Browsing is good !

BobP

Fine, I bought a few leaders. I've since found better from elsewhere and prefer to use those, not that it matters to beginners and novices as they'll trash them just as fast as Leeda ones.

I wonder what Maxcatch will do when they have totally destroyed all the companies they currently rip-off and pirate kit from.

Wee Jimmy

Fine, I bought a few leaders. I've since found better from elsewhere and prefer to use those, not that it matters to beginners and novices as they'll trash them just as fast as Leeda ones.

I wonder what Maxcatch will do when they have totally destroyed all the companies they currently rip-off and pirate kit from.
Fine...?? You’re full of it.

blithfield2

It's the eager supporting, by a good many on here, of a corrupt, murderous and totally anti human rights regime, that beggars my belief. Are you totally oblivious to the disgraceful behaviour that goes on, or do you just choose to ignore it, as long as your longing for absolute crap is satiated?

Paul_B

It's the eager supporting, by a good many on here, of a corrupt, murderous and totally anti human rights regime, that beggars my belief. Are you totally oblivious to the disgraceful behaviour that goes on, or do you just choose to ignore it, as long as your longing for absolute crap is satiated?

Is it every company in China :unsure:

Oh and are Chinese companies based in Britain classed the same

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

You don't think that china is a corrupt, murderous and totally anti human rights regime then?
The ins and outs of ethical purchasing are complex. China make a third of everything made on the planet. The textiles you are wearing, the circuitry in your computer or phone, the plastics in your home and car, stainless steel items in your kitchen are all Chinese made.
Unless you are serious about totally cutting these products out, to rant about the regime in China, and folk buying Maxcatch as supporting it is nonsensical. You are supporting the Chineses regime just as much if you pop down the Golden Dragon for some egg-fried rice!!

blithfield2

I don't think that you can blame every Chinese company
There appears to be a comprehension problem here, I am referring to the government ruling china. Companies operate under the largesse of the government and financially contribute to that government, who as we speak have spread their control over great tracts of Africa - in short they are winning the next war without firing a shot.

The west is now realising the dangers that past greed has placed us in, but it appears customers of maxcrap and it's like, continue dealing with them.

Scotty Mitchell

It’s not “fine” to lie. Not by me anyway.
If you hadn’t found “better” elsewhere you’d be just another happy Maxcatch customer, just like those you berate.
Thanks for clearing that up though, I’ll treat everything you post as lies from here on in.

Scotty Mitchell

The ins and outs of ethical purchasing are complex. China make a third of everything made on the planet. The textiles you are wearing, the circuitry in your computer or phone, the plastics in your home and car, stainless steel items in your kitchen are all Chinese made.
Unless you are serious about totally cutting these products out, to rant about the regime in China, and folk buying Maxcatch as supporting it is nonsensical. You are supporting the Chineses regime just as much if you pop down the Golden Dragon for some egg-fried rice!!
Yes it is extremely difficult to avoid Chinese made goods or parts thereof, however it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try.
I do my very best to avoid anything from China, my very best sometimes isn’t good enough, but trying keeps me happy.

I certainly don’t feel the need to lie about it like Bob.

blithfield2

Upon reading that, for some strange reason Jeremy Clarkson's expression - 'surrender monkey' sprang to mind - collectively the west needs to realign our business dealings

Paul_B

There appears to be a comprehension problem here, I am referring to the government ruling china. Companies operate under the largesse of the government and financially contribute to that government, who as we speak have spread their control over great tracts of Africa - in short they are winning the next war without firing a shot.

The west is now realising the dangers that past greed has placed us in, but it appears customers of maxcrap and it's like, continue dealing with them.

China has companies everywhere in the UK and around the world, should we stop buying Scottish oats or whisky due to china's control of north sea oil, or stop using electric because china makes to nuclear plants and equipment, how about cars, should we go back to the horse and cart.

A lot aren't keen on the way the snp works, should we stop buying from glasgow angling

blithfield2

China has companies everywhere in the UK and around the world, should we stop buying Scottish oats or whisky due to china's control of north sea oil, or stop using electric because china makes to nuclear plants and equipment, how about cars, should we go back to the horse and cart.

A lot aren't keen on the way the snp works, should we stop buying from glasgow angling
Clearly you are either choosing to ignore the point or.....?

The point has already been made that we are surrounded by china's influence by the sheer volume of goods and services, but does that make it right? It appears to me that you just shrug your shoulders and carry on..........investing in a corrupt, murderous and totally anti human rights regime.

After all it's a free country, that is, unless you live in china!

Scotty Mitchell

Like I said, for me it’s about doing my best, within my own limitations.
I don’t for one second consider I’ll change the world with my admittedly insignificant little protest, but it makes me feel good, and feel I’ve done my best to avoid giving money to places and people I’d rather not.
Just like fast food, I’ve never had a McDonald’s, and never will, but I doubt that will hurt them much.
It’s not hard to comprehend, or do.
I’ve just replaced a sound system in one of my rooms, that was difficult, and I’ll bet there is a Chinese circuit board or such like in there somewhere, but I’ll say it again.....I did my best.
No couple of leaders here and there, no just picking up the first stereo that came along.
Definitely not world changing either though.

Latest posts