Taking rods abroad

daniport

On all my travels to Argentina I have taped the rods to the side of the suitcase and protected the protruding tip of the tubes. Once the suitcase is full I place the rod tubes along the suitcase and then secure them in place with thick selotape. I then tape protectors to the tops of the tubes and the bottoms to protect them against wear. When I arrive at the airport I get them wrapped again. I have done this now for 7 years carrying up to 5 rods without any issues. For long rods (10´ 3 piece rods) I lay them cross ways.

original cormorant

Maybe look at photography lighting cases. This one is around £80.

That's the first original suggestion I've seen for some time. How baggage handler proof are they?
On all my travels to Argentina I have taped the rods to the side of the suitcase and protected the protruding tip of the tubes. Once the suitcase is full I place the rod tubes along the suitcase and then secure them in place with thick selotape. I then tape protectors to the tops of the tubes and the bottoms to protect them against wear. When I arrive at the airport I get them wrapped again. I have done this now for 7 years carrying up to 5 rods without any issues. For long rods (10´ 3 piece rods) I lay them cross ways.
Do you realise how much of your baggage weight allowance those tubes cost you? See the thread on Rod Bag Material for some examples of rod tube weights.

Rhithrogena

The bags themselves are actually quite heavy and you have to factor in that coming back you're going to be heavier with wet clothes and boots. I take boots in my carry-on rucksack so that they don't count. 15kg would be a challenge.
WEAR the wading boots onto the plane 😉
Swap in the air for the trainers in your carry on bag. A standard snowboarder trick....

Tangled

WEAR the wading boots onto the plane 😉
Swap in the air for the trainers in your carry on bag. A standard snowboarder trick....
Nice and wet on the return journey. Could put feet in two plastic bags I suppose.

I think I'll stick to my method :)

Rhithrogena

Nice and wet on the return journey. Could put feet in two plastic bags I suppose.

I think I'll stick to my method :)
Wear the waders too? Take a carrier bag to decant them into (maybe stick em in with the duty free?). But if you can get everything in your bags then win win 👍

bonefishblues

Maybe look at photography lighting cases. This one is around £80.
(If you are in Buenos Aires and have any spare time jump in a cab and visit the Club de Pescadores. An amazing club house with a 600m pier jutting out into the River Plate.)
£64 on sale at the moment, but no weight quoted that I can see.

Paul HX

That's the first original suggestion I've seen for some time. How baggage handler proof are they?
I'm a retired photographer. I used to fly with a padded Calumet photo light case (no wheels) to carry a large tripod and some light stands. I would place them down the centre of the case surrounded by my clothes which created additional protection.

I never suffered any damage. After check-in I would have to take the bag to the outsized baggage section as it was too long to go round the corners on the conveyor belts.

I'm going back 4 years and things might of changed but BA had a maximum length and also a maximum total for LxWxH which this case complied with so I was never charged any excess fees.

Latest posts