Taper Leaders

4wings

I remember someone recommending a cheap(er) taper leader with a very good performance
that did not require the sale of a kidney or similar body part. However I cannot locate the post.
Help!

jaybeegee

I use Leeda Profil leaders, I’ve tried others; Hardy, Rio and cheapo Maxcatch, but have confidence in the Leeda brand. I shop about a bit for the best deal and buy enough for a season.
B

andygrey

Maxcatch ones are OK, cheap and cheerful though I always cut them down by a few feet and add a decent bit of tippet to get them back-up to length as I've never really had much confidence in tying a fly directly to the thin end.

running bear

Tie your own, for most trout fishing 4’ Of 15lb maxima to 4’ of 8lb to a tippet ring. Use a perfection loop to put it loop to loop on a braided loop or better still a heavier butt section needle knotted. If using poly tips, adjust weight if leader butt section accordingly.

I use anything upto 10’ to the tippet ring (Lough style) but 3-5’ for dry/duo on rivers. I use the same for Czech nymphing but not for French leader, I use a hends.

Formula works in 3’ and 5’ lengths also. And if you’re using it to chuck lures go up to 20lb/12lb.

Try it and see the turnover, I wouldn’t go back.

T_James

I have used Leedas with no issues - although Stroft is my favourite being far more supple and with little memory.

That said tying your own is cheaper in the long run and means you can tailor to it your needs - if you have enough spare time to experiment!

I purchased several spools of maxima from a forum member exactly for that purpose.

skajtrout

Best value* I've found on tapered leaders:

I buy the 15ft ones then cut 3-6 ft off the thick end, I find the butt ends too thick and bulky on the standard 9ft lengths - if you cut 6ft off the butt end of the 15ft ones you end up with a 9ft leader with a thinnner diameter butt end than if you'd just bought the 9 ft ones. I hope that makes sense, works a treat, much better tapered leaders done that way, I find. I then tie 3ish ft of Middy Fluorocrystal or Stroft on the business end.

*Saying that they do seem to have gone up in price somwhat; the last lot I bought, I seem to recall worked out at around 40p ea landed. Still, can't complain, still a lot less than just about everyone else out there.

Skaj

speytime

I've used maxcatch tapers for the last year I find them OK, I also buy longer than I need then cut them back.

I've had two disintegrate/crumble at the butt section using my knee to straighten them, maybe I overheated it but I've never seen that with any others?

Al

Juneau

I use the Maxcatch leaders when I'm teaching and guiding. No point in spending the thick end of three quid only for someone to turn it into spaghetti in five minutes flat. Actually, they are not bad at all for under a pound a throw and I'll use them myself on the river quite often with no issues.

Like others on here I cut them back a little and add about 3' of tippet and a tippet ring to give me about 11' in total

speytime

I also tie my own tapers to suit the flies/conditions, apparently flouro and nylon shouldn't be joined together?
I've found using 0.40/45 flouro butt sections tapered down with maxima gives a better turn over and doubles as a intermediate/midge tip...

Al

Open loop

I fished 73 days last year, mostly short evening sessions, and went through less than 6 tapered leaders. I buy the 9ft Hardy co-polymer leaders and chop of most of the level front section and add a tippet ring, I then join 5ft of tippet to the ring. At the end of the days fishing I remove the added tippet and replace the leader in my leader wallet ready to be used again. Tapered leaders are cheap in reality.

4wings

Good Afternoon or Bore Da.
1/ So I have a Flyline, Aerflo, a braided backing and some Drennan tippet.
The flyline has one loop at the reel end, I was expecting two loops so I could
loop to a tapered leader thus avoiding chopping bits off the flyline.
I know there are "chinese handcuff" braided mesh connectors + superglue,
are these good enough? or am I going to have to tie knots.
2/ Do tapered leaders come with droppers already attached?
3/ Does everyone wear a flotation device when boating or am I being pessimistic ;)

speytime

Yes you need to use a braided loop "Chinese handcuff" if there no welded loop.

I think you can buy tapers with droppers but it's really easy to add your own with a 3 turn water knot.

If I'm on a boat or a big river I wear a life jacket, I should always it but that's life.

Al