Tapered leaders

eddleston123

Is there such a thing as a tapered leader that does NOT go curly at the butt end.

I fished with a Greys tapered leader last night, and despite using a rubber leader straightener, it maintained its 'curly wurly' appearance.

Perhaps it may be better to make up my own.

Douglas

three rivers

If you make your own leaders using monofilament thick enough to transfer the energy from the fly line, they'll go curly. It's a function of the material. However, some brands are better than others; if you use Amnesia for the thicker sections it will straighten out quite well with only a few moderate pulls.

One trick I've found works with persistently coily leaders is to hold it under tension in the steam from a kettle for a few seconds. Trouble is when you wind it back on the reel, the coil comes back, so you'll have to take a kettle with you - not that there's anything wrong with having a fresh cup of tea on the bank.

Andrew Rourke

Leeda Profil.
One stretch when setting up lasts the session. Used them for years.
A more expensive but equally memory free option are Varivas.

BobP

My experience with bought leaders is that they will "cast" out after half an hour or so. I just stick one on for a client and let them get on with it. When I use one myself I give them a stretch and then just fish with it.

Andrew Rourke

Being a bit of a dinosaur, I'm not too up on these patterns, but there are one or two hill lochs near me where the bigger trout prefer a humongous pattern over anything (you simply do not get them surface feeding on ANYTHING!).
You gentlemen have inspired me to get some new materials in. They look like they would be just the job!

tangled

The Greys ones seem particularly curly. Hardy are better. The very cheap Matchcatch ones are better than the Greys and straighten out after a few casts.

BobP

I bought some tapered leaders from Amazon. SF Tapered leaders. 7.5' or 9'. Range of tip sizes. Pack of 6 for 9.99 which is pretty good value. No complaints about them and better than Maxcatch in my view.

ohanzee

Leeda profil and Varivas are the best leaders anyway, why bother with others even if they don't curl?

BobP

£1.67 each instead of £2.79 for Leeda and Varivas at £3 is one reason especially when the client is going to stick it up a tree before the morning is over. Leaders come out of my pocket. Anyway, the SF leaders are more than adequate and any curl in the butt end casts out in a very short time.

speytime

Some butt sections need a good hefty pull, maxcatch for example I'll loop them then attach to something solid and really lean into it.
In the past I've used 30lb amnesia as running line, to begin with I thought it crap but after attaching it to the gate post and using my weight instead of my arms to stretch it, it totally transformed into arrow straight.

smallmouth

I use an Airflo "light trout" floating polyleader on stillwaters with my #5 and they don't curl in my experience.