Tapered leaders

BobP

I find that the only thing that turns my leader over is me.

I'm sure leaders are important, but I was out yesterday and it wouldn't have mattered if I'd used greenhouse twine. Get your timing wrong and it's a total shambles. 99% of this game has nothing to do with tackle.

P1ssed off? Yes. But my mojo returned after a full reset and a meat and potato pie.
Now THAT I will agree with. If ever anyone gets one of THOSE days when everything goes wrong. The leader tangles itself while you look at it. Fish just fall off. All the usual, and unusual, little melodramas stack up, one's temper frays and a day by the water becomes a pain in the ar$e. It happens to us all.

My cure for it is to stop fishing. Put the rod down, leave it alone and those little gremlins will drain away. Have a cup of coffee or tea and just watch the water for ten minutes. THEN, pick up the rod and completely re-build the leader. Start afresh. When this is done start fishing again and you will be in a completely different state of mind. Confidence will have returned and you will catch fish.

rabmax

Haven't used a shop bought tapered leader in many years.I remember the butt curling problems though.Shop bought are too thick at the butt for my liking.I like 20lb maxima chameleon butt section.Maxima generally straightens out fairly well.If it eventually goes curly .Just tie up another leader.I like Harvey style leaders that will collapse well for river work anyway.

tangled

I'm thinking this out in my head with some curiosity, its the line that rolls the leader....if you have a loop your there, it cant not roll out...surely, what am I missing?
It's not a particularly complicated point. All I'm saying is that it's the angler that creates the loop and if he's not getting his tracking and timing right, it doesn't matter what taper he uses, the leader does not turn over.

Jeltz

:D
Polyleaders are actually a fly line coating bonded to a tapered monofilament core...got that from Airflow's website, who knew!
You learn something new every day, I suppose they do them in different colours as well. I see Maxima have a HV (high visibility) mono line in the range, I might give it a go.

speytime

:D

You learn something new every day, I suppose they do them in different colours as well. I see Maxima have a HV (high visibility) mono line in the range, I might give it a go.
But of course 😂 you can buy a neat wallet with 5 different densities, you can buy them longer to 12ft and you get heavier salmon versions.

ohanzee

It's not a particularly complicated point. All I'm saying is that it's the angler that creates the loop and if he's not getting his tracking and timing right, it doesn't matter what taper he uses, the leader does not turn over.
I'm trying to pin down the specific movements that cause the problem, if he has created a loop it will roll out, the only thing that can cause collapse is an interruption to the continuity of the loop and/or energy running out, it would have to be a very poor cast to cause bad presentation at that stage.
Too little energy in forming the loop is pretty rare, you can have a very poor cast and still have a well behaved leader.
Jerky waves down the line? as in chasing a ripple down the loop till if flips out and tosses the leader?

If you tie a cigarette tip in the middle of a leader(I did this once) what happens is the loop rolls out, transfers to the leader which rolls out then suddenly stalls at the cigarette tip, the rest of the leader just sort of pings in the air, the energy terminating at the cigarette butt, what this illustrates is how objects like knots and transitions in the leader can effect the rolling energy.

tangled

Perhaps you just can't imagine casting but not fully turning over the leader.
A trip to any put and take trout fishery will provide you with plenty of evidence of loops not doing what the caster wanted them to do.

ohanzee

That's good, dare I ask if they have a matching tippet range to go with them.
I'd put a leader between the poly leader and the tippet, by the time your done you have 30 odd feet of lumpy between the end of the line and the fly, you might like these.......

Loop Scandi tips...the must have for the serious tip changer, apparently properly balanced.....

18a0063.1.jpg

Jeltz

If you tie a cigarette tip in the middle of a leader(I did this once) what happens is the loop rolls out, transfers to the leader which rolls out then suddenly stalls at the cigarette tip, the rest of the leader just sort of pings in the air, the energy terminating at the cigarette butt, what this illustrates is how objects like knots and transitions in the leader can effect the rolling energy.
What is the best knot for tying cigarette butts to a leader? 😂

ohanzee

Perhaps you just can't imagine casting but not fully turning over the leader.
A trip to any put and take trout fishery will provide you with plenty of evidence of loops not doing what the caster wanted them to do.
I am struggling to visualise it, I guess if you have slack and try to cast too far you can get a collapse...last time I was at a trout fishery it looked like 20 guys signalling to get a helicopter to land :D

tangled

I am struggling to visualise it, I guess if you have slack and try to cast too far you can get a collapse...last time I was at a trout fishery it looked like 20 guys signalling to get a helicopter to land :D
Here's a chap demonstrating how loops collapse

ohanzee

Here's a chap demonstrating how loops collapse
In light of that I'm thinking a thread on tapered leaders should maybe start some way past caster error, trajectory and creep are going to show up in the line as a poor cast, hopefully they realise that before assuming its a leader issue.

Is it my imagination or is he getting younger?