Tapered leaders

Jamie Dundee

As previously mentioned, I’ve recently started back fly fishing after a break. I had what I would guess was a fluorocarbon tapered leader on my floating line which had a knotless loop to join to the fly line. Try as I may I can’t find anything similar available today. Anyone any ideas? It was a lovely smooth leader which I’d like to find again. A ‘knotless’ leader with a bloody big knot in it seems to be an oxymoron :unsure:

Whilst on the subject, is there a general ratio for tippet length/leader? I'm currently using 2mm tippet rings.

wobbly face

I do not know of any knotless loops on end of leaders apart from polyleaders.
There's no rule re tippet length to leader, just use what you can handle. But, you may have difficulty turning over a fly on too long a tippet. Not all leaders will handle additional tippet due to fine tapers and fine diameter of leader.
You cut the finale taper of the leader off, add tippet ring then your tippet or reattach what you've cut off. That way you will only have to change tippet and not full leader.

Jamie Dundee

There's no rule re tippet length to leader, just use what you can handle. But, you may have difficulty turning over a fly on too long a tippet. Not all leaders will handle additional tippet due to fine tapers and fine diameter of leader.
You cut the finale taper of the leader off, add tippet ring then your tippet or reattach what you've cut off. That way you will only have to change tippet and not full leader.
I’m using 3x leader to 5lb tippet via tippet ring, much more civilised than blood knots and junked leaders...

Edited to add; I’ve just got some 12’ leaders to try as 9’ + 3’ tippet seemed a bit short. Much over a 3’ tippet with ring didn’t seem to turn over nicely, although that’s probably more down to my rusty casting than the combined rig.

Jamie Dundee

Just to add, I think tippet rings are a great idea although a b@stard to tie on. Especially after making up tope rubbing traces with 150lb mono and 2/0 swivels...

GEK79

The polyleaders have a loop to loop connection.. I tie a perfection loop onto my butt section of tippet when making my own leader. and off I go.. Learnt from much advice on here.

BobP

Just to add, I think tippet rings are a great idea although a b@stard to tie on. Especially after making up tope rubbing traces with 150lb mono and 2/0 swivels...
Do them at home in good light. I do mine as follows: Unravel the leader and place it across the knees ready to pick up. Get one of the rings out and using a damp forefinger pick it up. Using a length of 10lb or thereabouts mono thread it through the ring & fold it over. Pass the end of the leader through the ring & holding the heavy mono between thumb & forefinger - I use my left hand here - tie a 5 turn tucked half blood knot to secure the ring to the leader. Trim off & carefully wind the leader round your fingers & pass the loop end round the coil four or five times. Put it back in the packet and repeat as necessary. I usually do four or five at a session which takes less than half an hour.

PaulD

Do them at home in good light. I do mine as follows: Unravel the leader and place it across the knees ready to pick up. Get one of the rings out and using a damp forefinger pick it up.
A more convenient option is to store tippet rings on a safety pin or clip and tie to the leader before removing it from the pin.

Tippet rings pin.jpg

GEK79

A more convenient option is to store tippet rings on a safety pin or clip and tie to the leader before removing it from the pin.

View attachment 30830
For this post that is the best advice you'll get tying a tippet ring when out on the water in various different conditions.. Nightmare.. Some folks are against them.. Put then in the end of your leader and keep changing your line..

Jamie Dundee

Orvis supply their tippet rings already on a clip . . .

View attachment 30831
I’ve probably got similar on the boat in my sea tackle, I’ll have a look next time I’m on. For the moment I’m using a safety pin, although not much room to get a line through as well, I imagine the clips will be a finer wire.

Jamie Dundee

I’m now pretty sure what I had was a polyleader. I ordered a floating and a hover Airflo, the hover was brilliant but has now fallen apart and the floating came yesterday with the last 12” looking like it had been sandpapered to death.

Won‘t be getting any more of them 😡

lee71

I’m now pretty sure what I had was a polyleader. I ordered a floating and a hover Airflo, the hover was brilliant but has now fallen apart and the floating came yesterday with the last 12” looking like it had been sandpapered to death.

Won‘t be getting any more of them 😡
The only airflo lines a lot bother with are the sinkers and inters I've never liked their floaters.

Last edited: