Tawny Owl

Ardfarna

I am reading a lovely book on fishing in North Wales. In the sedge group of flies the wings are predominately from the Tawny Owl. I don’t know where to source these suspecting the owl might be a protected species. Has anyone any suggestions?

doobrysnatcher

in malcolm greenhalgh pocket spider guide it says it cant be bought his are road casualtiestawny owl.jpg
in nc flies it says a suitably dyed partridge or woodcock is appropriate(traditionally the small mottled brown feathers on the upper edge of the wing were used )
heres a link to tawny owl feathers

Last edited:

ardfarna4

Thank you. Aren’t those feathers magnificent. The barred effect could be replicated from hen pheasant wings. Hope this awful resurgence hasn’t affected you. I’m in Belfast and we have a partial lockdown. In essence I can’t travel outside my own area. I had 14 weeks of isolation from March because I’m in the vulnerable group. It was really hard going.
Good luck

GEK79

Thank you. Aren’t those feathers magnificent. The barred effect could be replicated from hen pheasant wings. Hope this awful resurgence hasn’t affected you. I’m in Belfast and we have a partial lockdown. In essence I can’t travel outside my own area. I had 14 weeks of isolation from March because I’m in the vulnerable group. It was really hard going.
Good luck
Does the book mention any names of the lakes or Llyns as the Welsh call them.. I was lucky enough to spend a few years in North Wales growing up.. My father is Welsh.. I may have fished there as a kid. 😜

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I am reading a lovely book on fishing in North Wales. In the sedge group of flies the wings are predominately from the Tawny Owl. I don’t know where to source these suspecting the owl might be a protected species. Has anyone any suggestions?
The great redge sedge pattern in particular was owl feathers, nowadays is hen pheasant.
Bert