Teise Angling

Carlos

Kentish Teise Angling

Had some pointers to this from another thread. A tad on the expensive side .. but I will be joining.

Anyone experienced the Grayling fishing there ...... it's £35 for the short season (a lot lot more for the trout season) ....... Just figuring out whether I need to invest in Waders etc etc.

Last edited:

Carlos

OK well I'll let you all know about it. I have just joined and I'll be allowed to fish for Grayling from November.

I am told that it is now pretty cloudy where the pools are due to the water released from Bewl.

But 8 miles of stream can't be bad:
http://www.teiseangling.co.uk/

goatfish

fishing the Teise

Hi

I've been a member of the Teise for 2 years now, its very good fun. Around 7 miles of river and small reservoir with crystal clear water full of trout which you can fish in the winter to. Also there are only around a 100 members so its never crowded (in fact I only see a person once every 3-4 trips).

You'll definately need waders and a wading stick as the water can be clouded in deeper stretches and as I found out the hard way, it can result in an unplanned dip if your not careful. The wading stick also comes in useful in helping to get you out of the river as the banks can be steep and slippery at times.

In regards to fishing it can be a mixed bag but incredibly rewarding. I can assure you you'll never look at still water fishing in the same way after a season on the Teise its just such a pleasurable experience . It challenging due sheer length to investigate, the fact that its certainly no manicured chalk stream and fish tend to have lies which are not always easy to reach. Saying that I've had amazing days where I've caught 3-4 trout up to 2lb, watched king fishers darting from bank to bank and not seen another soul... wonderful. To be honest now I've got to know the river a lot better I only occasionally blank. Another good thing is most of the members are very friendly and all to happy to help out with techniques and suggestions of good places to fish so you'll be fine. I'd recommend if you join to go to the AGM in November as its a great chance to learn from other members.

In regards to Grayling. There are grayling in certain stretches of the river which makes it quite challenging. I've had fish up to about half a pound but I have heard stories of 2lbs though I wouldn't hold your breath. Last winter I fished for grayling with mixed success and I wouldn't advise the Teise based on its Grayling merrits alone. Though the good news is through the winter months your still get the odd trout (all returned) and some hefty chub so its worth a crack.

Best flies for trout and grayling I have found is a gold headed GHE tied with claret thread on number 14. On slower stretches, green montana works for trout in season. Finally I have had some success for graying with pink shrimps also.

I hope that helps, happy to help out more if required

cheers

Phill (happy Teise angler)

Carlos

I detoured down to have a look last week and I loved it. To be honest I wasn't expecting much as I had heard a bad review.

But it was beyond my expectaions and I only looked (with no rod official start date for me is 1st Nov) at the mixed fishing beats, 4, 7 and the resevoir. I loved the look of Beat 4.

Waders are on order, I'll get a wading stick from Grommit .............. the bad news is whilst pursuing the manly past time of carrying the washing downstairs I slipped and landed badly on my foot. Self diagnosis of a bit of a bruise turned out to be wrong ........ foot broken in two places ........ in plaster for upto 8 weeks:(

I might do a little nymphing/trotting/spinning down at the sluice gateend until I can walk properly.:eek:

Carlos

well i had my first outing yesterday, even with a brokenish foot. It's a lovely little river, managed to catch a chub, couple of perch and a grayling. No trout got in the way. It's not the clearest of streams (it's not chalk) however it is clear enough.

If you live down this way and like nice stream fishing then this is a lovely spot. Has to be light tackle, I managed to clumsily smash my favorite #5 on a branch and snapped the rod tip.:( Stick to 7 - 8ft 4's and 3's)

Luckily Mick Bell is a few miles down the road so I'll pester him next week for a replacement.

Carlos

I think 7. It is the one by the big sluice gate at the farm (the map is in my car). with the Orchard. (so second from last beat).

The water level was way down on when I had a look (without a rod) before I became a member, the gate was all the way up.

If my wife ends up going to her mothers I may come down for the afternoon on the other mixed beat, although I will be using my broken 5# as I haven't had the chance to get to Mick's. :( However as the other offer is to spend the afternoon watching England being thrashed ........ fishing with a broken rod wins ......... I'll sky plus England as insurance.

damper

East Sussex / Kent border near Tunbridge Wells
Oh yes, Thats Bockingfold you were on. Just downstream of the sluice live huge chub. When I first saw them in the summer I thought they were carp. Tried for them with all sorts of dries to no success.
I suggest you try the beat downstream of the weir at Harpers, again big chub live here. Access is via Harpers Farm, drive slowly down the track until you get to the designated parking place. Walk further down track to the river and you will hear the weir. The beat goes on for miles, bait fishers will be here as well.
Damps

Carlos

Just spent the day below the weir and past the tractor bridge, it's certainly a lovely stretch with really mixed water. It does get very deep down towards the iron foot bridge and in the end I had to back out. which was a shame as I would have liked to fished just over the natural rock weir there.

The important thing was the fishing though, challenging casting no chub just some over wintering rainbows on a pink shrimp.

I'll be back to hunt those elusive grayling.

Carlos

Well yesterday caught my first Kentish Grayling or is it Grayling of Kent. I get confused which side of the Medway you have to be. Two of them anyway each of no more than 6 inches caught just before the stream joins the Teise on beat 4.

Beyond that there was only rainbows getting in the way. It's a strange little stream ........ I have tried wading to the iron footbridge near Tanners farm from both ends ........ but the stream narrows through some bed rock and gets well above wading height in both directions.

I think I might have to do some moutaineering to get down to that little natural rock weir by the foot bridge. All good fun though and amazing considering your in rural kent.

Also the pub to lunch in is the Half Way House ........ 8 real ales from the barrel, roaring log fire, good basic food. Just what you need after being in freezing water for a good six hours.

damper

East Sussex / Kent border near Tunbridge Wells
Carlos, Looks like you are enjoying yourself on the river and exploring. Well done on the grayling. Is that the stream that enters below Harpers wier. I call the spot the the Junction Pool. I hooked a pike here in the spring on a streamer, it stayed on for about 3 seconds before breaking the tippet !!
Have you met many others fishing or are you the only one?
I have not got a winter permit as I fish a bit closer to home at this time of the year, only 5 mins drive, and have been catching loads of grayling to trotted maggot. Others have been equally successful as well, juvenile sizes up to 1.5 lbs have been caught. Caught a 1lb wildie on crust intended for Mr Chub on Monday, others had grayling, chub and gudgeon but it was hard fishing. Rod rings were iceing up and reel refused to turn freely !!
Is it the Half Way house at Brenchley where you had a pint? Good pub!!

Carlos

Hi, Yes the Halfway House at Brenchley, stonking pub after a cold day. I have met only three people, two regular tortters and another guy I didn't catch the name of.

I took a friend down and we went trotting. There is a pool way down from the tractor bridge just before there is a really deep part where you can't wade (after that there is the iron foot bridge and natural weir). We pulled six 2 - 4lb chub out of there with maggots and a fair few unwanted rainbows.

Tanners weir yielded six good sized grayling as well.

Carlos

Had another cracking day on the Teise.

Trotted in the morning, parked in the caravan park and wandered up the river to the tractor bridge. I had a dozen chub up to 3lb's, a few roach mixed in with a few stocked rainbows in fighting mood ........ weirdly I caught a good 2lb brown where the little carrier joins the river ......... I am presuming it was mixed in with the rainbow stocking at some point. Great looking fish.

In the afternoon I then went down stream of the iron foot bridge for a good mile. The river is a lot deeper, mostly to deep to wade. It's a shame there are no access points as it makes getting into the many many great looking pools almost impossible ... I only managed a couple of rainbows on the fly.

The Orvis Superfine 1oz 6'6" #2 is the perfect tool.

goatfish

Tiese last Friday

Went fishing last Friday down at harpers. Grayling getting tough. Caught a few rainbows and lost a grayling.

The river is stocked with browns and rainbows. Always seem to be a large number which over winter. Anyway, I met a chap called martin last Friday who was performing an insect survey. Very interesting, looks like insect growth is relatively stable and full of diversit with the odd stone fly which is a good sign. However, it's not increasing which is a shame as there isn't probably enough food for larger natural fish. Though one bright thing is I got a grayling well over a pound in the harpers stretch in January, so there must be food somewhere.

Enjoy the new season fishing, you'll love it.

Cheers

Goatfish

Carlos

I have already booked Monday week off. I'm at Twickers on the Sunday.

When I was there two weeks ago there was a pretty big dark olive hatch coming off in the evening down at the small carrier where you park at Harpers.

I must admit the chub fishing was amazing this winter. But I have caught a lot of Grayling and a few over a pound ...... they are either in the weir pool at Harpers or in that stretch just before the little carrier.

I really want to explore the section from Harpers to the split in the river ........ but boy that stretch is very deep and very hard to get to as the banks are steep and overgrown with brambles.

Carlos

What a great days fishing. Second day of the season and I thought the river would be packed ......... well Harpers to Soneybridge had the some total of 3 anglers including me.

Caught a couple of rainbows in a large pool by the shooting range.

The fishing was all nymph, there was very little fly life until late in the afternoon. The only rising fish was a school of small chub up near Stoneybridge, but I couldn't work out what they were taking.

Look forward to a quiter time at work when I can steal some time ........... rather than them stealing my time!

Carlos

I'll keep this thread alive as there maybe a few people in London looking for river fishing.

I went yesterday evening and I will be going today. The river is starting to come alive. The banks are peppered with wild garlic, primroses and bluebells. This is going to be a very wild river once the bank vegetation grows properly and that along with the very steep banks will make for some difficult fishing.

I am using a 6' 6" Orvis superfine #2 1oz. It is one hell of a rod and just perfect for the Teise as it is never more than 12ft across. For flies it's a pretty mixed bag. The Teise is not a natural stronghold for wild trout, the river flows out of Bewl water through the clay beds of the Kent Weald. This also means it is subject to Spate from both runoff and from Bewl Water release and can also be pretty cloudy for much of the time.

There are browns but they are tiny, the main natural fish is chub and there are many and of good size. Augmenting this is a rainbow stocking. So for flies it's a mixed approach. For the stocks then it is mostly lure fishing to be truthful, although people keep telling me on the less accessible parts the rainbows have gone native and will rise, but mostly they feed on the minnow population (fly life is not great as the heavy vegetation and steep banks mean the river does not have a productive environment).

The main difference is targeting the chub on the fly, they rise and in season they are good fishing. Last night I took two unintentionally on a black natt along with two 4" wild browns. The Rainbows I took were on mayfly nymph and green damsels.

What this river is though is incredibly peaceful and great fun. If you like your rivers wild then this is the place. I love going down to fish it and for this part of the world it's the closest you can get to traditional trout stream fishing.

Carlos

Spent the day on the Teise ........ cold, wet, muddy and fishless. Saw three rises all day.

The highlight of the day was two pints and ham egg and chips at the halfway house in Brenchley.

Carlos

What a beautiful afternoon and evening on the Teise. There was a steady trickle of upwings and spinners on the river. A huge amount of nats and damsels.

The fish were rising pretty steadily for the Teise and I took all of them bar one on the dry and wet fly. I was letting the wet sink a little and the fish were going for it. Later I used drys and there were some spectacular takes.

I am now always starting off on beat 3 just below the EA weir. There is a good fast section there that the wild brownies and chub prefer. I watched a little 6" brownie dart from under a bramble bush and take anything that moved early in the afternoon ............. I had him on a black nat.

There were a lot of fish but the one that really capped the day was a small rainbow stockie. He was rising at the head of the big pool by the footbridge on beat 2 ........ initially I couldn't cast far enough with my 2 weight ....... but I scrambled down the bank at the head and cast a mayfly right where he was rising and bang the thing leaped out of the water and put up one hell of a fight.

Best day yet on the Teise. I'll keep my lonely little thread going in the hope that you all enjoy it .............. and others may join in.