Teise Angling

Carlos

Teise was pretty busy this evening. Most of the people I met on beat 2 were fishing on the deeper stretch near to Stonebridge ....... they were using small still water tactics i.e. single green damsels or cats whiskers and were pulling out stockie rainbows.

I disappeared further upstream to the pools upstream of Iron Bridge where there was still a good trickle of mayfly coming off the water. Both brown trout and the birds were having a good old feast.

Caught a mixture of stocked browns and wild ones as well in the faster narrower stretches. Either on black nats or Grey Woolf's. It was good fishing, I thought it would be tough with the change of temp' but they were rising steadily.

The fish were pretty spooky, which is rare on the Teise as it is coloured water. But the water was the clearest I have seen. I had to sit in some spots for a good 15mins waiting for fish to rise again after my clumsy stomping around in the undergrowth.

Carlos

Spent the evening on the Teise, lots of fish rising. But not trout all chub, had three on a black nat .............. very strange.

Carlos

First time for a while I have been to the river, the bank side weed growth is in full flow. It's unfortunate, but the Himalayan Balsam is well and truly out of control ....... it's choking back the stinging nettles! There is a plant I thought I would never have any sympathy for.

The occasional fish were rising but not many. The wind and a little rain had certainly stopped the fly life, with the exception of the water boatman and nats which the fish never take on the Teise.

Still managed a bag full, 4 browns all about the 12+" mark. As the fish will still rise to the very few upwing around, I persisted with a Grey Woolf. I am going down tomorrow this time to try the really wild bits where I am told shoals of huge unfished for chub live .......... I am sure it's rubbish but hey I'll enjoy the hunt.

If anyone is reading this and is interested, I have a small party from the Wandle Piscators coming down to fish the Teise this Friday coming. I have had a couple of drop outs so if you would like to join us let me know ........ worst case is you may have to join the Wandles as there are no day tickets on the river and this fishing trip is by special dispensation. PM me if interested.

Last edited:

Carlos

I wandered down to the Teise before the snows arrived. The water is up and clouded.

I paid this year again for the winter fishing permit. But I am struggling to see when it will be used. They will be soon be releasing the flood water from Bewl and the river will be a torrent. I I get some pictures I will show them.

For those thinking of joining the winter season is only £35 for mixed fishing. But you still need to use it. Roll on the new season.

Carlos

Well I am biased as I am a member. Yes. But I have sent you a PM to give you some information.

This is not some pure wild Kentish trout stream. It is a very pretty liitle river running into the Medway which is stocked in the main. The wild fishing is Grayling, some trout and great chub. But it is long 8 miles of river and the wilder stretches there a lot of 'gone native' stockies which rise. Considering the number of trout I catch winter trotting there is a very good over wintered head of fish as well.

Yes there are hatches in spring, mayfly, olives etc. The Autumn hatch has been poor the last couple of years with the daddy long legs being very scant.

Carlos

Helped out on the pre-season stocking on Tuesday. Mixture of small browns and good sized rainbows. There will be a further stocking in three weeks and if it has dried out we'll be able to get to do the 'rural' bits. Problem was the river was in spate and a nice chocolate brown. For a bunch of fish bred in a stew pond this was going to be one hell of a shock and I hope they won't be washed out.

The river opens on Saturday ........... but I have no Easter pass and I doubt it will be fishable any way. As soon as we have a couple of dry days I'll be down there.

The weird thing is this river is less than an hour from South London and yet there is no waiting list, in fact membership was down this year. 8 miles of river, very lightly fished in a wonderful and beautiful spot. Yet the local syndicate still water 'Kingfishers' has a huge waiting list ............. just bizarre and unaccountable. If you are out there and reading I would urge you to join this is wonderful stream fishing even if it isn't wild.

Last edited:

Carlos

Well now I have yet another small stream rod I need to make some time to get to the river. I see the weather is set fine for this week so hopefully the flow will be down and I can start fishing maybe this Friday or Saturday evening.

I am committed to get some photos this year and get this going as a semi blog. There are plenty of stretches I have yet to fish which I will try for this season.

One thing 400 fish went in last week and another couple of hundred will go in at the end of the month.

Carlos

Went down for a few hours this evening. The river was down to a fishable level and the water is beginning to clear .... but for it to clear on the Teise we'll need at least two weeks of dry weather.

Caught three trout deep down on a GRHE, so a nice little session.

Carlos

Had a pass for a long mornings fishing which I grabbed with both hands. The river is beginning to become lush around the banks and the stinging nettles and other native plants are dominant. Unfortunately by mid summer the Himalayan Balsam will have taken over ........ at least the bumble bees will be happy.

The rain we have had means the river will always be cloudy. We need a good couple of dry hot weeks to stop the run off colouring the water. Still the water in the faster section was clear enough.

I was surprised with such a cold north wind I thought the fishing would be hard. However I think they stocked last week and the Gold Bead PTN took a good dozen fish. Later I switched to a klink to go after the few fish (probably over wintered fish) that were rising for hawthorns and a few olives coming off.

This is one that came home for tea with me:

fly tie phil

coloured water!!!!

Hi Carl, What a bad evening fishing.. when I got there the water was so coloured up I could only see about 6 or 7 inches.. and me with 3 boxes of dries and only two nymphs on my patch. What a lemon. I was not the only confused fisher that evening. Do you or anyone know why it was so muddy when we have not had any rain for a month? Did hook into a fiesty rainbow with a Charles Jardine holy grail, but after three attempts to give me a shower it was off. Only other high light was watching a 40 ft flight of a kingfisher.
Cheers
Phil

Carlos

I was down on the river this afternoon and evening. The water was a good flow and relatively clear. It was probably the busiest I have ever seen it, seven of us fishing beats 2 - 4.

There were a couple of committee members and they said there had been some test releases from Bewl. So you were just unlucky. The river only ever gets very clear when the flow is very low and then the fishing gets hard.

There was a good trickle of mayfly and hawthorn. The guys I spoke to said the fish had been gorging on hawthorn over the last couple of weeks if the ones they had spooned were anything to go by. But today the fish were rising to the sporadic mayfly and I'd think the hatch will happen over the next three or four weeks. It is never prolific just a steady trickle which brings the fish to the surface.

I had a fantastic afternoon, ten fish in all. I fished a small grey wolff to rising fish and kept on catching. I had fish from 8" right up to a fat monster 22" which bent the #3 weight to the max. All you had to be is patient and wait for the rises to happen.

Carlos

After earning many brownie points yesterday I was allowed out for a short session. Why is it the longer I am married I seem to be further from the many things I used to love doing ............ the Half Way house at Brenchley had a beer festival with 60 real ales. Surely it would only be fair for me to spend a morning fishing and an afternoon sampling them.

However at least I got some fishing in and one quick pint.

The fishing was not as good as Friday. I think because I was on Beat 4 Harpers Farm which is much more wooded. With the wind that meant the mayfly weren't distracting the fish.

Still managed to get a small stocked rainbow rising just behind an over hanging bush. I saw plenty of chub darting about but not feeding on anything (dry or nymph). Just before the carrier rejoins the river where the Grayling tend to be, a lovely Perch kept darting between my legs.

All in all lovely snatched couple of hours.

fly tie phil

beat 4

I was on the other end of beat four from the division to the bridge (parked at Great Cheveny)on sun afternoon / eve and there was plenty of mayfly around but not too much rise patterns, lost a rising rainbow as it decided to take off towards me and I could not keep enough tension on the line, did catch a chub around 2lbs on a nymph, a first for me, lost a couple of flies due to breezy weather. Enjoyed watching a wren darting across the river taking mays.
Been trout less for last three visits..If it wasn't for bad luck he'd have no luck at all!
Here's to the next time
Phil

Carlos

Hi, I am trying to steal as many hours on the river as possible. I was down last night. But the rain had cooled the air and there was little activity.

I fished the deep section just before Harpers Weir and pulled a rainbow out. But that was it.

There is a slim chance I will be down on Saturday afternoon for a few hours. If you want to meet up. I can give you a steer on beats 2 -3. The fishing should be good as they stocked on Tuesday and the warm weather will get the mayfly going.

fly tie phil

how about Sun

Can't make Sat pm, already skiving off work to play a gig in ottershaw near Chertsey! I was going to try to get down this evening (fri) but too weary, Did a 17 hour day thurs..... Hope to get over on Sun morning really early before the rain comes in with a bit of luck. Would be great to meet up on the river sometime... I'm sure our paths will cross! Cheers for now
Phil

Carlos

Hi just got back after a couple of hours. The river is falling but has obviously been up a bit and is pretty coloured.

Still managed a small rainbow and a small brown on the dry. There were one or two mayfly but I must admit I thought it would be pretty good.

I was fishing beat 2 just after the wood.

fly tie phil

green with

How do you manage to get so much time on the river??
I must work too much!!
How long does it take you to get down from Se london?
I will look forward to a guide to the stream, some general pointers on where would be great. But for now, until we bump into each other keep us posted with what and where, don't forget the all important fly.
Tight lines and here's to a jerk on both ends of the line!! and other cliches..
Phil