Teise Angling

Carlos

Well, I have to travel about by car quite a bit as my teams are in different places. So I zip around the M25 fish for a couple of hours and then get home. However as half term is over I'll be back to trains next week.

My travel time is between 40mins and 1hr10mins ..... depending on certain factors. So pretty good.

Went out again yesterday evening. I have been told why the water is coloured, Bewl is 100% full and so they keep releasing mucky water into the stream.

Still managed a little rainbow on the grey wulff.

fly tie phil

just missed you

Must have just missed you as I fished from lunch to 4.30 at harpers. Had a lot of trouble spooking fish so after a chub on a parachute adams went to the pool below the weir and took a rainbow, and then caught a small brown under the tree above the weir just weir side of the foot bridge, both on a gh hare's ear. Met baliff Morris who gave some pointers, I asked him about forums on the tiese from other members which he said had been vaguely discussed at the last agm. Hope to get down Thursday eve. Really pleased to have broken the poor run! Have had a few problems with roll casting, can't seem to get much distance... What sort of distance should I expect to roll? What leaders etc do you use?
Cheers
Phil

Carlos

It is basically practice and timing. I am not the worlds best either and actually I do find some rods much better than others.

I generally use a 7' rod of #3 or #4. With leaders I use tapered. I use a 6' braided leader (Fred Dibble from spiders plus) and then a 2 -3' tippet around the 4lb mark so as to prevent any break off's. You will find with the braided leaders they do not tangle as much and are very strong so landing a fly in a bush means it is only the fly that stays there. Also I just love the turn over ..... however they do sink as they soak. You have to decide whether to put floatant on them or not .... I don't I like them sunk.

On the Teise you do have to learn creative flicks, underarm casting etc. and the more you do it the better you get. It is a luxury to have space for a clear overhead, generally you have to be wading or in the larger pools.

If you can afford it there is a APGAI coach that fishes the river and lives in Brenchley you can spend a day with him and the amount you will learn is amazing.

fly tie phil

flicks and rolls

Thanks Carlos, I will keep up the practice. I have a day booked with Frank Williams on the Dore, a trib of the Usk in late July as we are having a break on a canal boat in Brecon. If the river is not similar for him to teach me then I will certainly seek out the guide down here for a morning or day. Hope to get over Sunday. Cheers Phil

fly tie phil

I begin to understand...

Had a great day on the Tiese today, finished with two rainbows in the bag, three browns returned, and a few missed oppotunities. Started off at the iron bridge on beat two. I had decided to fish upstream from there as I haven't explored that bit yet. I sat with a cup of coffee tying a new tippet on and generally watching the river.. not a rise to be had, water still a bit coloured from the rain on Thursday evening, so I tied on a tungsten bead hare's ear I had created during the week listening to Mike Harding's radio two folk music show, my usual time at the tying bench (or "the kitchen table" as the wife calls it) it is in a Peter Cockwill style but I like to put on a 2.5mm black tungsten bead instead of the usual 3mm brass one.15 minutes in and time to step into the water with as much caution as possible.. don't want to spook the whole pool by being clumsy... first cast, just a general search out into the middle, focused on the end of the fly line looking for any twitch. "They" always say the first cast is the most important, the most likely, all is quiet.. until a big Golden Labrador comes crashing into the water, bounding right up to me. I have already reeled in my line by the time the owner has called the dog away... I move on to the next pool further up stream away from the public footpath.... I am glad to say that I did not see anyone else today.. except this chap! and he was no bother.
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/photos/data/500/13062010010_2120_-_Copy.jpg
I can see beat 2 becoming a favourite, particularly the upstream end.
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/photos/data/500/13062010007_2117.jpg
I only saw one mayfly today drifting on the current, guess it is over for those Guys. Do you know if there is a caddis hatch?

Last edited:

Carlos

Nice picture of the river. For me the stretch up from iron bridge is the nest on the river. It has the most variation and is certainly the prettiest. I love fishing upstream from the big pool right until the second large pool.

Then it all gets quite again as this gets quite a way from any access.

You used to be able to access it at beat 1 but they have closed this off as this was the poachers entrance.

fly tie phil

what time do you call this!!

Hi Carl, have you been down south recently?
Was at harpers weir on Sun morning, real early, well as early as I could risk disturbing the wife without a divorce on a sun morn... Fishing by 5.45. Not much from the weir and below. It was even cold at that time, very nice. A small brown from above the weir to a nymph and then two missed rainbows on a parachute adams size 16. Not sure if they are particularly adept at spitting them out or I am incompetant at setting the hook..... Nice few hours before it got too hot, then home by 10.
Cheers
Phil :cool:

Carlos

That is early, I am generally a other end of the day man and the temptation of the Half Way House always gets me in the end.

I haven't been down for weeks, but I will be down next weekend i.e. the 26th and probably meet up with another member. I'll let you know which day.

fly tie phil

eve

I know what you mean about evenings, I was over just above Harpers under the shade of trees last Wed for the evening catching on all sorts of dries. can you believe there were still a few mayflies hatching... Am away in Wales from 23rd Jul to 3 Aug. Maybe hook up after that.. when I've caught up with all the work left from being away.... or leave that and go fishing...
Hope the weather is kind and a hatch is on, is there a caddis fly population in the Teise?
Cheers
P

Carlos

Spent my first full day for a while on the Teise yesterday. Early morning the fishing was fantastic with fish rising all over the place.

The fly life this year has been up spectacularly on previous years. The river was full of hawthorn and a good sprinkling of upwings ........ not an expert so couldn't tell you which breed. Also the river was the best I have seen it. The flow was up to high on the summer scale and the water just about as clear as the Teise ever gets.

As the sun rose so the fishing died away. So spent a very long lunch in the Halfway House followed by a pleasant if slow early evening on the river. But it is days like this that you realise why you are a member of this river ....... wild and difficult to access but a lovely calm place to be.

Carlos

Two Saturdays in a row. What a bonus .......... I suppose I should be thinking about the quality time I am missing with my daughter. But I'm a man, I'll get over it .... quickly.

What an afternoon as well. Arrived about 4:30ish sluggish to start with and switched from dry to nymph. Managed a couple of fish in an hour. Then the fish started to rise. Not huge rises just occasional takes all in the same place.

Put on a small mayfly. I started taking a fish every couple of casts. Wading up stream I took fish after fish in pool after pool. Sometime three from the same head or tail of the pool.

This does not happen on the Teise. These are stocked browns not wild fish dependent on the food source. Still what an evening ..... departed at 8pm a very happy man.

Had a couple of pints of Betty Stoggs at the Half Way house to celebrate.

Carlos

Went for a few hours yesterday evening. The fly life this year is the best I have knowm, the upwings are a constant stream on the river. The Teise is lucky as the flow is constant due to the steady release from Bewl water.

Along with the great fly life, good flows the club is now stocking small browns. They seem to rise a lot more and spread out along the river, which creates great sport.

It was another cracking evening with four fish all to a small grey wulff.

Carlos

Managed to steal a couple of hours on the river yesterday evening. The first good evening we have had for a few weeks. The flow has not been increased with all the rain and the clarity at the moment is supurb.

The fish seemed to be supping small flies off the surface, but they were igniring everything I threw at them. I tried a small black klink for a second spell and one rose aggressively as it landed but I lost it.

But a pleasant last of the summer evening was had ............. once again the river was crowded by only me.

fly tie phil

black death

Hi C,
Have been slack on reports recently... apologies.
Fished on Sun morning at Harpers Weir.. above the weir I ws greeted by a relaxed cormorant making his way down towards me diving and fishing as he came... no point there. Not much moving below the weir although I released a good fighting rainbow in the white water. Fished just below the grayling pool to some very skitish small browns... too clumsey.. when a pod of about 18 trout wandered past and then back to settle in front of me but they were not feeding.. possibly new inmates? Made my way down to the tractor bridge to see a very thin torpedo shaped fish... into the water and up real close.. a pike.. bloody hell couldn,t catch him either!
Decided to fish B/H mon eve on upper 2. Fished a new zealand style and took two on the nymph. Both trips I did not see a soul... I'm not one to complain but are we the only ones who fish here?. Great selection of wild mushrooms in the field by the pump station at the top of 2, enjoyed a giant puff ball mushroom. Cheers P

Carlos

I was down on the Friday. The river was pretty busy, there were 6 cars in the Stone Bridge car park, plus the bailiff and his PC friend who patrols from time to time.

The river was the clearest I have ever seen it and down at least a foot on normal flow levels.

If you fish upstream from Stone Bridge then you'll find the Sloe bushes are coming into full ripeness. I have never seen a larger amount of bushes.

People are beginning to catch pike again and I now see roach and obviously chub. They no longer constantly take the coarse fish out these days. Although there is an annual pike match and I think the committee want to do two for beats two to four to take some out, especially now they are stocking these wee browns.

Been the best season for me, fantastic fly life, great clarity after the dry period and I have ad great fun with these small browns. Also the Association is full for the first time in years which is very encouraging.

Carlos

Season opened on Sunday, but of course Mothers day took precedence, I bet the fishing was good. The bailiffs and grayling fishers reported large numbers of over wintered fish ......... these are always the free risers and great sport.

The stocking was over a week back so the fish should be settled. Not sure when I'll be able to get to the river though ...... work and family are impinging quite severely.

Still really looknig forward to it

fly tie phil

At last the new season

Hi Carlos, It may have been Mothering Sunday but I still managed to get over to beat two and had four browns and one rainbow, kept a brace. All on gold head hare's ear size 14. Did hear about 5 or 6 rises but could not convert. Probably have to wait for the Hawthorns. The brown I took had no red spots so I assumed it was a stocky but on gutting it the flesh was definitely wild and the gut was stuffed with black beetles... looking forward to getting back over soon.
Water a little cloudy hence the gold head, but not high. Will try to get over Fri pm or Sunday.

Carlos

Had my first day on the river today. Spent the afternoon walking down beat 3 and 2. Didn't see a fish for the first few hours tried nymphing in all the usual pools but not a bite. Also not a another soul on the river, I thought there would be a few.

Not until late afternoon when the few first upwings started coming off on the more secluded pools, which were out of the wind, did I find some rising fish. All in the same strtch after the large pool by iron bridge.

Took three all on a small grey wulf, which has always been most productive fly on this river. This was the best of the three:

Last edited:

fly tie phil

envy

What a great start to the season, three on the dry!!
In had Fri eve on 4... still can't sus it out, blanked:-(. Popped over early Sun morning early. Only had one brown out of pool in upper 2, very deep on a tungsten hares ear. I must remember to take a camera... Looking forward to the hawthorns.... My plan for this season is to catch a tiese grayling, any help on this challenge would be most gratefully recieved!!..

Carlos

Well, my view is patience. The easiest places get fished out quickly. I always have a quick fish in the first major bend on beat 3. The one up stream of the Stone Bridge carp park. Then I am off through the woods, through the next gate. Then I start waiting, there are three great pools before Iron bridge, but you have to just wait if you are fishing dry. Saturday there was nothing, so I kept going. So after the big pool past Iron bridge there are a couple of great pools where the fish rise under the hawthorns and brambles ...... there they wait and if you catch one another steals their place.

If you want a Grayling then there is only one place. Go to Harpers and then fish either the weir or the straight piece before the small carrier meets the river. Many years ago they were stocked there and that is the only place I have ever caught.

In that pool and below it there is a family of chub. I have never ever caught one, they have seen everything. You can see them, you can't spook them, they just will not touch anything.

Ahhh I love the challenges of this river.