Teise Angling

Carlos

Pending release papers I may be there Sunday. If so and your around we could meet ......... last port of call is always the Half Way House pub, can't resist a good pint of British beer.

fly tie phil

an offer I cannot refuse

Sunday is good, Just name time and place. I'm easy to find.... 6 ft 6 and drive a red smart convertable!! Yes my clown car. looking forward to it.

Phil

Carlos

Good to meet you Phil, we would definitely make a good test team for extreme wading sizes.

That was a hard day ......... and I have no idea why. I stayed until nearly 7pm and only had a solitary over wintered rainbow on a gold head nymph.

Hope to bump into you again.

fly tie phil

I believe Mike Harding has a similar problem with leg length!! Always beware where I am wading... it may be deeper than you thought!! Great to catch up at last. I did not get any more on the way back. I would have thought that with the temperatures and lowish flow there would have been more of a rise. With the weather set fair this week perhaps it will improve. Was considering chucking some fluff around down on 6 on B/H Mon
Cheers
Phil

Carlos

I was there this Sunday getting nearly blown away. The good thing about the Teise is that it meanders about and has very high banks so there is always some quite corner.

I fished from Stonebridge to the second very large pool past iron bridge (that is the new wooden one now). Fishing was slow and most people didn't catch. The interesting thing was that there were trickles of Olives, mayfly and a small upwing which my limited entomology did not stretch to identify.

I caught three trout and also about a hundred trees with the gusting wind. A big 3lb rainbow in the fast section in the first woods on beat 3, using a weighted red tag. After that I hung around sheltered pools waiting for fish to show and they did. I missed a couple at the bottom of beat two on a sheltered bend and then managed to get one further up before the big pool. Then another in the narrow section by the last pool of the wooded section on beat 3.

To be honest I very rarely nymph fish, but people do very well on normal still water nymphs in the deeper sections especially just past Stonebridge car park and up from the bridge at Harpers weir. I generally keep to dry fly on the smaller bends where the fish hide under weeds and trees. These days that means mostly beat 2 and 3 with rare visits to 4.

Once you get past 4 you are talking mostly a chub fishery. Although I have caught pike and perch in beat 7.

The water is beginning to clear up and as long as e don't get to much run off then will become crystal clear by mid Juneish. Last year was remarkable, never seen it so clear.

elucius

Thanks Carl the advice is really helpful and much appreciated.
Will be making my first trip next week so will report back on progress!
John

Carlos

Fished on Saturday. Boy what a tough day, the very few upwings coming off were blown away in the wind. I saw three fish rise all day, managed to catch two of them, both in my favourite little pools. The only other fish was was on a gold head hairs ear.

Bad day though for fly losses, I madly plumped for the two weight and casting was so difficult I was reduced to using a very truncated leader.

The water is clearing though .... after the rain we have had this may change.

fly tie phil

Just got back from an evenings play...
Fish rising to mayfly, ignoring most other patterns.
Caught three, released one, dropped two.
Great couple of hours, water not bad considering the rain.
Spent some time gardening the himilayan Balsam.. needs a lot more work.
I was thinking of spending a day mid Aug...
Cheers
Phil

Carlos

It fishes well in August. The water is released from the bottom of Bewl, so if there is nothing to stir it up (like the rain today) then it get s very clear. But importantly the temprature stays constant and cool so the fish keep feeding.

fly tie phil

Popping down for an early session on Sun morning. I have been mulling over a Tenkara rod.... Not sure if a fixed line 12 foot rod is a good idea on the Tiese?
Any experience on this one Carl?

richieb03

Hello guys, have found this thread interesting and useful. Have joined the Teise society and am going down to the pike match on Saturday to fish the river for the first time................am very much looking forward to the season and interested if the thread is to be kept going..........maybe see you at the Teise some time.

Rich

fly tie phil

Glad you've joined the Teise lot. Not much goes on online... as you may have seen. Me and Carl occasionally post something. Let us know if you want the heads up on flies I have used. Generally prefer to sight fish with Dries upstream, and no I,m not in my 70's.. 43 tomorrow.... so will not be at the Pike day... working.. Looking forward to the season, not sure what will happen this year with Bewl being so low, it feeds the tiese. I will try to post when I plan to go on the river in the season so if you want to meet up and the timing works with you, then all well and good. Cheers for now Phil

richieb03

Phil, happy birthday!

Yes, any advice on flies, tactics etc very gratefully received as would hooking up if diaries allow. My casting technique looks like it is going to have to develop pretty quickly - especially delivering a dry fly acceptably!

Must say everyone I met at the pike match today was incredibly helpful and nice especially Phil H who showed me around. I don't think anyone caught a pike but there seemed to be plenty of over-winterd rainbows going for the spratts / plugs that were on offer. I must say I am now officially over-excited for the season to begin, the river looks like it will be challenging, but immense fun and is in a beautiful setting, and all just a short drive from London!?!?!.................

Considering booking a days holiday for the opening day............

Rich

fly tie phil

Hi Rich,
I'm not sure I am the best to ask advice from but I can tell you what has occasionally worked for me! I use a 3 weight 6ft 6, with a 7 foot 5lb leader with a 2.4 lb tippet. I find this will turn over a fly pretty well on a roll cast which I probably use 60% of the time, and this is why I don,t use a furled leader which would be better on turn over but holds water which is only released on a false cast. Don't like giving a trout a shower on a roll cast before the fly hits the water. I think Carl prefers a furled leader and can tell you why you should use one!!! I like to wade to places where the older fly men don't get to. The Tiese has a great hatch of hawthorn fly from end of April for around 3 weeks, which is my early season dry action especially on 2 and 4.Warmer weather can bring this forward a few days Standard mayfly and nymphs during the season. I use sawyer pheasant tails and hare's ears with a gold rib and black tungsten bead for faster or deeper water. The other must have for me is parachute adams in 14,16,and 18. I find that most of the time they fish are oppotunistic and will take most things if presented well. Always remember the first cast is the most important and best chance so do not rush into it. Also there is a a few family pods of chub... they have seen everything.. but can sometimes be tricked into taking something, they suffer in a long struggle so release quickly and keep them in the water. Great on a hawthorn. great fun, Let me know how you get on.
Phil

fly tie phil

Just got back from working on the river and thought I would share with you some of my findings.... Did a little kick sampling and found a range of invertebrates, not a dominance of any one but I'm not sure what that means... Phil H. is the man to ask that... Mayfly (a few different ones), gammarus shrimp, caseless caddis, Crane fly lavae, Lots of agile darters, bloodworms and midge lavae. Hope that helps with your fly selection. It always makes me look at the flies I tie and think I must work smaller..... Cheers Phil

Carlos

Last year I went down on opening day ............ apart from the bailiff I was it on beat 4 - 2. I reckon the early dry fly fishing early this year will be amazing as there has been no flood releases from Bewl, so the over wintered fish will be very plenty, hungry and gone native.

Beginning of the year I start with a short rod, but as the balsam grows I turn to an 8' 4#.

Personally I only dry fly fish it. You will always catch a fish if you are patient and wade to the right places. I go to Stonebridge car park and walk straight upstream through the first two fields and the woods and then drop down on to the bend just before the wood ends and you cross the wood bridge into the field (literally leaning against the tree at the edge of the pool) ...... be patient and there will always be a fish rising. As a new member by the way don't do what I do, fish all along the stretch, including the weir pool by the car park. When you cross the road the first field is looked after by the land owners and there are lovely places to fish and the most productive spot in the whole fishery is the loopy bend in that field with the big willow at the start (get your fly under that they are all in there). When you get to the first little wood there is the remains of a bridge after the pool, drop down by the tree at the fast section and cast a nymph down stream, then drag a nymph up ..... it's a good spot. The next field is straight and there are always fish in it but they can see you as it s shallow. You can wade all the way along and get out just as the next wood starts.

Also don't do any of this without a wading stick ...... and be careful. This is Wealden clay ..... some of it my have turned to rock, but two steps later it'll be 12ft deep.

After that fish all over in the next field as different sections hold fish depending on the cover and weed growth through the season, but after the Iron bridge pool, the biggest on the fishery. go to the first left hand bend and drop into the pool there, wade onto the middle of the inside bend tucking yourself into the bank. You will always get rising fish in that sheltered pool, even if you wait 30mins or try to force a rise with a big mayfly and a very un-delicate turn over .............. these are stocked fish after all. The next big pool is a nymph pool. However the iron bridge pool can be amazing sport, the fun way to fish it is to stay on the right hand bank and slip down the bank right at the head of the pool ..... there is a rock ledge a foot under the water you can stand on and fish a nymph down stream, there is a little bush on the right, that tends to hold the fish.

Never ever think there are no fish in this river, it is stuffed full. However the longer they stay the more they focus on the snails and fry. I saw a poacher once in Iron Bridge pool and he started fishing with maggots and in the 5 minutes it took me to cross the field he had four trout ......... when he left I fished it with a pink nymph and blanked for an hour.

As you get to the top of beat 2 you have to wait and search, the fishing here is much, much more difficult and wild. You rarely get regular and consistent rising fish so wait and be patient. It is like the mayfly, they are constant but only trickle off the water.

If you are going down to Harpers this is more the nymph fishing areas. The weir often has something in it with a good chance of a grayling. The pool where the carrier joins is normally a banker on Nymph ........... and that family of chub? They know you are there and they have seen it all ........... I have tried and tried and tried. But unless it's the winter fishing with a maggot, forget it.

Last edited:

richieb03

Guys,

I very much appreciate the advice. I wasn't able to make it yesterday - but I have a pink ticket for this weekend.............hope it warms up a little, but will let you know how I get on.....

Thanks again!
Rich

fly tie phil

Went over to the river around lunch time on Tuesday.. Nothing to dries despite small olives coming off the water. Caught 7 to small nymphs, mainly in deeper water and with gentle takes on dead drift. Great start hope to get over on sun early. I think it will have had a bit of a pounding on 2 with the long weekend so I may go a ways down stream from Harpers... Will mull it over for couple of days and then probably change my mind on the drive over!! Water is great by Tiese standards so it looks good for the season.. Can't wait for the hawthorns.. Phil