Teise Angling

richieb03

So had my first experience of the Teise fly fishing this weekend. I fished from Harpers where the stream joins up to Ironbridge. I had 5 in total, but I must have missed 20 takes! I generally practice C&R but I did bring one home for supper.............A size 20 black gold headed hare's ear seemd to be favourite, a dead drift and then wham really quick takes, very hard to set the hook................and when that went quiet a switch to red buzzer / bloodworm seemed to enact a response, as this seemed to coincide with midges coming off. Did keep chancing my arm with an adams, but didn't get any response. The flow seems very slow, I guess this is due to the drought. I could have fished Ironbridge pool all day if it wasn't for the cold water being so cold I thought I would lose a toe!

There were so many beautiful little spots with a little bit of effort needed to fish, and with casting being quite challenging..........I guess there is quite a lot of water that is hardly ever fished.......I guess this is where the browns are hiding? I can see there is so much to explore here and so much to learn..........my appetite is well and truly whetted!

fly tie phil

Glad you had a great day. Sounds like you started at Stonebridge at the bottom of Ballards Hill and worked up stream. The pool at Iron bridge is usually a good bet as is the pool just on from it. The bends beyond that are great fun on dries. I fished early Sunday morning from Harper's Weir down stream and further than I have been before on that stretch. It is usually busy with people from the camp site so I have always avoided it, but chilly and early were my friends and I was into a fish at 7.30... Two Rainbows and then a good size brown 1 3/4 lb.All returned, very chuffed with those taken on ptn size 14. managed to scare a few small wild ones further down. interesting to see some of the river geography with such low water, I recon around 10 to 12 inches lower than normal. Shelves of iron stone with gullies cut into them up to 5 ft deep & 3 ft wide. All good fun.

richieb03

Second trip down, started from Stonebridge and worked my way up past Ironbridge. I think I caught a fish from each point I tried my fly (missed out big swathes of the river - stopping where prevously advised or where nice riffles and pretty backdrop)....................was really exciting fishing, the river is clearly full of fish............Kept to the gold head nymph, black size 14..........but there was more flow which made a big difference and the water was much clearer..........................a quicker retrieve seemed to be in order - caught almost as many browns as rainbows............probably the best 3 hours I've spent in a very very long time!

Had a really nice fin perfect brownie I would guess a tad under 2lb...........!

Brilliant.................

Ross

My first season on the Teise as well. I'm lucky I live about 7mins drive away!!! It is absolutely stunning and the trout are fantastic!
Just as another point has anyone lost a priest just down from Stonebridge found one last time I was out!

Ross

Loads of water overnight - know there's a few guys in essex who come down, went up to Ikea today and saw the flooding up there - still have a hose pipe ban? :)

richieb03

Hi, anyone know how the river is looking and how it is fishing..........might try my luck this weekend.

Rich

Carlos

Good to see you are all enjoying the river. I have had to suspend my membership due to cost constraints. But it is a wonderful place, we all have a favourite spots, but in the end I stuck to dry fly only just for the challenge.

I always caught on the first bend out of the woods as you walked to the iron bridge. Then always on the first big bend between the Iron bridge pool and the next pool upstream.

I have kept in at the Darent, one day I will definitely return.

pbaker

Re: Kentish Teise Angling

Hi Carlos

I am new to fly fishing and live in Maidstone, after being invited to fish the river Derwent last week which was absolutely brilliant, I am looking to try out a some of the rivers in Kent near to me I assume membership is required to fish this river and ask do you have contact details for registration etc . Paul

spotty herbert

Hi Carlos

I am new to fly fishing and live in Maidstone, after being invited to fish the river Derwent last week which was absolutely brilliant, I am looking to try out a some of the rivers in Kent near to me I assume membership is required to fish this river and ask do you have contact details for registration etc . Paul

Hi Paul, did you get information? I think the fishing on the Teise was advertised in the classifieds in Trout & Salmon and there are websites for the clubs. Cheers Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roger h 10

I'm hoping to fish the Teise on Tuesday as long as it's not too high or coloured. Do any Forum members fish here? If so any pointers would be much appreciated.

jaybizzle89

Hi all,

Happily resurrecting this wonderful thread.

I am a new member on the Teise. I went for a few hours fishing yesterday and it certainly is a picturesque, varied river. It looks like it is predominantly going to be wading-only (I probably fished half of beat 2 and can not see how one could present a fly properly from the bank, it is very overgrown). There was a pretty decent hatch coming off but I couldnt see any fish rising. I primarily fished a small gold head but no dice yesterday.

Roll casts and flicks are certainly the order of the day. I did manage a false cast or two on one beautiful stretch. My 7' 3wt Hardy Featherweight feels slightly overgunned. Possibly now in the market for a Superfine or something shorter and lighter..

Very much looking forward to unlocking a few of the river's secrects. Does anyone on here fish or have previously fished it? I am much more of a dry fly man at heart and would like to know if prospecting in the likely spots would offer some results on here.

parrot

Hi Jay. It might be worth PM’ing Roger H as I know that Roger has fished it fairly recently. I hope to fish it soon (my club has a reciprocal arrangement) but not managed it yet.

I have walked along part of it and, as you say, the access is interesting.

Carlos

I fished it for a few years, but for various reasons I had to give it up.

It is lovely and fishes better after a dry period as it definitely is a spate stream. In the winter it can be a raging torrent you shouldn't go anywhere near. You'll start to find the spots where the fish tend to rise more often. I always preferred the river up-stream of the Goudhurst Road car park. All along that section is bank fishing and you can see where the access points are for the less able or those preferring not to wade.

Places to get fish on that stretch, remember this is eight years ago, are on the first sweeping bend under a big willow. You then walk through a wood where there are two good spots and then over a little bridge ...... on that right angle bend you can scramble down to the tree on the corner, I always found a fish on that bend ..... might have changed.

Then as you come into the field in low water you can wade right upto the big pool after the footpath bridge and there are generally fish there. A nymph should catch something in the big pool ...... after the pool there are access points to get to the river on the bends. The first bend after the pool was always a favorite spot for me. I once saw a fish track an emerging mayfly coming off the water and then leap into the air to try and take it, the Mayfly won ..... as I did later.

The hatch trickles off all summer, so with patience something will be rising. But they are sporadic. If all else fails head for the Halfway House at Horsemonden, catch a couple of pints and then return. The stocking levels are good, but it is not the easiest river to catch on which is a good thing ...... forget the chub without a maggot they will frustrate the hell out of you. There is on spot on the lower best below the weir where you can catch grayling.

Personally I used a 7' 4# when windy and a 6' #2 if not ...... especially after they rightly started stocking more but smaller fish.

thetrouttickler

Is anyone a member of this angling club? I'd be interested in up-to-date info. I have read through all of Carlos's posts, mostly from the early part of the last decade.

It's a one hour fifteen minute drive away from me, so it's a possibility. Membership is rather reasonable for the south.

It is a weald river, so it looks to have high banks, silty bottom, and many of the posts suggest the water colour can be adversely affected by releases from Bewl. They advertise 7 miles of fishing on the website, but Carlos's reports suggest trout fishing is limited within that, 'coarsy' in the rest.

I'd be very interested in frank feedback. There aren't many other trout river fishing options nearer to me.

Last edited:

roger h 10

Is anyone a member of this angling club? I'd be interested in up-to-date info. I have read through all of Carlos's posts, mostly from the early part of the last decade.

It's a one hour fifteen minute drive away from me, so it's a possibility. Membership is rather reasonable for the south.

It is a weald river, so it looks to have high banks, silty bottom, and many of the posts suggest the water colour can be adversely affected by releases from Bewl. They advertise 7 miles of fishing on the website, but Carlos's reports suggest trout fishing is limited within that, 'coarsy' in the rest.

I'd be very interested in frank feedback. There aren't many other trout river fishing options nearer to me.
I fished the Teise up until a few months ago when I had to give it up due to ill health. It is a lovely little river with loads of wildlife although access can be a bit of a challenge in many places.
I found that small beaded nymphs worked very well and caught me all sorts of fish from Trout,both Rainbows and Browns, Grayling,Chub,Roach,Perch and even minnows. I found that the best way to catch Grayling was to locate a shoal by looking for dimples on the surface then use a dry fly.

My best Rainbow was caught on a pink shrimp in the pool below Harpers and went about 3lb, boy did I know I had that on a 6'#3 Glass rod. My best Brownie was around 31/2 lb and was caught in the big pool on beat 7 below the pumping station,there are some massive chub in that pool but the only thing that they will take is bread off the surface. Below the pool there are a lot of coarse fish and some very varied water down as far as the lower boundary,I always found that this bit fished better when the sluices were closed so there was very little flow.

It's worth spending a day looking around and finding the car parking places and good looking bits of water.

Hope that helps,

Good luck,

Roger

Haddocl

I'm a member. The river is unlike anything I've ever fished before. It runs through Kentish clay and that dictates the nature of the river. It retains a sort of murky hue and some of the stretches have the character of a canal. There are very steep banks in most places and access is difficult, as is casting. Much of it is unfishable. There are even a few ladders in position so that you can descend 12 feet or so to get to the river. I would describe it as a coarse stream with some stocked trout and some grayling (although only in a few places). Roger probably knows the river better than I do, but my impression is that, generally, most people catch trout on only two beats. Rarely have I seen much of a rise. Nor have I ever encountered any of the wild brown trout that apparently reside there. One member told me that he'd caught one in five years. I think the most prevalent fish there is the chub, followed by roach and dace.

However, it has a certain charm and I'm not trying to discourage you or criticise the river or the club. Much of the river is in pretty countryside. It isn't over-fished and most people are friendly. The committee works hard to maintain access points. Membership is reasonably priced. The bailiffs are effective. Is it like fishing on a chalk stream or the beautiful trout streams of Wales or Scotland? No. But, in my opinion, it is the best available in Kent. This part of the world doesn't really have trout streams. It's a pleasant day out.

My advice would be to contact the committee via the club's website and ask if anyone would be prepared to show you around. Then you can decide for yourself.

Also, Carlos - thank you for your reports. I also appreciated them when I was deciding whether to join.

C112

I joined last season when I thought I would have more time to get back into fishing.
Unfortunately work kept and still keeps getting in the way but I have really enjoyed things so my Membership is here to stay . Not an easy river to fish but challenging and great fun and the trout fight like demons . Also very quiet and it sometimes feels like you have a river to yourself
It isn’t a manicured chalk stream or a stocked pond but is all the better for that and I would recommend joining without hesitation

Carlos

Good to see people enjoying the place. I really enjoyed my membership. It was having kids that stopped me. The rising trout were sporadic and you had to have patience. But I'd generally get one off the top at some point.

I did love the weir at the access point off Summer Hill, and that was where the grayling lived. But generally, I always ended up in the Goudhurst Road car park and then fish upstream.

Lunch was always at the Halfyway House and never fish it in the week of the Horsmonden gipsy horse fair.

Latest posts