Teise Angling

Haddocl

Hi Carlos. Thank you for all your reports. The river has changed in the last few years, as the weir at Harpers was removed by the EA. This has meant that the grayling have moved further upstream. I caught one at the weir near Goudhurst Road recently.

Also, the stretch upstream from the Goudhurst Road car park is no longer part of the club's waters. There are still plenty of nice spots though.

Good tip about the horse fair - thanks.

themind

Kent, garden of England with a hosepipe ban!
Is anyone a member of this angling club? I'd be interested in up-to-date info. I have read through all of Carlos's posts, mostly from the early part of the last decade.

It's a one hour fifteen minute drive away from me, so it's a possibility. Membership is rather reasonable for the south.

It is a weald river, so it looks to have high banks, silty bottom, and many of the posts suggest the water colour can be adversely affected by releases from Bewl. They advertise 7 miles of fishing on the website, but Carlos's reports suggest trout fishing is limited within that, 'coarsy' in the rest.

I'd be very interested in frank feedback. There aren't many other trout river fishing options nearer to me.
Hi there

I dropped my membership a couple of years ago, not due to the river but due to an impending move (which still hasn't happened!).

Nice river as long as you have reasonable expectations. Some very dry sections but some really nice bits (PM me and I will send you info). It's slower flowing than it should be due to historical dredging however the club is working on that. Very dependent on Bewl water output and I've seen times when its been horrendously low however it seems to be more stable now. Small mayfly hatch, never been on the water when there has been, what I would call, a very good hatch but you do see frequent light hatches. Club stocks good quality fish and has a dinky little Stillwater that can provide some fun if the river is unfishable. Basically its a river thats over extracted, needs to be sped up and anywhere else in the country would be overpriced but for the south east is practically cheap and the club is doing their very best to get the best out of the water. If I was sure I would be in the area for a couple of years I'd join again, since I'm not I won't.

Steve

Carlos

Hi Carlos. Thank you for all your reports. The river has changed in the last few years, as the weir at Harpers was removed by the EA. This has meant that the grayling have moved further upstream. I caught one at the weir near Goudhurst Road recently.

Also, the stretch upstream from the Goudhurst Road car park is no longer part of the club's waters. There are still plenty of nice spots though.

Good tip about the horse fair - thanks.
Really! I remember the owners helped to install and improve the fishing. Can you still fish dow from Smallbridge then?

Haddocl

Smallbridge? Do you mean Iron Bridge? If so, yes, you can fish for some of that stretch but Monk's Water is out of bounds.