Tenkara fishers edinburgh / central Scotland

dirtyharry

Hi All!

I fish with the tenkara rod quite a bit in my local river. Would be curious to know if there's anyone else I'm my neck of the woods fishing tenkara!?

Would be great to meet up with like minded tenkara anglers for a cast.

Cheers !
DH

Scotty90

Fished the water of leith and the almond plenty but no with tenkara gear, intact I've never fished with tenkara gear. I've never really seen past my 3 weight rods for smaller wbt rivers

Tibs

Sorry to resurrect an old thread... I' have been itching to fish the Water of Leith with my Tenkara rod, however the permit states:

d) Fixed line fishing is prohibited

And technically a Tenkara rod is a fixed line setup.

Have any of you fished the Water of Leith, or know if this is indeed a problem?

eddleston123

A. It is highly unlikely that you will ever be asked for a permit.
B. If you were approached by a 'river keeper' then it is highly unlikely that he would even know what Tenkara was!

Douglas

Tibs

A. It is highly unlikely that you will ever be asked for a permit.
B. If you were approached by a 'river keeper' then it is highly unlikely that he would even know what Tenkara was!

Douglas
I agree that I won't be asked for a permit - never have in the past - though I would still intend to follow the rules as such.

In terms of how the fish encounters a fly, there really is no difference between "conventional" and Tenkara fly fishing, so I'd guess it wouldn't be an issue.

Scotty Mitchell

In situations like that it’s all about your approach. A reasoned explanation of the method to any challenger I would imagine would negate any negative response. It’s not the kind of fixed line fishing they were seeking to rule out when the rules were made 👍

Tibs

Thanks Scotty, that's what I was imagining. Though I don't actually know what kind of fishing they are trying to rule out, since most of the Water of Leith is only open to fly fishing anyway.

teeser

I don't think it is fixed line , I think the fixed line refers to set lines ie fixed at a point on the bank whereas by virtue of your hands and feet you can move your line but ive not referenced anything
google or otherwise so I may be miles away

Tibs

I think you are right, and I plan to go with this assumption.

However the first result on the google box is

and opens with "Fixed Line Fishing is the earliest form of fishing with rod and line. It is fishing with the line tied to the rod tip. No reel is used."

Incidentally, I also bought my Nissin rod from Tenkarabum, he's a pretty helpful chap.