Tenkara outfit recommendation

Vermontdrifter

When you first start keep the level line and tippet not much longer than the rod then as you gain some experience casting you can start going three or four feet longer. I speak from experience and tangles!!!! Also if you think you get some dumb comments when practicing casting on a field with a fly rod wait until you do this with a Tenkara rod! 😏😏😏

shieldr

When you first start keep the level line and tippet not much longer than the rod then as you gain some experience casting you can start going three or four feet longer. I speak from experience and tangles!!!! Also if you think you get some dumb comments when practicing casting on a field with a fly rod wait until you do this with a Tenkara rod! 😏😏😏
Haha. Think I will practice on a field with a river on it.
Seriously though I was thinking I will take the tenkara rod with me for when the salmon fishing is dour and a hatch comes on.

Also on another note I have ordered 0.35 mm FC that is due next week. Could I used 25lb amnesia as the level line in the meantime as I have plenty of that?

Vermontdrifter

Wish I could help but his is my first season with Tenkara so haven’t plaid around with other lines yet. I think that if the line is too supple it won’t cast as well but that’s a « think » and not a « know ».

shieldr

Tried out the new kit tonight on my local stream for about an hour. Never been so pleased to get a wee 6” troot on a hare lug nymph. Started off with 2 unweighted nymphs and was pretty unimpressed. Stuck a bead head on the end and hey presto the rod sprang into life. Will be interesting to see how things go when the river heats up a bit.

kingf000

Tried out the new kit tonight on my local stream for about an hour. Never been so pleased to get a wee 6” troot on a hare lug nymph. Started off with 2 unweighted nymphs and was pretty unimpressed. Stuck a bead head on the end and hey presto the rod sprang into life. Will be interesting to see how things go when the river heats up a bit.
The amnesia line is not so stiff as Tenkara lines, probably why you had an issue with the unweighted nymphs, exacerbated by any breeze. For those conditions, I have a Fujino tapered tenkara line, much easier to cast with. When it gets even more difficult with that, I use an 8ft airflo polyleader and give up on trying to keep the line off the water, or use a 9ft tapered fluorocarbon leader.

Latest posts