Tenterden Trout Waters, Kent

parrot

Visited Tenterden on the 31st May and I have to say that as a newbie to fly fishing, this was a great venue. The owners were friendly and helpful - good advice on depth and choice of fly etc. The lakes are good for the less experienced caster with open space behind and the fish look clean and healthy. Plus it is on a lovely situation. I caught two good fish on Damsels which appear to be the most successful fly at this location. I will definately be back.:thumbs:

wifly

It really has developed since I was last there, perhaps 10 years ago, when I thought it was a bit unexciting, just the one small lake. Now it looks well worth a visit, so thanks for posting - not a lot of small stillwaters down there. My Mum lives up the road and I can give it a go next time I visit.

whyknot

My first fly fishing trip today, went to Tenterden Trout Waters as it is local to me. Really beautiful setting. The owners old farmhouse behind its manicured lawn contrasts with sheep and lambs grazing the pasture leading down to two of the three lakes, the whole thing framed by mature woodland and lit by the beautiful early Summer sun.

As mentioned previously there is good open ground around lake 3, the largest of the lakes the space was ideal for a beginner like me. The lakes are mature there are reeds and rushes in the shallows, enough for interest but not enough to be a major casting or fishing hazard. Most of the fish I saw were cruising past these reed beds.

Fished half a day, caught a small carp of all things, my first fish on the fly but no trout today sadly. Lots of activity though.

It was my first trip, I don't have much to compare it to you, but the setting was undeniably beautiful, the owners are friendly and encouraging, and by all accounts they do stock fish to a good size, apparently including Arctic Char. They offer a variation on a catch and release system, on anything except a sporting ticket you can catch up to 10 fish, on the half day ticket you can keep any 2 of those 10 returning the rest. On a full day ticket I think you can keep 4 out of 10 but check their website to be sure. The half day ticket was £20.

A nice spot all round, as far from a muddy hole as you can get.

Rich

antdb74

Fished here on Tuesday, good to see that the fishery was busy on a mid week day. The bottom lake had about 6 people on it so i fished the middle lake.

Caught 5 kept 4, took montanas, buzzers and the last on (a full finned 3lbs 9oz fish)a pink cats whisker on the point.
7 hours fishing 5 fish so not easy but great sport

Apparently there are arctic char in the bottom lake so will need to go back and try to tempt them!! any ideas?

A

beryl

Used to past through whilst commuting between Canterbury and Brighton on very noisy motorbikes in the late sixties. A magistrates wife tried to kill me with her Austin Westminster... I believe it was intentional but she got off lightly as her case was heard be someone who was probably in the same social circle.

My presence was required in court so I travelled up from Brighton but she changed her plea to guilty at the last minute so I was not longer needed and couldn't claim expenses. What a *****:D

parrot

Thanks for the update Ant. I plan to fish there in two weeks time. I have always enjoyed fishing at Tenterden not least because of Barry and Audrey who must be the most charming of fishery owners I have ever met.

Still find the cage thing a bit odd though.

clint81

Anyone fished here since it opened again at the end of August? Hoping to go for the first time next week so advice, tips would be welcome.

antdb74

Thanks for the update Ant. I plan to fish there in two weeks time. I have always enjoyed fishing at Tenterden not least because of Barry and Audrey who must be the most charming of fishery owners I have ever met.

Still find the cage thing a bit odd though.

Am heading here tomorrow, just looked at their website to see the sad news that Barry passed away in September. A real shame, as you mentioned charming...

iainmortimer

This is one of the first waters I fished in England something like 28 years ago and I loved the place. Barry was a lovely fella and will be sadly missed by many people I'm sure. I believe his son-in-law has taken over managing the water?

Go to flies for me were the Walkers Mayfly, GRHE nymph, Pheasant Tail nymph and Black Montana with yellow thorax.

When the big caenis hatches were on a team of bloody butchers in different sizes worked very well and size 16 greenwells glory wet flies did well for me too. Grizzly beetles and green shrimp also did well fished over the weedbeds.

Small Grey dusters (18 and 20) dry flies also worked well for me on the middle lake.

Its a great place well worth a visit.

Last edited:

antdb74

Grhe montanas and ptns always do well, i first fished it 25 years ago as a youngster. I think its his daughter and her husband now running it. He will be sadly missed.

parrot

What sad news. Barry helped me a great deal when I was starting. Could not have been more friendly with a real sense of old world charm. I will miss him.

roger h 10

Tenterden reopened on Friday 25th of August after a 7 week shut down. I was surprised to find that initially I was only joined by one other angler although 3 more turned up during the morning.
The conditions were warm, bright and sunny with little wind although every so often an unexpected gust would catch you out.
I caught 3 very nice rainbows and a small carp from lake 3 on Diawl Bach's. All three fish were in superb condition and between 2-3 lbs in weight.
One thing I must say about the fish at Tenterden recently is that they really do fight. When I hooked my second fish I honestly thought it was either one of the bigger carp or a big Brown. It bored deep and ran a whole line off the reel, I was amazed when I eventually netted a rainbow of around 2.5 lb. I don't know where they source their fish from but they are superb.
Gaynor and Michael are doing a really good job of running the fishery since Barry died, I'm sure that he would be proud of what they've done, not forgetting his widow,Audrey,who is still very much involved.
Well worth a visit!!:thumbs:

sakuraba1982

Fished tenterden yesterday and being early November it was a cold night and chilly morning but as the cold weather had only just hit I decided to start out with the non lure tactics such as buzzers, damsels and Montana on the main lake.....and.......not a sausage. There was half a dozen anglers and nobody was hooking up so after maybe an hour or two of moving about and slowly creeping my nymphs I decided to stick on the biggest nastiest orange lure I could muster and search the depths. Sometimes at tenterden the lack of water clarity is your biggest enemy and that’s why blacks and oranges work so well. Low and behold 8 stunning fighting fit rainbows all around the 3 pound mark with a couple close to 4 pounds. These fish really are fighting fit so thumbs up to where ever they stock their trout from they are like little steam trains. ....

There was a fair wind blowing towards the dam end of the main lake and fishing against the wind put me right where the food would have been blowing and me and my fishing buddy had a fair few hook ups.

So what did I learn? Fishing into the wind is a pain but is worth the perseverance......and some days a deep sunk lure is what the trout want

Good day.....strong fish....good times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roger h 10

What a difference a couple of days makes. Based on Sakaruba's experience on Sunday I tied up some big orange lures before visiting Tenterden yesterday.

The wind was now blowing off the dam and the water was probably the clearest that I have ever seen it, I could actually see the bottom in 3-4' of water. Boy was that wind cold, my hands were like blocks of ice.

Started at the dam end but not a sniff so went to the other end of the lake which is much shallower but the wind was blowing in to it.

Second or third cast I had a pull on the Orange Lure followed by a fish landed on the next one. In the following half an hour or so I landed one more and hooked and lost a further four, also had several plucks and pulls then they just stopped.

I moved around a bit after this but nothing was taking. I eventually ended up back at the shallow end where I had another two takes on an orange blob.

Three other anglers stuck it out at the dam end but had no success.

As usual the fish were in excellent condition and gave a good scrap.:thumbs:

sakuraba1982

What a difference a couple of days makes. Based on Sakaruba's experience on Sunday I tied up some big orange lures before visiting Tenterden yesterday.

The wind was now blowing off the dam and the water was probably the clearest that I have ever seen it, I could actually see the bottom in 3-4' of water. Boy was that wind cold, my hands were like blocks of ice.

Started at the dam end but not a sniff so went to the other end of the lake which is much shallower but the wind was blowing in to it.

Second or third cast I had a pull on the Orange Lure followed by a fish landed on the next one. In the following half an hour or so I landed one more and hooked and lost a further four, also had several plucks and pulls then they just stopped.

I moved around a bit after this but nothing was taking. I eventually ended up back at the shallow end where I had another two takes on an orange blob.

Three other anglers stuck it out at the dam end but had no success.

As usual the fish were in excellent condition and gave a good scrap.:thumbs:
Awesome Roger glad my previous session gave you the heads up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sigma

My now local pond/lake :fish2:

Had a stab the other day. Being new to this i wondered if a grenade would work better.
I am lacking in finesse.
Used to beachcasting and lobbing a large lead to 100yards with ease, lot's to learn...

Lake 1 was mostly iced over by the lodge.
Lake 2 was fine. But i lacked finesse for the sunken nature of it and maybe over-rodded for it.
Lake 3 the big one. While White Star line ships would have been safe it had icebergs floating around and edges iced up with lot's of clear patches.
The sun was out and staying in the sun ment warmth. At 3pm the Church chimes are most pleasing.
Just me, some rabbits/hares, some Herons flitting about and Buzzards, had the place to myself which was handy as casting is a work in progress. And Lake 3 is made for this.... unless you get clever, lack finesse and try the shallow end.
While trying to rescue and untangle my fly from a tree i noticed i wasn't the only one to catch a tree, so things not going so badly after all :D

Had a couple of pulls but no catches, but i know nothing about trout other than they are next to Salmon in Tescos.

Had a pleasant few hours with place to myself, made a cuppa in travel mug on way out at the lodge (would live in that, very nice) and then sauntered down to Tenterden Guns and Fishing for some bits. An Orvis retailer is at the other end of town with a good open selection of flys and rods too.

Sigma

Learning way around forum.
Have a piccy

Attachments

• IMG_9267.jpg
    IMG_9267.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 204

roger h 10

My now local pond/lake :fish2:

Had a stab the other day. Being new to this i wondered if a grenade would work better.
I am lacking in finesse.
Used to beachcasting and lobbing a large lead to 100yards with ease, lot's to learn...

Lake 1 was mostly iced over by the lodge.
Lake 2 was fine. But i lacked finesse for the sunken nature of it and maybe over-rodded for it.
Lake 3 the big one. While White Star line ships would have been safe it had icebergs floating around and edges iced up with lot's of clear patches.
The sun was out and staying in the sun ment warmth. At 3pm the Church chimes are most pleasing.
Just me, some rabbits/hares, some Herons flitting about and Buzzards, had the place to myself which was handy as casting is a work in progress. And Lake 3 is made for this.... unless you get clever, lack finesse and try the shallow end.
While trying to rescue and untangle my fly from a tree i noticed i wasn't the only one to catch a tree, so things not going so badly after all :D

Had a couple of pulls but no catches, but i know nothing about trout other than they are next to Salmon in Tescos.

Had a pleasant few hours with place to myself, made a cuppa in travel mug on way out at the lodge (would live in that, very nice) and then sauntered down to Tenterden Guns and Fishing for some bits. An Orvis retailer is at the other end of town with a good open selection of flys and rods too.

Tenterden can be excellent at times but difficult at others.Orvis in Tenterden is closing at the end of February.

Sigma

Yep, the fellas in the Gun shop said it can be a challenge so i am happy to get a bite/pull on first go.

Didn't know about Orvis closing, that end of town is very quiet and neighbouring shops have been empty for a while :(