The 30th approaches..

GEK79

Hello all and hope your well... Just a general enquiry..maiky the brown trout anglers.. But all welscome

I spoke to my father yesterday after he had been in the snowdon range and he said that was his last trip.
He said all had changed and the lake that he was at he had never seen the llyn in such bad shape..
He caught a beauty on a Heather fly and sorted the fish's madable which had been damaged by a spinner and released... Ha said Gazza that's me done..
Will you be out on the 30th for the last day or have we seen enough this strange season... Thanks for any comments and thoughts..
Gary.

Last edited:

tierradelfuego

Yeah I was going to get one last day in this weekend, but the weather's looking more akin to working in the garden, so I think I am done... apart from a day or two grayling if we get some nice autumnal days.

It's been the best season for years down here, so I've certainly no complaints from my days out. Only 12 or so for the season, which isn't bad with work stopping any evening weekday fishing for me.

I can say for certain though, you will not be out on the 31st...

beetlebum

I was hoping to get out before the end of the season but the weather has put a stop to that Gary. It's forecast 40mph winds where I go plus the water levels are shockingly low so I think I'm gonna have to call it a day for this year.

GEK79

I was hoping to get out before the end of the season but the weather has put a stop to that Gary. It's forecast 40mph winds where I go plus the water levels are shockingly low so I think I'm gonna have to call it a day for this year.
The rain has just appeared.. Physically I won't get out for the last day this year.. 1st march not long away..

Overmiwadrers

Same for me for I dont think I will chase trout I reckon this weekend, I will get some Jobs done. Last weekend I had a very good day with my Son so it would be good to end the season on a high. I am extremely fortunate that all my local rivers offer good Grayling so I am usually fishing regularly right through to the end of January when the cold often stops me . Also my local stream gets a run of decent Sea trout but its very rain dependent so unless we have a very wet October that will be a bust.. agree its been a strange season .

O M W

JoeOh

I was going to wish you happy birthday Gary, until I scrolled down ......

Here on the Midlands reservoirs, hoping sport will pick up soon when the weed dies back a bit and the fish concentrate on fry.
Weather permitting, we can fish until the end of January, though in past seasons, I have normally called it a day at the end of November
Cheers Joe

Paul_B

We can fish until the end of November on a local res, its also been a funny year, I managed to get out tuesday but there was nothing doing on the fly, the baitmen caught a few, monday it was the flymen who caught rather than baitmen.

The res has plenty of fish, its getting them out thats the problem, I think I'll dig some worms for the next trip :rolleyes:

Mrtrout

Had a few nice fish early season but no proper rain since June has ruined this season, doubt I’ll get a decent day in before the 30th now.
Only 6.5 months until open day again.:cry:
S.

JoeOh

We can fish until the end of November on a local res, its also been a funny year, I managed to get out tuesday but there was nothing doing on the fly, the baitmen caught a few, monday it was the flymen who caught rather than baitmen.

The res has plenty of fish, its getting them out thats the problem, I think I'll dig some worms for the next trip :rolleyes:
Maybe time to try a real oldie .... Wormfly

shortcircuit

I have probably had my last day on the Bride for the year, I was out for an afternoon during the week and caught a few fish on dry and a few on dropper. One was a lovely 11 incher which is a decent fish for that river. The fish was so perfect (great condition, fantastic colours) that I thought it was a lovely way to end the year

Tangled

Apart from a usually forlorn August trip to the Eden (either in drought or in flood), I normally hang up my rods in July then get them down again in October. The only advantage of being a Southern softy is private stocked lake fishing - autumn and early winter fishing is both possible and often very good.

Last edited:

webblade

I will get out for a trip to the local river tomorrow and with a bit of luck I'll get out for 2 hours after work on the 30th if weather permits.

running bear

I hope to get out on the river once more before the end Sept, but if not my last Trout of the season was a 1.5lb beauty at last light on a size 20 spinner.

Although North of the border there are October options, so still hoping for some good late run sea trout in October, rain permitting.

GEK79

I hope to get out on the river once more before the end Sept, but if not my last Trout of the season was a 1.5lb beauty at last light on a size 20 spinner.

Although North of the border there are October options, so still hoping for some good late run sea trout in October, rain permitting.
Lovely sounding fish mate.. How have you found this season. My dad said its the first season he has seen definite changes in the high Welsh mountain lakes that few fish.. He sounded really down.. He's like a few on hear he know which month a hatch should he knows whbe the swifts and swallow arrive and leave.. He said this year so very different... Have others see similar or noticed changes...
Gary

running bear

Lovely sounding fish mate.. How have you found this season. My dad said its the first season he has seen definite changes in the high Welsh mountain lakes that few fish.. He sounded really down.. He's like a few on hear he know which month a hatch should he knows whbe the swifts and swallow arrive and leave.. He said this year so very different... Have others see similar or noticed changes...
Gary
I've had good fish and some really good days fishing, but I've had a few days when everything was small. On the worst of these, every fish in perhaps 80-100 caught on nymphs and not a single fish over 1lb, where I'd expect 1 in 10 to be > 1lb and 1 in 30 towards 2lb.
Also a few evenings when there was no rise whatsoever, yet would have expected one.

skyeman1

Disappointing would be an understatement for this year. Lack of rain meant the hill lochs were low and the weed took over earlier than usual, limited fishing and poor results. Rain has finally arrived and put some water in the rivers, albeit later than usual. Unfortunately there seem to be very few fish in that water. Last year was a record low for migratories, sadly a new record looks likely. Covid means there's not even a chance to head off to foreign parts for some sport. Do I sound depressed? Damn right I am.

sean freeman

I have probably had my last day on the Bride for the year, I was out for an afternoon during the week and caught a few fish on dry and a few on dropper. One was a lovely 11 incher which is a decent fish for that river. The fish was so perfect (great condition, fantastic colours) that I thought it was a lovely way to end the year
I’m missing the Bride, not fished it in two years now! Spent entire summers fishing around Bridesbridge-Aghern.

Gdog

The season finishes on the 12th October in the Eastern and Midlands fisheries regions, I hope to have a trip to a water in each region before the season ends. I hope to get out on Sunday, and I have booked a days leave for 11th October, so looking forward to both days.

If I catch any wbt I will post to that thread. 👍

GEK79

The season finishes on the 12th October in the Eastern and Midlands fisheries regions, I hope to have a trip to a water in each region before the season ends. I hope to get out on Sunday, and I have booked a days leave for 11th October, so looking forward to both days.

If I catch any wbt I will post to that thread. 👍
We close th 30th here mate..grrrr

Latest posts