The answer to the floods?

Secret Angler

Apparently there are plans for building a few thousand homes on flood plains in Lincolnshire. I believe the flood problem with be dealt with by supplying every home with a mop and bucket.

Oh well, at least the trout streams will be in good nick this season.

4wings

I wonder what happened to using willow to slow heavy rainfall and the subsequent run off
Watching the flooding on tv there seems little evidence of its use.

4wings

Building on Flood Plains should be made illegal and while they are about it Water Treatment Plant and other necessary
utilities should be walled and flood proofed.

flyfisher222

Reading the post above regarding the flooding in the Somerset levels: felt sorry for the EA man, in answer to the local farmer who complained about lack of dredging, saying it would increase greatly flooding in Bridgewater town , downstream - " do I look like I give a sod about flooding in Bridgewater?"

Peter
Typical farmer. Despite that 80% of farm income is in the form of 'benefits' from the taxpayers who he doesn't care about. Until they stop subsidising the b*****d.

ohanzee

Going back 50 odd years, we had a chap in our village who bought an old cottage for peanuts as it was in a flood area, he made downstairs into a wet room and lived upstairs.
I wonder if it would be practical to add another story to some of these that flood now and do the same.
It is entirely possible to change architecture to accommodate temporary flooding, but I think not part of UK real estate thinking.

Its also seen as a government problem, in the UK your property is yours when it comes to equity and profit, but if it floods its the governments fault.

diawl bach

The fry simply pop into the slack water in the fields and shallows where there's a natural flood plain. Where there are levees, bunding whatever they can be stranded as the water recedes, they're a bad option for fish populations.
Redds do get washed out but I'm not sure whether that effect of flooding's been quantified.

I caught some fry in the field when I was looking for water beetles earlier this year, I think they're minnows

ditch2.jpg