The far away game

webblade

I tried a bit of Euro Nymphing for a few weeks there just to see what all the fuss was about. Although I caught a lot of trout with it I didn't enjoy my fishing as much as I usually do. I'm an upstream single wet or dry fly type and the odd nymph too but usually upstream and laying line on the water. I know its not the most efficient way as I am probably getting more drag or lining more fish but I find it becomes therapeutic when I get in the zone. Anyway, after been catching trout so close with the EN I realised how much I enjoy catching from further away. I catch most my trout in close as I suspect most of us do but I really enjoy when I hook up after casting a good distance up river. Does anyone else feel the same? Do you prefer catching a bit further away from yourself so get a bit better of a fight from the fish. Is it harmful to the fish in any way as the fight is not over as quick?

eddleston123

I can't really answer your question. I do know that there is a body of anglers who feel that casting a line is 'Fly fishing' and Euro nymphing is not.

I think the difference between flexing a rod with a fly line and 'lobbing' weighted nymphs (without a fly line) is what creates the division in opinions.

Personally, I am happy Euro nymphing for grayling - but not trout. Make of that what you will, but it is just what I feel comfortable with.

Also, there are many situations when Traditional fly fishing is more successful. These situations do not seem to be spoken about that much. The modern day 'Euro nympher would argue that this method works in 'All circumstances' This is simply not the case.

I'll now put my hard hat on!

Douglas

wobbly face

I enjoy "up close and personal". Not necessarily fishing Euro type but I often fish duo relying on the nymph to turn the leader over with no more than a few cms of fly line out of the rod tip and that's also when using 6 of 7ft rods. Bow and arrow casts in tight spots. When I do use Euro style I do tend to also go with a slightly shorter rod than most. When it comes to dry fly only, best done with fly line.

webblade

I enjoy "up close and personal". Not necessarily fishing Euro type but I often fish duo relying on the nymph to turn the leader over with no more than a few cms of fly line out of the rod tip and that's also when using 6 of 7ft rods. Bow and arrow casts in tight spots. When I do use Euro style I do tend to also go with a slightly shorter rod than most. When it comes to dry fly only, best done with fly line.
I do love bow and arrow casts into tight spots. Especially when it works out and you hook up in such tight quarters. The fight is on and your heart is in your mouth.

running bear

I tried a bit of Euro Nymphing for a few weeks there just to see what all the fuss was about. Although I caught a lot of trout with it I didn't enjoy my fishing as much as I usually do. I'm an upstream single wet or dry fly type and the odd nymph too but usually upstream and laying line on the water. I know its not the most efficient way as I am probably getting more drag or lining more fish but I find it becomes therapeutic when I get in the zone. Anyway, after been catching trout so close with the EN I realised how much I enjoy catching from further away. I catch most my trout in close as I suspect most of us do but I really enjoy when I hook up after casting a good distance up river. Does anyone else feel the same? Do you prefer catching a bit further away from yourself so get a bit better of a fight from the fish. Is it harmful to the fish in any way as the fight is not over as quick?
I feel similar. Ideally i'll be casting to a rising fish, if its 10' or 60' away, and if nymping i prefer traditional methods over euro, seaching out the water with short and long casting.

I regulary discuss with my fishing buddy how improve hookup percetgaes with the 60'+ risers, and the anwser, as we all know is usually to wade closer, get out and swap banks etc, but unless it's an absolute lunker, i really enjoy trying to stick it on his nose from where i stand. Something really satisfying about placing the fly exactly where you want at distance and rising the fish
Practicing that skill is useful for the few times you dont have the option to get closer.

barden neil

Problem with euro nymphing for me is its lack of versatility As a nymphing technique it can be deadly on the right day, but as others have pointed out it doesn’t always get results. I’ve read the discussions about casting dries on monofilament french or euro leaders but the truth is it’s a heavily compromised way of casting a dry fly and totally useless in a breeze.

webblade

I feel similar. Ideally i'll be casting to a rising fish, if its 10' or 60' away, and if nymping i prefer traditional methods over euro, seaching out the water with short and long casting.

I regulary discuss with my fishing buddy how improve hookup percetgaes with the 60'+ risers, and the anwser, as we all know is usually to wade closer, get out and swap banks etc, but unless it's an absolute lunker, i really enjoy trying to stick it on his nose from where i stand. Something really satisfying about placing the fly exactly where you want at distance and rising the fish
Practicing that skill is useful for the few times you dont have the option to get closer.
Yep and when you do hook up at 60' the crack fighting him all the way to the net from that distance is mighty.