The first fish you ever caught

simonhad

Well, in an attempt to alleviate the cabin fever...
It must have been 50 years ago when I was about eight, during the summer holidays. We'd gone as a family on a day trip to Aldeburgh on the Suffolk coast. There's a drainage ditch, maybe 10ft wide, running parallel to the coast road, fringed by bullrushes and maybe 4ft deep. We park the car, make our way through the scrubby gorse to the ditch, spread a blanket and set up a picnic. My dad had bought me a Woolies outfit - 6ft solid fibre rod with tinny fixed spool reel and probably 10lb line. Can't recall the float - probably something resembling a grayling float with a fat body. Anyhow, we tackle it up and put a small flake of Mother's Pride white bread on the end. Dad shows me how to cast it in. Within a few seconds the float begins to twitch, and in panic of thrill and excitement I yank the rod with all my might, sending the float soaring into the air. We retrieve it and start again. Same thing, twitch, mighty yank, nothing. After doing this four or five times Dad explains that I should be patient and wait until the float disappears completely before giving it a gentle strike. Cast in, watch the float jerk and flicker, exercise all my juvenile self control. Finally, finally!, the float slides under the water. I give the rod a sharp tug and feel some resistance. Frantically wind in, and there on the end is a gleaming, glittering silver roach all of five inches long. Magic. Hooked for life after that.

BobP

For me my first fish was in Austria at the age of 6. I was desperate to try fishing but wasn't allowed to go with my father and uncle when they fished for trout in the local river which was a fast Alpine torrent.

In the end my father took me to the lake where he set up an 8' split cane spinning rod that he had found in some ruins in Italy during the war. Reel, hook and a large white plastic float with a red top. Bait was bread. Father cast this out and handed me a rod. When the float goes under I was to lift the rod smartly. The float went and I lifted smartly alright, so smartly that the fish landed on the sandy beach beside us!

In the next two hours I kept father busy unhooking and returning fish after fish. They were a small species of whitefish which I never really identified and which grew to about 6 or 7 inches long. There were millions of them but unfortunately they were wiped out in the mid-'60's due to massive algal blooms which were caused by the non-existent sewage systems at the time. While the local villages were small the fact that the sewage from the houses went into the nearest stream and thus into the lake didn't really cause any problems but it was a different matter when the few hundred became many thousands in the tourist booms of that time. In later life it always seemed odd to me that an entire fish species could be eradicated in a lake that was 6 miles long by a mile wide at its widest point and some 500' deep at its deepest.

PaulD

My first fish was a minnow, and a very good minnow it was too! Must have been 60 years ago from the tiny, 'step across' stream behind our cottage . . . I caught it in a jam jar. I was so excited by the capture that I ran up the lane to show the farmer who, recognising the wild thrill, was hugely congratulatory.

I took it home where it lived happily in a little tank with my goldfish. I still get that surge of excitement when a fish rises to a fly.

black and silver

For me it was a 2 llb Sea Trout on the Esk, tide fresh bar of silver, think i was around 8 years old, boy was i proud, can still see that fish as clear as the day in my mind.

PaulD's post has just reimded me, i had caught quite a few minows, sticklebacks and brownies previous to the sea trout out of the tiny beck near by, but where the sea trout was rod and line, the others were with hands or a jar, also great memories, used to look out for these fish everday going to and from primary school.

Mies

I was probably eight or nine, it was a Perch on a worm. If I remember correctly, it was using a length of cane with about 10' of "gut", as we called it then, tied to the top. All a bit "tenkaraish". Great days. Used to spend all Summer on the river about 100 yards from our house.

My fathers' cane rods were verboten until we got older. Largely due to my brother "borrowing" one and snapping it having hooked a large salmon using the afore mentioned method :eek: :ROFLMAO:

bucksflyfisher

Summer of 1957. Holiday with family in our caravan on Rushey Hill site near Newhaven. I was 7 and used to go fishing with an elderly gentleman I knew as Mr Puffin (his tiny caravan, with a bag of stinking squid underneath as a rule, was called 'Puffin'. He gave me a rod he had made from a tank aerial. 3rd time I went with him to Seaford beach I hooked and landed a 7lb Bass. Mr Puffin came to dinner at our caravan when we ate it. Still my biggest Bass!

Tommy Ruffe

I must have been about 6 when I accompanied my dad to Damflask Reservoir, near Sheffield. I borrowed a hook-length tied it to a stick, baited the hook with a single maggot and caught a Three-Spined Stickleback.

Last edited:

uptomyknee_s

I was about 6 or 7. My older brother took me to Fishers Pond near Winchester. My rod was made from an old World War 2 Tank ariel. I still have it buried in the loft somewhere. Back in the day I remember it was full of fish.
The first one I caught was a roach

Jason 70

I was about 12 and it was a small Roach from the canal we lived near in Hackney. No one in my family has ever fished so I was learning as I went along and struggling. An old boy walked passed and stopped for a chat and looked at my whopping size 8 hook and float sitting way up in the water. He went home and came back with some hooks tied to nylon, small floats and other assorted items. My gear was all from Woolies. He spent an hour with me that day and it was he who helped me catch my first fish.

I'll never forget either that Roach or the old boy.

spidernymph

I think I was around nine and my parents had just moved house, from the city into an out of town estate - on the coast and much more rural. To me, it was a magical experience and was to provide some wonderful experiences and memories which, to this day, I hold dear.
But what do do with my free time in this new wonderland? Well, I read a very basic fishing book for children in the tiny village school library. My neighbour fished along with with his big brother and his friends and so, one day, we went fishing for perch in a local loch - a good mile or two walk and I still had no rod at this point. My friends brother and his mates caught a few perch and I knew I had to have a go.
I saved all my pocket money (and extra funds gained by providing a car washing service to the neighbours) until I was able to buy a good-old Woolies outfit - including rod/reel/line/floats/lures. Eventually hooked a tiny perch on a spinner at the loch but it soon came off! It was a cold, blustery day when my mum reluctantly (after much pleading) agreed to take me and my brother fishing down the coast to fish a tiny bay for an hour or so - the water was full of seaweed and the colour of tea. We flicked out our spinners/lures time and time again, both of us only catching seaweed, big chunks of the stuff. Then my seaweed began to tug...just a tiny bit, 'more seaweed' I thought. Then I beached my bit of seaweed, instinctively using the waves to help, and there it was: a six inch green/gold/silvery fish which I later identified as a coalfish, amongst all the seaweed. I had caught my first fish! The hook dropped out onto the pebbles so there was no need to even unhook the unlucky thing, and we briefly admired the fish before I returned it to the sea and off it swam. After that we caught more small coalfish from a local pier, progressed to estuary flounder fishing and then onto lure fishing for cod, coalfish and pollack from the rocks when we were much older. My first fly caught trout came on a family holiday from the Tummel - on a Black Spider.
Happy uncomplicated days for sure.

bibio1st

The first on a rod was a small perch, fishing worm on a local canal, I was 10 and had a rod for my birthday, before that I used to tickle trout and bullheads from a local stream. We used to start very carefully trying to stay dry, by the end of the day we were up to our knees in water and soaking, my mum used to go mad when we got home 😁, growing up in the 60’s without a care in the world.

Steve

wobbly face

I'm struggling to remember the LAST fish I caught!!!:cry:
Or last fishing trip. :eek:

I started fishing when 9, an uncle left tackle for me and my older brother, he had all the best and hated me going with him. Caught squat in that first year. However, my dad bought me a 7ft solid fibreglass rod (Milbro) and a Daiwa 7270A reel, 4lb line. Fished Lees Lodges (no longer) as it was free fishing. Worm and bob float, caught a perch. 🎣 Soon learn't how to handle them, ouch.

Waltyluft

I'm struggling to remember the LAST fish I caught!!!:cry:
Actually though, the first fish I ever caught was a mackerel from the pier in Rathmullen, C. Donegal, probably about 1965.

Tackle consisted of an orange handline on a wooden handle. Bait was a sliver of fish found on the pier iirc.

There was an angler fishing off the pier with a beachcaster rod. He caught several skate in very short order. I remember being enthralled by this.

Went back to Rathmullen a few years ago. It had changed somewhat, not surprisingly.

jbe3

Codling on a hand line fishing with my father from Wemyss Bay pier in the early 1960s. On a rod it would be a perch from the Barrhead Dams in the summer of 1967. I used to cycle there with my pals and fish all day. Tackle was a small solid glass spinning rod and fixed spool reel using worms under a float. Happy days!

jaybeegee

I must have been about seven, out on a rowing boat at Bridlington with my dad, we caught lots of dabs and a few codling using hand lines baited with mussel. My first freshwater fish came a couple of years later, a perch caught on floatfished worm at Yeadon Tarn, but I had to wait until I was twelve before being allowed on the river at Pool where I caught a dace ( or possibly small chub ) just upstream of the bridge. It was the start of a lifelong love of the Wharfe and the dale it flows through.

B

Jeltz

First fish caught was a stickleback from a brook using a jam jar, first fish on rod and line was a bleak from the Thames, first trout on dry fly was from the Nene in Ireland, first sea fish, a Ballan wrasse was caught on hand line from Looe in Cornwall.

JohnH

First fish I ever caught was a perch of about 8 inches in length, fishing with my grandfather in Black Park Lake in South Bucks, quite near Pinewood Studios. Would have been in about autumn 1960. First trout on fly was from Blagdon, a 2lb rainbow in the spring of 1972.

ohanzee

Did this before but what the hell, first fish was guddled from under a flat stone in 'the burn', a tad over quarter of a pound it seemed quite big at the time, it became quite tame after a few removals, it went missing once and I found it under a grass banking, it became a bit of a pet over that summer, I'd be about 11 or 12.

First on a hook(no rod yet) was off a bridge over the same burn, took a couple of weeks with a bit of mono and a hook with a worm on, I did initially try a safety pin duh, same size and smelled like the sewerage pipe it lived under.

First on a hook was a jack pike from the local loch on a spinner, had dozens before that wore off, then discovered perch on the float on the same loch, got the bus to Glasgow to buy an Abu Cardinal reel after saving the absolute fortune of £35! this made me a proper fisher among toy shop outfits.

First on a fly, this ramps up a bit, passed driving test at 17 and went to the river Endrick, 3 weight Woolworth rod, sinking line AND floating line...expert eh? and 2 flies...thought I should take 2 just in case a wet one and a dry one, and very little clue as what to do next other than having seen other do it, before I knew I had an 8lb salmon pull me running along the river, I just ran after it, for ages, then back, I might have wet myself during this it was a bit of a blur, I would never have landed it had it not beached itself, sounds daft now but I was shaking so hard I couldn't get the hook out.

later that afternoon I put the floating line on and cast to a riser:)..bout 100 times, finally got the hang of it about an hour after the fish had long gone, took a walk and returned and...it was rising again..one cast and the fly vanished, lifted a bit to see what was going on and there was a resistance on the line, something was pulling back, good moment that, trout about half a pound.