The Fungi Challenge

Cap'n Fishy

I may have said this before but all the dangerous mushrooms have gills. If you never take a mushroom with gills you will always be fine.

From post #297...

There are a couple of genera that are easy to identify that don't contain any dangerous species. One is Boletus. The boletes don't have gills. They have spore tubes (like amadou!). So, if you find a species of Boletus, the worst it can do is not taste nice. And the genus contains some of the best-eating of all, including the famous cep.

😉

Cap'n Fishy

Thanks for your time and the info lads.

There is one particular wee stream up north that I visit around a dozen times each season and towards late Summer I always find a range of mushrooms that are in abundant supply. I have always been wary of picking them on the way back to the car but I have zero clue as to what is safe and what to avoid. Any suggestions for a decent reference book that I could buy. I do fancy me some foraging...

Definitely recommend getting one with a good key. I have 3 books on fungi, but they all date from the early 1980s and are out of print. One has a key with illustrations, one has a key with photographs and one just has photographs. They all advise on edibility/toxicity of each species... which is nice. (y)

In the key, the main one that is tricky for the amateur to answer in the field is spore colour or shape, or things like what colour it turns on applying a particular chemical. But most of it is doable to answer.

Col