The Green B@$tard

JayP

Started on what will be a new rod for a new club water I'll be fishing this year. The blank in an 8' 3# - 4 and is on the slightly faster side of medium fast, if I hadn't lost my bag of shrapnel I'd let you know what the ERN and AA are pre and post build.

The grip which I finally got round to finishing today is a 7" snubbed nose half wells, green burl with green duplon accents and green rubberised cork front and back.

20210110_100237.jpg

20210113_125501.jpg

20210113_144032.jpg

The reel seat is a nickel silver uplocker with a stabilised spalted beech insert, which is currently drying before the final turn, finish and polish.

20210113_130811.jpg

Guides which I'm still waiting on being delivered are REC recoil single foots with REC stripper and tip top, wraps are probably going to be pea green with metallic green trim.

I'll update as I go 👍

Last edited:

JayP

I built four rods last winter. They haven't been used yet.

What will you use your's for?
I've a 10' 3#, 9' 5# and a 9' 8# first two for trout and the 8# is a light SWFF and Zander rod. Then a 9' 5# and a 7' 3# glass for friends

Lewis Chessman

Looking great, Jay. Will you use cp on the lighter green to match the Duplon rings or go darker?
I so admire you guys who make your own grips and inserts (and that's a cracker!). It's an area I must branch into soon. It makes the build totally yours - well bar the ironmongery!
Best of luck as you progress with it.

JayP

Looking great, Jay. Will you use cp on the lighter green to match the Duplon rings or go darker?
I so admire you guys who make your own grips and inserts (and that's a cracker!). It's an area I must branch into soon. It makes the build totally yours - well bar the ironmongery!
Best of luck as you progress with it.
Thanks James (y), I'm going to do test wraps with and without CP to see what looks best, the blank is a very dark matt green so darkening the 'pea soup' thread may well be needed.

The lathe is great especially as I have big hands and hold the grip Borger style for most of my fishing so the 7'1/2" snub-nosed half wells work well for me in 5# and lighter.

Lathes, yep get one, you'll spend hours and hours looking online at wood blanks for that next insert you don't need :ROFLMAO:

My next project is making single foot NiTi guides

codyarrow

Battery drills are so good now we have not used corded drills for years at work. So I turned a spare one into a makeshift lathe for turning handles. Up in the loft, if I get respite from the decorating I'll get a pic. Easy make from scarp wood- only thing extra to buy is some coasters.

ROVER

Trade Member
Started on what will be a new rod for a new club water I'll be fishing this year. The blank in an 8' 3# - 4 and is on the slightly faster side of medium fast, if I hadn't lost my bag of shrapnel I'd let you know what the ERN and AA are pre and post build.

The grip which I finally got round to finishing today is a 7" snubbed nose half wells, green burl with green duplon accents and green rubberised cork front and back.

View attachment 34706

View attachment 34707

View attachment 34708

The reel seat is a nickel silver uplocker with a stabilised spalted beech insert, which is currently drying before the final turn, finish and polish.

View attachment 34709

Guides which I'm still waiting on being delivered are REC recoil single foots with REC stripper and tip top, wraps are probably going to be pea green with metallic green trim.

I'll update as I go 👍
Is it rebated or eccentric where the reel foot will sit, cant see from this angle?

ROVER

Trade Member
Different things were talking about here, I'm talking about the longitudinal rebate/flatter part on a lot of fly reel seats where the base of the foot sits. You normally mortice them using a modified fingernail router bit or turn an eccentric 'flat' on an offset spindle1610999266840.png1610999586670.png

Last edited: