The most awful fishing holiday

speylady

We are just back from a weeks fishing in Norway and it was the holiday from hell. We flew from Leeds/Bradford to Amsterdam and then on to Norway. When we were picking up our luggage in Norway I noticed one of our bags on the conveyor belt looked all trussed up with brown parcel tape ( we have fishpond bags with a wader/boot compartment at the bottom of the bags ) On closer inspection the bottom zipped section was open with my wading boots , 2 pairs of waders and my fly vest missing. What was really odd was that my hats, gloves and wading belt were still left in the compartment. We had cable tied the zips together . The zip runners were off the teeth which meant the bottom compartment was totally open. There was no label explaining what had happened to the bag. Our sport hard case with our rods and reels was also missing. All was reported at the airport. We had to stay the night at a hotel beside the airport to see if anything turned up in the morning. No such luck so we made our way to our fishing venue. I had no waders or boots so could not fish for 2 days until we found a fishing shop. They only had 1 pair of Simms waders that fitted ok but the neoprene feet were way too big. The only boots I could get were at least 5 sizes too big and had rubber soles. We left the shop £700 lighter!. The rods turned up thank goodness.The weather turned very cold and no matter how we tried the fish did not bite as the water temp was only 8-10 c....I caught nothing! Hubby got 2 grilse...Oh and our hire car got a flat tyre after only having it less than 24hrs so another £200 lighter. There was some other problems which I won,t elaborate on which made our holiday the worst I have ever been on. To make matters worse when we arrived back at Leeds/Bradford airport the rod box had not even been put on the plane ...Still awaiting its arrival

Sorry for the long winded post

Oh forgot to say that the boots were like wearing ice skate wading and of course I slipped and got a good soaking!.....

G

guest54

Welcome to my world.;) Surely the airline should pay compensation in a case like this. One to forget I think but you probably never will.:(

inishmackjames

Who was your airline? I fish in Norway every other year and have similar experiences, I actually expect my rod tube at least, to go missing, it has happened on nearly every trip. I fly with KLM as I don't have any choice in airlines.
My advice to you is, don't claim off your travel insurance - take on the airline, I have been successful each time I lodged a claim it may take up to a year to get what you want, just keep after them and bombard them with emails.
I've claimed for lost gear, damaged rod case, lost fishing days and car hire for up to four people. Just don't give up.
Tight lines.

black knight

What a disastrous holiday and what a total disappointment. It is a classic story of if one thing goes wrong it all seems to go wrong. You weren't unkind to a gypsy at any time in your life were you?

My God that sounds terrible. When a holiday you have been looking forward to goes wrong it can be very stressful.

heathenwoods

Bummer :-( That sounds really annoying and frustrating. I hope you guys have some luck taking on the airline as suggested above.

sewinbasher

Who was your airline? I fish in Norway every other year and have similar experiences, I actually expect my rod tube at least, to go missing, it has happened on nearly every trip. I fly with KLM as I don't have any choice in airlines.
My advice to you is, don't claim off your travel insurance - take on the airline, I have been successful each time I lodged a claim it may take up to a year to get what you want, just keep after them and bombard them with emails.
I've claimed for lost gear, damaged rod case, lost fishing days and car hire for up to four people. Just don't give up.
Tight lines.
I fly with KLM a lot and have had very few problems with them, when there has been an issue I find them by far the best to deal with, I'm sure they would be reasonable if the OP flew with them.

speylady

Tight lines.
It was KLM....Well we finally got the rod tube back today ...Apparently they sent it back to Norway! ..I won't give up claiming from the airline as I don't see why they should not pay. I have sent an email to them on Monday with all the details. So still awaiting a reply..I am kicking myself that I did not go to the lost property at Amsterdam on the way back to check if miraculously my stuff was found, but looking at the zip it has some marks on it so maybe stuff stolen. but hubby said we will sort it out when we get home.

speylady

Where about's in Norway were you fishing?
We were fishing on the Orkla at Meldal . I was so disappointed not catching a fish, but the river was up and cold so no luck.:( I usually fish with a skagit ( frowned upon at the place we were fishing )as we go regular trips to Canada, so I got plenty of practice using a delta line which once I got the hang of it , it was great. The wading was okay but having extra large rubber soled boots made it very tricky and only being 4' 10'' there were loads of places I could not wade.

Shirl

Bourach

Something doesn't ring true about this story...

Firstly we don't have that many lady anglers let alone jet-setting lady salmon anglers on this forum..

Secondly you don't seem keen on specifics- Trondheim's very nice this time of year and if I was going to recommend a hotel adjacent to the airport I'd go for the Scandic Hell to fit in with your 'awful holiday' narrative. Presumably you stayed at the Raddison Blu instead?

Last time I strolled over the Gamle Bybro bridge an into town you couldn't move for tackle shops and aquaculture wholesalers, therefore I'm very surprised about the lack of waders?

Thirdly - you've been contributing to this forum for a period of days as has your new mate perfectriplple - I may be wrong, but somehow I doubt it - I think you're Fred Carrie in a dress (sorry folks if you can't get that image out of your head:))

Last edited:
It's always a risk going fishing abroad speylady if your gear goes missing during transit even if you get it back sometime later or get compensation or payment through your insurance it can really ruin the trip. It seems like your own trip just went from bad to worse. Easy to say, but you should not let it put you off.

Wee Jimmy

My God that sounds terrible. When a holiday you have been looking forward to goes wrong it can be very stressful.
Yes exactly...like when there are too many ghastly peasants around the place or the restaurant doesn't know how to put together a decent swan and corgi sandwich.

speylady

Why was that.:confused:

Jim
1. I would scare the fish with my skagit line. Even wading would scare the fish..I should use stealth ( so I was told )

2. People who were there came from Hamshire ( Stockbridge ) la de da!

Are you getting the drift of this nightmare holiday

Shirl

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Yes exactly...like when there are too many ghastly peasants around the place or the restaurant doesn't know how to put together a decent swan and corgi sandwich.
Me a peasant...naw laddie :D

ANDY345

Grimsby - one of the 4 corners of the globe
In lots of years of using skagits I've never once known them scare fish if used correctly, I've lots of Norwegian friends that make the trip over to fish the Dee with us too and they've all got them in their bags, best to use the kit which you're most comfortable with and make the nicest casts with.