The occasional anti-social game angler

micka

I've said many a time how sociable, helpful and considerate so many posters on this forum show themselves to be time after time. It would give you the not unrealistic picture of game anglers as pretty decent chaps and chapesses without qualification. In the main, such an impression is accurate. However, since I've been enjoying the freedom to travel further afield after a seemingly interminable lockdown to enjoy my fishing one thing has sadly struck me once again about some game anglers, a minority I'm sure. They travel to some of the most beautiful valleys to engage in their chosen hobby yet they think nothing of leaving their drinks cans, crisp packets, cigarette butts, and other sundry litter on the bankside or in their designated car parks. WHY - I just do not and cannot understand as the environment we fish in is one of the reasons I love this sport but sadly for some to despoil it with their litter, so consciously discarded, causes not one iota of reflection or regret.

But then I remind myself that when the International Fly Fair used to take part many commercial stands complained of endemic theft which seriously eroded their profits to the point where some stopped attending. So whilst I would still argue we game anglers are a decent bunch there are still some notable "bad apples" I'm sorry to say.

Mick

eddleston123

I have a problem with farmers and their discarded plastic bags.

Today, I was fishing a border stream and have to say that I was pretty sickened.

What can you do - complain to the farmers - don't think so, they will just stop the fishing on the beat concerned.

I will do what I did last year. Spend a couple of days picking up all this stuff and dispose of it at the local re cycling centre.

Now, to relate to your initial post. General littering is not just caused by anglers, but also by the non fishing public who decide to have a walk by or picnic by the river. Beer cans, bottles, crisp packets, tissues and all sort of nasties.

The laws are there and in place to deal with this, but unless there is any enforcement, we are pis#ing against the wind!

Douglas

bobmiddlepoint

Much of Scotland will resemble a toilet and a tip in a few weeks time.
What is needed is for everyone to say something to the litterers and s***ers. You might get some abuse back but nobody else is going to tackle the issue, it is up to all of us.

Andy

Last edited:

Scotty Mitchell

When I go back to one of my favourite Lochs this year, which is a 2.5hr walk climbing 1,500’, I’m taking a spare bag for the complete camping stove and pot that I stashed under a Boulder last visit, that some complete ***** couldn’t manage to take home and I didn’t have room for.
Simply beyond my comprehension.

blithfield2

When I go back to one of my favourite Lochs this year, which is a 2.5hr walk climbing 1,500’, I’m taking a spare bag for the complete camping stove and pot that I stashed under a Boulder last visit, that some complete ***** couldn’t manage to take home and I didn’t have room for.
Simply beyond my comprehension.

Thanks, I wondered where I had left it, when can I come and pick it up?

codyarrow

The black farmers bags are silage baling I am guessing. About 18 months ago a new rule came in banning the burning of these bags in oil drums on farms. They still burn them up here illegally, further south this may not happen? Either way it is a fair bet rivers will see a few of them.

ohanzee

I took a turn at the local road verge litter pick here, mostly uniform random litter but there is a length about 100' maybe where I picked up loads of Silk Cut menthol cigarette packets and an equally bizarre number of woman's mini deodorant sprays, all within the same 100' stretch, just one side of a random bit of open road.

Reg Wyatt

I have a problem with farmers and their discarded plastic bags.

Today, I was fishing a border stream and have to say that I was pretty sickened.

What can you do - complain to the farmers - don't think so, they will just stop the fishing on the beat concerned.

I will do what I did last year. Spend a couple of days picking up all this stuff and dispose of it at the local re cycling centre.

Now, to relate to your initial post. General littering is not just caused by anglers, but also by the non fishing public who decide to have a walk by or picnic by the river. Beer cans, bottles, crisp packets, tissues and all sort of nasties.

The laws are there and in place to deal with this, but unless there is any enforcement, we are pis#ing against the wind!

Douglas
It is something that has always amazed me too Douglas - littering. Frustrated me so much that people, farmers whoever can just dump their litter. The only way I can get rid of said frustration is to pick it up myself. I then joined the local litter picking group and cannot tell you how satisfying a job it is. I love picking up litter, it's so worthwhile but I'd love it even more if I didn't have to do it. Also I agree with bobmiddlepoint in that I'll challenge anybody I see littering or throwing rubbish. Enough's enough and I'm now of that age not to care or be afraid of peoples reaction.

Reg Wyatt

easker1

My wife and I walked the coast to coast a few years back and black plastic on fences was on of the worst aspects of the walk and the crap in some of the water ways, also the barbed wire wrapped round the Stiles, after we crossed the A19 the place was much cleaner, the upper Dales were a disgrace, easker1

catzrob

I took a turn at the local road verge litter pick here, mostly uniform random litter but there is a length about 100' maybe where I picked up loads of Silk Cut menthol cigarette packets and an equally bizarre number of woman's mini deodorant sprays, all within the same 100' stretch, just one side of a random bit of open road.
Wonder what went on there.

jc123

i retrieved a complete tent with a sleeping bag and a bag full of beer tins and rubbish inside, blowing on Haweswater last year, that some t-ss-r had abandoned, perfectly good tent too, car'nt understand it.

i have'nt really seen fly fisherman leave much mess tho to be honest, except for coils of discarded line on my local reservior which i always think is bad

Mrtrout

Witches knickers as we call them, black silage bags that hang from tree branches, bl00dy awful things, my wife and I spent half a day tearing them down on a beat we rent close by.
They ruin the countryside and are a complete eyesore to fishermen on an otherwise beautiful wild trout stream, farmers well I’m afraid they don’t give a flying #-&” about them.
As for rubbish left by anglers I’m happy to say most who fish our rivers are pretty respectful in taking any rubbish back with them.
However I came across what seemed like a lovely young family enjoying a picnic on one of our beats a while back, two youngsters one paddling, the other throwing a frisbee, I mentioned what a lovely day it was and an idyllic place to have a picnic.
Three hours later as I came back I found every single thing they had brought with them strewn all over the bank.
Bottles cans paper, empty cartons you name it, I felt sick to the stomach that they could do this.
If that’s how they teach their children to just walk away and leave everything then I hold little hope for future generations.
There was cattle in the field who could have easily digested some of it.
As luck would have it they’d left a large plastic Co-op bag as well, so I was able to fill it with their rubbish and dispose of it properly.
I was fuming.
S.

ohanzee

It is way too common to come across the entire camp just left, a few seasons ago in the Trossachs I came upon a tent, gear, food the lot, there was a rod with line out twitching, I wound it in and there was a small eel on the end, hook too deep to see, I tried but it was a goner, there was was a cheapo tackle box full of spinners lying on its side with stuff spilled out and bread rolls all over the place.
Returning to the car at the other end of the day it was all there just the same, they had just evacuated and left it.

micka

My wife and I walked the coast to coast a few years back and black plastic on fences was on of the worst aspects of the walk and the crap in some of the water ways, also the barbed wire wrapped round the Stiles, after we crossed the A19 the place was much cleaner, the upper Dales were a disgrace, easker1
Amazing, given the beauty of the upper Dales. I have a black bag in my boot and collect discarded litter from the bankside and sadly from specific angling club car parks - it just makes me feel a little better.

We can all agree that as a nation the problem of litter is a national disgrace. And the lowest of the low are the fly tippers.

But in great part we go to the countryside to avoid this, sadly not easy to do nowadays. From my back garden I can see Winter Hill, a Pennine landmark just above Horwich and a popular place for walkers, cyclists, bikers etc. 99% of the visitors treat the place with respect but I'm sure this summer will see those morons bringing throwaway BBQs on to the moors and creating havoc in the dry weather one again.

OK grumpy old man rant over and I'm now off to Erbistock for a bit of Tenkara fishing - a beautiful part of the world which thankfully maintains it's unspoilt appearance on my angling visits.

Mick

Vermontdrifter

Not just the UK, my wife and I always take a bag with us on our hikes and there are times it becomes too heavy to carry for another four or five miles so I have to stash it by a road and I come back with the car to pick it up. Lot of beer bottles and fast food containers.

Vintage Badger

Are most anglers totally beyond blame? How many times have we seen fishing videos where the angler ties on a hook, fly, lure, etc. then snips/bites off the excess leader and just lets it drop to the floor? I never let that happen and always put the off-cut in my pocket, so I can securely bag it and dispose of it safely in the pedal-bin when I get home.

The thought of some poor animal getting tangled in, or ingesting small pieces of, discarded fishing line/leader should prevent any decent angler from littering the waterside with potential death traps. Sometimes it's the litter we can't easily see that is the most harmful to the environment.

beetlebum

i retrieved a complete tent with a sleeping bag and a bag full of beer tins and rubbish inside, blowing on Haweswater last year, that some t-ss-r had abandoned, perfectly good tent too, car'nt understand it.

i have'nt really seen fly fisherman leave much mess tho to be honest, except for coils of discarded line on my local reservior which i always think is bad
I think I saw this too, bloody great big thing that I could see from the road side. It's one of my favourite places on earth there but I've got to say that last year kind of spoiled it for me, litter regularly left by the remnants of fires, mainly plastic bottles and beer cans. I was talking to a chap who was walking the coast to coast and he told me of the utter S**t tip that had been left up at one of the upland tarns I've fished in the past, apparently there was a bloody gazebo left up there along with tents and God knows what else. It's truly heartbreaking to see and genuinely saddened me. Don't get me into the subject of people posting bloody YouTube videos from these places too, I go fishing to get away from people not bump into them!

Latest posts