The old ones are always the best

guest23

Whilst browsing through my fly catalogue yesterday preparing a bulk order I came across the old favourites, the traditional wet flies of another generation.
(cue : "Our tune") :rolleyes:

Zulu, Bloody Butcher, Peter Ross, there they all there, you older ones know the ones, we used them for brownies mostly in the lakes. Well I did ?

You modern ones them days were into Baby dolls !

Onto the order goes Black Pennell,Peter Ross and some butchers.

Now I am looking forward to giving them a chance again.

I am not the only retro angler am I?

Bill

stylie

Classy Trout

springwell said:
Whilst browsing through my fly catalogue yesterday preparing a bulk order I came across the old favourites, the traditional wet flies of another generation.
(cue : "Our tune") :rolleyes:

Zulu, Bloody Butcher, Peter Ross, there they all there, you older ones know the ones, we used them for brownies mostly in the lakes. Well I did ?

You modern ones them days were into Baby dolls !

Onto the order goes Black Pennell,Peter Ross and some butchers.

Now I am looking forward to giving them a chance again.

I am not the only retro angler am I?

Bill

Different strokes for the UK i suppose, but pop over here and all you will see up are Zulu's (caught a 3lb+ in corrib years ago in july sunshine and a small ripple on it), peter ross's, pennells, butchers, you forgot Bibios and bumbles. We would be lost with out them over here, i guess our trout are more appreciative of antiquities :)

montanajoe

They all still work. The fish don't know they have went out of fashion, but because people don't fish these flies they never catch fish.

I regularly fish with bibios, mallard & claret, kate McLaren, black pennel, wickhams, soldier palmers etc and am reasonably successful.

The logic these days is if one fly catches fish then everyone changes to that one. We give fish too much credit. On very few days are the fish super selective and in most cases the fish will take a fly because it's at the right depth, speed and colour that it's looking for.

Don't abandon flies that have been proven killers for centuries because some magazine tells you to fish (and buy) the latest high tech (and expensive) materials.

Iain:cool:

M

MarkH

I've only recently started to use traditional wet flies instead of the usual buzzers and lures and have had lots of success with them. I also enjoy fishing a team of wet flies far more than pulling a lure ... and they just look so much better than bloody blobs and boobies don't they?

kiegers

The good old wet flies are all i use for the troot in the Galloway hill lochs, the Ginger Quill and Greenwells glory are two favourites of mine along with the Butchers,Pennels and Zulus ..:D :D ;)

www.troutandsalmon.net

guest23

MarkH

Yes these traditional flies hold lots of memories for some, even the names are more provocative.

They will be out in force on our planned outing!

Bill

braveheart

Don't use them now, but that's only because I'm fishing Chalkstreams. I think I would be chased if I fished a team of wets down and across :eek:
But when I'm up home it's a different story.

Bloody Butcher

I still use traditionals for the bulk of my wild loch fishing. When I fish for stocked rainbows I usually fish traditionals at some point during the day, and usually do very well with them.

I agree that current trends, new fly tying materials and magazines are pushing anglers away from using traditional wets. For anyone new to fly fishing, try them! They may not be featured in 'Trout Fisherman' very often but I can vouch for their effectiveness.

Alex

M

MarkH

Bloody Butcher said:
When I fish for stocked rainbows I usually fish traditionals at some point during the day, and usually do very well with them.

Me too. It's not just wild browns that go for traditonal wets. I've taken stocked rainbows on Bibios, Soldier Palmers, Zulu etc. The stockies probably welcome the change after seeing an endless stream of Cat's Whiskers, Damsels, Boobies, Blobs and the like.

springwell,
Yes, wets will definitely be the order of the day when we meet up.:D

newbi

I have only been fly fishing for a few years and some of my fav flys are bloody butcher, zulu,Royal Coachman and Wickham's Fancy. I have had some good fishing with these flys.

pete

Last edited:

lap

i like using traditional wets when wild brown trout fishing on welsh waters - only thing is, i'm not sure of a lot of the names but ones i can identify and have caught on is bibio, silver invicta and soldier palmer

i am getting there with identification and really like the look of them, the different colours and combinations you can use - i find it a fascinating branch of fly fishing

stylie

braveheart said:
I think I would be chased if .

Dont worry, they will chase you off when they get to know you better

:D :D :D :D

sorry couldnt resist

guest23

lap

You are right, the old flies do look nice:)

See if you can get your hands on the old book "Hardy Book of Flies"
from what I remember full of illustations of traditional flies.

Lost my copy :(

Bill

Highlander

Sometimes it is just the way you want to fish. Me, I do not have any truck with modern flies & techniques. I just prefer to do it my way now with traditionals.
Ok so maybe they do not work so well on hard fished stillwaters & reservoirs but on Wild Water's they still hold sway.Guess I have just come full circle in my fishing. Back to my roots
When I look at the Frazzles & Razzles,Chancers & Dancers,Blobs & Snobs,Crunchers & Snatchers & Washing Lines & now buzzers with crisp packets for wing buds I am glad I fish traditionally. I really am.
Tight Lines

Last edited:

Octopus

Spot on from stylie.
When i'm fishing over the west (of Ireland, i'm from the East coast) it's all the traditional wets, Bumbles and them new fangled Dabblers!!:D
Normally i'd use Connemara Black, Watsons Fancy/Bumble, Bibio, Sooty Olive/Bumble, Black Pennell, Blae & Black, Mallard and Claret etc etc and the emm.....
............mmm................

Oh yeah..............The Octopus!

Joey1

Traditional spiders, black and peacock, patridge and orange, purple snipe and a pennel on the point always first line of attack wet lining rivers here in Mexico, on the Boyne System and up north on the Bann.;)

J.

tigermoth

I agree with ewe Joey:D

Trad spiders are super patterns - use them a fair bit on the border streams around here - Snipe & Purple and Waterhen Bloas would be my fave's.

Check out www.spidersplus.co.uk for some beautifully tied examples/

Latest posts