The old ones are always the best

tigermoth

A pressie for Joey:

The wonderful waterhen bloa

Enjoy:)

doonicus

Traditional flies, and methods are still alive, and very much kicking all over Scotland for brown trout. I do carry lures when going for a day at the 'bows, but they are a last resort, and by the time I tie one on the cast, I am admitting defeat. I would rather use wets, dries, and buzzers for the 'bows.

doonicus

Chuileog

Bibio, Black pennel, Zulu, Invicta, Bumbles,Spiders and cdc Buzzers are what i fish 90% of the time whether stocked rainbows or wild browns.

stylie

Melvin Octopus? Green Octopus? Muddler Octopus?

Octopus said:
Normally i'd use Connemara Black, Watsons Fancy/Bumble, Bibio, Sooty Olive/Bumble, Black Pennell, Blae & Black, Mallard and Claret etc etc and the emm.....
............mmm................

Oh yeah..............The Octopus!

Wouldnt say the Octopus is very old, I think its more like a traditionalists Blob. Seen guys swear by them on slow sinkers fished on the tail for others it was on the dropper. For me i fished it on a floater and on the top dropper with a bumble or a green peter behind it and a dabbler etc.. on the tail. Always did well late in the season at least it brought a few trout up

Theres so many variations now what type do you use ?. Some folks say they dont catch fish like they used to,,but err i dont seem to think the trout know that one

royvs

The most effective flies on my little bit of river are a Wickhams Fancy, Invicta and RedArsed Green Peter, all fished slightly up, drifted and then finishing down and across. The RAGP even worked in Slovenia and the Invicta in Pennsylvania.

Sandison

OAP flies

My lifetime good friends are:

Messrs Black Pennel, Ke-He, Loch Ordie (bob), Woodcock & Hare-lug, Greenwell's Glory, Grouse & Claret (middle), Silver Butcher, Silver Invicta, Peter Ross (tail).

No, not all together, one from each group each time.

If they catch anything for me, that's fine, and if they don't catch anything for me, then that's fine as well.