The onnly two nymphs that you will ever need

arkle

That may well be, "the cornerstone of the nymphing world", but there are very many people who would dissagree with that statement, as "the nymphing world" go's far beyond just rivers., which you did not state.

Last edited:

BobP

I would tend to agree with arkle. There is a lot more to the "nymphing world" than just those two, and even if we disregard stillwaters and just concentrate on rivers there are three other inverts that trout and grayling feed on that you have neglected. Those are caddis, both free swimming and cased, stoneflies and shrimps, and I for one would never neglect an invert that probably is the mainstay of chalkstream fish's diet which is the latter of those three.

My main river nymph boxes contain more than 90% three flies - hare's ears, pheasant tails and shrimps with the shrimp making up at least 50% of those.

thetrouttickler

I would tend to agree with arkle. There is a lot more to the "nymphing world" than just those two, and even if we disregard stillwaters and just concentrate on rivers there are three other inverts that trout and grayling feed on that you have neglected. Those are caddis, both free swimming and cased, stoneflies and shrimps, and I for one would never neglect an invert that probably is the mainstay of chalkstream fish's diet which is the latter of those three.

My main river nymph boxes contain more than 90% three flies - hare's ears, pheasant tails and shrimps with the shrimp making up at least 50% of those.
That's interesting. Are you talking about flies like these?

Fulling Mill Shrimps

baca157

Tasty looking nymphs ct1642

Whether I agree or disagree with your statement will depend on whether by saying “its no secret that these two are the cornerstone of the nymphing world” you mean these two specific nymphs, or the general idea of hare’s ear and pheasant tail as main tying material.

If it’s the latter, then I definitely agree with you. If it’s the former than I will have to positively disagree - I have been nymphing for good few years now and do no have these flies in my box and been doing just fine😜 I have plenty of hare’s ear and pheasant tail nymphs, just not these two😎

Cheers,
Sebastian

BobP

That's interesting. Are you talking about flies like these?

Fulling Mill Shrimps
No, not really. Some of those are Killer shrimps for use at Grafham, and elsewhere that particular nasty is in residence. Most of the others are rather too gaudy. OK, but will tend to spook fish in clear water and grayling especially, will shy away from pink after a while.

Mine are much more subdued and are made up with a seals fur mix of colours based on Frankie McPhillips Donegal Olive. They are in the sizes 16-12 with tungsten beads in 2mm up to 2.8mm. The bead colours are Metallic pink, metallic green, silver, black, copper, olive and gun metal. I put a small thorax of olive micro cactus chenille behind the bead. There is a shellback of clear Nymph Skin and a rib over that of copper wire.

I first found shrimps in trout in 1971 and have been tying them ever since, though I'm now on Mk. 10 as new materials have come on stream to improve upon the previous Mk. I do not plan on Mk11 but never say never. I, and others, have caught thousands of trout and grayling on that basic pattern. Would I consider it to be the only nymph I'll ever need? Certainly not!

In the small size it is useful on small stillwaters if it is weedy and you can see holes and pockets in the weedbeds. Chuck it into a hole and just let it sink. 10 seconds is long enough and two or three casts to the same hole is enough. Not for the faint-hearted this as you have to heave the fish out of the hole to stop him burying himself in the weed.

thetrouttickler

No, not really. Some of those are Killer shrimps for use at Grafham, and elsewhere that particular nasty is in residence. Most of the others are rather too gaudy. OK, but will tend to spook fish in clear water and grayling especially, will shy away from pink after a while.

Mine are much more subdued and are made up with a seals fur mix of colours based on Frankie McPhillips Donegal Olive. They are in the sizes 16-12 with tungsten beads in 2mm up to 2.8mm. The bead colours are Metallic pink, metallic green, silver, black, copper, olive and gun metal. I put a small thorax of olive micro cactus chenille behind the bead. There is a shellback of clear Nymph Skin and a rib over that of copper wire.

I first found shrimps in trout in 1971 and have been tying them ever since, though I'm now on Mk. 10 as new materials have come on stream to improve upon the previous Mk. I do not plan on Mk11 but never say never. I, and others, have caught thousands of trout and grayling on that basic pattern. Would I consider it to be the only nymph I'll ever need? Certainly not!

In the small size it is useful on small stillwaters if it is weedy and you can see holes and pockets in the weedbeds. Chuck it into a hole and just let it sink. 10 seconds is long enough and two or three casts to the same hole is enough. Not for the faint-hearted this as you have to heave the fish out of the hole to stop him burying himself in the weed.
I see the chalkstream agent you work with suggests a green shrimp in his hatch calendar very similar to the one in this link.

OE Freshwater Shrimp

I like the look of this one, but it needs a small tungsten bead.

Last edited:

rabmax

Hares ear or squirrel Yes for sure.I do carry Ptn's & they do produce at times for me.Hares ear honey bugs micro mop type flies will produce way more on the rivers i fish.A few nights ago the fish were being fussy.There was small black flies & slightly bigger Olives on the water & in the air.Tried olive nymphs Ptn's small black magic nymph & not a touch.Then put on a size 14 olive honey bug & started slamming fish.I probably have about a dozen go to nymphs/ softhackle.

BobP

I see the chalkstream agent you work with suggests a green shrimp in his hatch calendar very similar to the one in the link.

OE Freshwater Shrimp

I like the look of this one, but it needs a small tungsten bead.
I put a short tail of Coq de Leon or light bronze mallard flank feather on mine, but do not bother with the body hackle or the feelers out front. I don't get many trout or grayling coming and asking where they are.

When I first spotted the shrimps in the stomach contents of a trout I noticed that there was a faint pink tinge to them. So faint it was almost imagined rather than seen. Some will carry the Pomphorhyncus egg sacs in them which shows up as a pink or red spot in the abdomen of the natural.

I was guiding 4 very inexperienced rods on what is probably FB's most difficult beat last Friday. They caught 7 trout between them with the shrimp accounting for 6. As they decided to leave early I gave myself an hour and the first fish I caught was a 12 ounce dace on the shrimp. Biggest dace I've caught in many a year. I then caught a decent brown and then got comprehensively smashed by a good brown right across the far side of the river who dived straight under a tree as soon as he was hooked. B*gger!

blithfield2

Come on Bob, let's see your favoured shrimps please

ct1642

I'm all about a good healthy discussion gents. Thats why I put this post up. Get some idea and discussion flowing

Heres a shot of my nymph box. I also have a shrimp / cadis box. I think all nymphs / shrimps have their day.

Personally I always gravitate back to PTNs and frenchie variations.

Attachments