The price of Pearsall's.

Oldbones

I guess my collection is worth more that what I paid for it.
getting pricy.jpg

Oldbones

I have a box of chadwicks, but no 477, but some are very close.
Never paid more than 50p for a card

wobbly face

I gave a full card of 477 to Paul who runs "Fishing For Heroes" at the last BFFi 2019. I also had another full 477 ............. but it had been dyed orange. :eek:
Years ago I tied some "Sawyer Killer Bugs" using 477 to Frank's recipe and tying (from his book), half dozen in size 12 and 16, they got £50 in a charity auction and a (y) from no other than Davie McPhail. Unfortunately I only have a meter or so of 477 left. :(

The Endrick Spider

I gave a full card of 477 to Paul who runs "Fishing For Heroes" at the last BFFi 2019. I also had another full 477 ............. but it had been dyed orange. :eek:
Years ago I tied some "Sawyer Killer Bugs" using 477 to Frank's recipe and tying (from his book), half dozen in size 12 and 16, they got £50 in a charity auction and a (y) from no other than Davie McPhail. Unfortunately I only have a meter or so of 477 left. :(
Its a pity this post never came up 3 weeks ago for having a clear out, along with some other materials, I gave 3lb Grayling 2 full cards of 477 purchased back in the 1970's. I think there is still another card somewhere. I will tell you what else I have that has never seen the water, a box of 9 original flies tied by Mrs Sawyer that I purchased in 1965. I keep them as samples of how these Sawyers flies should look.

baca157

Jeez, if you think Pearsalls is dear, don't go looking for Chadwicks 477 darning thread 😂🤣😂🤣
This is just silly money Kev. Probably that's why no one wants to buy it - this auction keeps popping up on Ebay and no takers.

Gossamer prices are getting silly these days but there are some bargains to be had, especially if someone doesn't mind partially used up spools. They appear every now and then in job lots.

I know that fish don't mind but I like tying my traditional wets using those original materials. I find more pleasure fishing flies which have been tied like that.

Anyhow, rare trout flies materials can be expensive but nowhere near as some of the materials for classic salmon flies. Single Kori Bustard feather can fetch up to £100, if you can get one that is...Bottomless pit if you ask me.

Cheers,
Sebastian

rockslider

How does the sawyers bug fish Wobbly? I've never tried one. It looks like it would be quite handy for mullet too!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

wobbly face

How does the sawyers bug fish Wobbly? I've never tried one. It looks like it would be quite handy for mullet too!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I've not fished any for years, then I didn't catch much on the waters I fished. You have to remember Frank developed flies for the water he worked and fished. Perhaps I should try them more as I have different waters to fish now.
I'd certainly give the mullet a try on it. It's one of those patterns, not much but could be everything. It's easy to tie (more so the modern tying) so can knock up flies very quickly.

arkle

I have just seen 2 x listings on ebay's vintage flytying section, each for one spool of Pearsall's Gossamer silk, at £20.00 each + £4.90 p&p. The seller, is based in Morpeth, Yorks

The Endrick Spider

I have just seen 2 x listings on ebay's vintage flytying section, each for one spool of Pearsall's Gossamer silk, at £20.00 each + £4.90 p&p. The seller, is based in Morpeth, Yorks
You may well have read elsewhere where I was having a turf out, getting rid of some of my stock of fly tying stuff that was no longer required. Some of this stuff that went in the bin were several reels of Pearsall's Gossamer Silk. My reason for getting rid of them, the thread was that old it kept breaking. Imagine paying £20 for a reel of this and the same happened.

PeteWilkins

riogrand king

This is just silly money Kev. Probably that's why no one wants to buy it - this auction keeps popping up on Ebay and no takers.

Gossamer prices are getting silly these days but there are some bargains to be had, especially if someone doesn't mind partially used up spools. They appear every now and then in job lots.

I know that fish don't mind but I like tying my traditional wets using those original materials. I find more pleasure fishing flies which have been tied like that.

Anyhow, rare trout flies materials can be expensive but nowhere near as some of the materials for classic salmon flies. Single Kori Bustard feather can fetch up to £100, if you can get one that is...Bottomless pit if you ask me.

Cheers,
Sebastian
The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson explores the madness brought on by obsession for these feathers.

baca157

The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century by Kirk W. Johnson explores the madness brought on by obsession for these feathers.
Great book. Read it last year. The most shocking part of this story for me was the fact that Edwin Rist got away with it. He didn’t spend a day in jail and huge chunk of his haul is still missing.

I heard rumours that they may turn it into a film.

Cheers,
Sebastian

baca157

YLI silk is a very good replacement, slightly thinner but nice to use and covers a lot of the colour match ups
I heard YLI is meant to be good.

If anyone is looking for like for like - Morus Silk continues to produce what used to be Pearsall’s silk. I have a few spools and couldn‘t tell the difference. They make all the Pearsall’s colours for flytying.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Latest posts