The problem with 'fish locally' if that's a condition of starting fishing again

davidms

I understand that the Angling Trust has put forward thought-through proposals for the possible resumption of fishing, that includes the idea of fishing locally to start with. So, my club has a geographically dispersed fly fishing membership, mainly in NW England, including the major conurbations, but our waters are in the sparsely-populated Lake District National Park (where zillions of folk are itching to walk etc). I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that this 'fish locally' idea could prove to be problematic. It's almost as if this AT proposal ignores the way in which fishing actually works in the modern age.

Anyone any thoughts on this, preferably positive?

boisker

This probably won’t be the completely positive response you are looking for :)
but the 5 mile radius is just a proposal from the angling trust... doesn’t mean the gov will opt for that and be that specific...
but I would guess that they aren’t going to be wanting people to drive say from Manchester to fish the Eden... the changes are likely to be gradual, you can do activities within a ‘certain distance’..
so to answer your question... if all your club water is 40-50 miles away I think it unlikely that the first changes will allow you to fish.

davidms

That is just what I fear. Anyone who hasn't the kind of fishing they enjoy on their doorstep could well be seriously disappointed. Should a club with waters funded by all the membership, only allow local members to fish? Or no-one, until everyone can?

wobbly face

I have this problem with club waters, all over the 5 mile proposed distance. If it means some members can fish that live local, then so it is! Will I get any money back? I don't even have any commercial or day ticket available trout waters within 5 miles. :eek: Perhaps the next phase will allow greater travel depending on what happens.

boisker

I’d say no to your last point :)

That is just what I fear. Anyone who hasn't the kind of fishing they enjoy on their doorstep could well be seriously disappointed. Should a club with waters funded by all the membership, only allow local members to fish? Or no-one, until everyone can?

davidms

I'm lucky. I'm a bit of an all rounder I can walk to the lower reaches of a river with trout in it. Only problem is that it aint fly fishing and I'll have to chuck softbaits about for them. And there's the sea, but its early for Mullet.

Alwyn

While it’s appreciated that the AT has pushed the case to reopen angling, it was potentially a mistake to specify “local” as there is a danger that all will be given is local which could be a few miles. All they needed to say is that anglers will be subject to whatever travel distance limitations imposed by the government at any given time. I live in London but I can easily get to Salisbury and back without refuelling so if fishing is allowed, such a trip would seem reasonable. A restriction of a few miles will not be much help to many of us city dwellers.

boisker

I’ve mostly blocked the thought of when I’ll get to go fishing out my head...
it could be worse.. I live in a beautiful area, I can work from home so still have money coming in... and most important of all.. family and friends are all well and have so far missed the virus... in my position it would seem selfish to be worried about chucking a fly...
But...
when it‘s allowed I’ll take a week off and hit my local river :)

running bear

North County Dublin, but always a South Down man
Some people are going to be lucky, some aren’t. For the greater good of everybody that is the way it has to be.

As for not having your preferred type of fishing locally... try something different!
This is where the all rounders are going to score over the fly only or trout only types.

Andy
Agree, I’m planning on Czech nymphing for estuary Mullet when the restrictions are lifted in the ROI on the 18th May.
I could currently fish for them for an hour under the 2km rule (if I walk), but I just wouldn’t feel right in doing so at the moment, especially with all the walkers out someone is bound to take umbrage.

davidms

Just heard from my friend who used to be a professional fisherman (and who loves his rod and line fishing) that there are already some bass about on the coast. That's that sorted...

diawl_coch

Can't wait.

I hope it's before the peak of the small Mayfly season tails off!

Local, I can deal with that.

speytime

Should a club with waters funded by all the membership, only allow local members to fish? Or no-one, until everyone can?
That's something I hadn't considered, I'd be extremely annoyed if that was the case, I'm expecting that if its it's partially lifted I can fish my club water 4/5 miles away, its members only that are spread across Central Scotland.
I'm filled with dread now 😞

When they eased the rules in Germany the travelling distance was 60 miles Iirc🤞