The storm has arrived with Thunder and Lightning

iainmortimer

My very first Thunder and Lightning but I’m still disappointed to have allowed the head to get away from me and at some point not noticing that I’d dragged the top few wing fibres back. Generally though I’m quite pleased with it. The final photo is just at an angle to catch the light better on the wing

39E05054-38ED-4834-BD06-E150D9F6FC96.jpeg
9C0348BC-1014-47B8-8FB5-A20A7CC8D2E0.jpeg
231892FC-6EFF-4470-8A43-32AC9378F921.jpeg
465E19EF-871A-4D70-8B52-753BF3F29D2A.jpeg

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
My very first Thunder and Lightning but I’m still disappointed to have allowed the head to get away from me and at some point not noticing that I’d dragged the top few wing fibres back. Generally though I’m quite pleased with it. The final photo is just at an angle to catch the light better on the wing

View attachment 24306
View attachment 24307
View attachment 24308
View attachment 24309
Tying these traditional salmon flies is more than an art form, it always amazes me the amount of individual parts to the tying.
Nought wrong with the head, when taken into perspective, and the few wing fibres, cripes man, that is a gorgeous fly.
regards
Bert

tj hooker

That’s an excellent job Iain your coming on in leaps and bounds I wouldn’t feel comfortable offering you critique more experienced guys will and that’s what we all need I’ll just say excellent job well done.

baca157

Great effort Iain. Much better than my version. Glad to see you didn‘t give up on it!

You should have said that you tried to make the head in Marvin Nolte’s fashion. That’s what I tell myself when mine slips 😂

Cheers,
Sebastian

arkle

I think. I was the 1st to see iot on here last night but was three tired so left it to others to look, observe & critique, On the whole, much, nuch better & your best yet, If you can handle it, try another one, but on a size smaller hook. Then photo them together. I'll bet you'll prefer the smaller one, everyone does ! Just a minor observation about the ostrich, yes it's nice & dense, but if you have thinner herl It may look even more proportionate to the rest of the fly.

iainmortimer

That’s all for the kind words, the comment on the Marvin Holte’s head made me laugh - I’ll have to remember that one!

As for the Herl,mines all the same size John and so I’m loathe to buy more without seeing it in case it’s the same. That’ll obviously have to wait for now! Thank you

arkle

Iain, It liiks like you have a section that's been cut from a large quill. which is, on the whole okay for most trout flies. The stuff to go for is the short, say 10 or 12" in lengh quills, that's the sruff that most of the salmon guys go fo & they are only a couple of quid max each.

iainmortimer

Iain, It liiks like you have a section that's been cut from a large quill. which is, on the whole okay for most trout flies. The stuff to go for is the short, say 10 or 12" in lengh quills, that's the sruff that most of the salmon guys go fo & they are only a couple of quid max each.
Yes that’s spot on John. All my Herl was bought for trout flies and the centre rib is so thick i could use it for a BBQ skewer! I’ll keep my eyes peeled for some ‘cheap’ stuff. Thanks

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Really coming on there Iain. I'm not a great fan of flies without under wings, always looks like something's missing but you got a nice shape to the wing regardless. Winging these flies is a fairly slow learning curve but with each fly you tie there will be improvement in some shape or form and again persistence will eventually pay off.

iainmortimer

Really coming on there Iain. I'm not a great fan of flies without under wings, always looks like something's missing but you got a nice shape to the wing regardless. Winging these flies is a fairly slow learning curve but with each fly you tie there will be improvement in some shape or form and again persistence will eventually pay off.
Thanks Mark