The two greatest wet flies of all time!

andypandy

Bibio and kate defo take some beating on the wet fly stage like. Peter ross isnt far off either

pentlandflyman

Cannot argue with the Kate but the 2nd place would be a toss up between the bibio, soldier palmer and black pennell.

Wouldn't want to be without any of those flies on a loch to be honest.

welshyy95

Saw the title, these two flies came to mind, so I have to agree! Haha
Crackers :thumbs:

maharg

I do love a Kate but a black pennel knocks the bibio off its perch.
If I had to choose 1 fly to fish with my heart would choose the Kate but my head would go for the pennel.

campsiefisher

I think if i was only allowed 2 wets i'd go for (and here starts the argument) :whistle: as Peter Gathercole would describe this as a wet (but it's more a nymph in anyone else's book) a Diawl Bach, and a Black Pennel.

Best regards
Jim

Edit: if i'm not allowed the db i'll take a Peter Ross :D

richfish1

Mines the Greenwells...

I've caught on the river with a Greenwells but I think I've only had a couple on one on stillwaters. I think the main reason I(and so many others) do so well with Kates and Bibios is because I had some very good catches with them in my early years and so give me confidence. And you always fish better when you have confidence in the flies.:thumbs:

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:58 PM ----------

I'll second the Kate Mclaren followed with the sunburst Mclaren.:thumbs:

When you say 'Sunburst Mclaren' do you mean one with a short sunburst marabou tail? If so,then yes,cracking fly!

3lbgrayling

I do not believe that you can choose 2 wet flies (sorry to be a pain) but there are so many classic flies that fit different situations so well.I love the classics.they have been through the mill,and still produce.Many new flies are on there way to classic status.but The originals still catch Hugh amounts of native fish(Scotland).So I find it impossible to choose 2.

Jim

richfish1

I do not believe that you can choose 2 wet flies (sorry to be a pain) but there are so many classic flies that fit different situations so well.I love the classics.they have been through the mill,and still produce.Many new flies are on there way to classic status.but The originals still catch Hugh amounts of native fish(Scotland).So I find it impossible to choose 2.

Jim

I know what you mean Jim, My favourite flies of the time change with the wind! But these two are always my go-to flies when I'm not quite sure what the trout are on and they just seem to produce the goods!

smudger564

It is a bold statement Rich. For me it has to be a Greenwells and an Invicta. Both capable flies and have caught me countless fish.

Nice ties mate.

Best regards

Stuart:)

Mark Morton

Dunkeld certainly, closely followed by any of the black fly representations, Pennel, Zulu etc. BUT! on the River Usk for instance, then very sparce March Brown and a Whickams Fancy again sparcely tied. BUT!! CHOICES, CHOICES, CHOICES. there are so many great wet flies out there; some we have forgotten about, but would still take fish today.

Alwyn

For rivers I would have to make a case for the Waterhen Bloa and Stewart's Black Spider.

Hans Weilenmann

Fishing Reporter
While I fully appreciate that this is a UK based forum (with international participants), it is somewhat amusing that for the "'greatest wet flies of all time" all nominated are UK/Irish patterns :cool:

If this were a North America based forum we would likely see mostly/all North American patterns proposed.

We flyfishers are quite the parochial lot, are we not? :whistle::cool:

Cheers,
Hans W