The Wandle - London

streamerjunkie

I watched a YouTube video on the Wandle last night, a chap catching monster trout on bread. One had a damaged tail fin but was supposedly a "wild" brown. Any ideas why this would be?

Was it Trouting Time by any chance? If so, from the bloke's fish handling, you can easily see how a tail could get damaged (in a net or due to appalling handling bankside as perfectly demonstrated in the video). Wild tails will also get damaged when the fish are cutting redds, and I have personally witnessed this in the Wandle - a joy to behold!

benisa

Friend mine who fish,s there a lot has caught an 8 lb on bread ( and he handles them like little baby's ) he does not do you tube but have a picture on my phone
anyone who fishes there regularly knows who he is

shropshire_lad

Was it Trouting Time by any chance? If so, from the bloke's fish handling, you can easily see how a tail could get damaged (in a net or due to appalling handling bankside as perfectly demonstrated in the video). Wild tails will also get damaged when the fish are cutting redds, and I have personally witnessed this in the Wandle - a joy to behold!

Thanks for that, yes, that was the title of the video.

Interesting about the "cutting redds" - I never knew about that.

I'm a hydrogeologist by training and used to work for a major Water Company who covered the area. We relocated and reduced some abstractions in the Croydon area to help restore flows in the Wandle - looks like it may have worked. I think I visited the source spring, Waddon Ponds, in a park in Croydon somewhere - a few years ago now.