The World Cup 2013, Lough Mask

JJ O Malley

Well folks,
Only 13 rod days until world cup 2013..

I finally sent my entry form off today... last minute as per usual. I will be fishing the Sunday..

I'm excited. I don't generally fish competitions, but this is one that i really enjoyed in the past and i'm really looking forward to it...

Now i've got to start thinking about flies... My flyboxes are in a fairly dire state, and i've only got around to tying some patterns over the past week or so.

Who else on the forum is fishing it?

Anyone got any recommendations for flies? I really need to get tying... Any advice would be very much appreciated... I know there are some Lough Mask experts and previous world cup winners on here. Whether they are prepared to share their secrets is another thing :D:D

Best of luck to all fishing it..

Cheers
JJ

123strike

Hey JJ, this is my first year fishing the world cup. Looking forward to it and looking forward to building up my knowledge of the lake with the aid of a quality ghillie. I know Jemo and PJ are regulars on Mask, perhaps they can share some of their knowledge? Ideally i'd like to be fishing drys, conditions permitting..

invicta1953

Unfortunately you may have to resort to fishing the deep water with a slow sinker or intermediate to catch the, "black," plankton feeding fish needed to qualify. Not my favourite form of fishing but when in Rome .... Bright flies seem to work.
One good fish(3lb plus) from the rocky ares could be enough but they are hard to get. Good luck.

tips

Unfortunately you may have to resort to fishing the deep water with a slow sinker or intermediate to catch the, "black," plankton feeding fish needed to qualify. Not my favourite form of fishing but when in Rome .... Bright flies seem to work.
One good fish(3lb plus) from the rocky ares could be enough but they are hard to get. Good luck.
I agree. A little bit of wind and you should go out the deep to chase the daphnia feeders. It's a bit hit and miss but its the best hope of qualifying for the final. Colourful flies do well. Orange in some part of your flies is supposed to be a good colour as the daphnia they are feeding on can be orange. In the event of little wind, try the shallows with dries in the hope of nabbing a good fish. The octobus also works for the daphnia feeders. Best of luck.

Trout hunter

Lift weights, strengthen you left arm and pull like f**k until something pulls back the other way and then hit it like you hate it. That should just about do it. :eek:mg:
It's tough as hell JJ be prepared for a hard days work.

TH

JJ O Malley

Lift weights, strengthen you left arm and pull like f**k until something pulls back the other way and then hit it like you hate it. That should just about do it. :eek:mg:
It's tough as hell JJ be prepared for a hard days work.

TH
Thats what i was afraid of.. Any idea how many got fish from day 1?
Also, what was working? from your post, it looks like sinking lines and stripping wets? dear god! Looks like i'm in for a tough day (or possibly 2 :pO)

Cheers
JJ

Trout hunter

I think about 30 men had fish most of those single fish. 1.20lb was the cut off weight and I'd say the best fish was about 2lb. Most of the fish caught out deep stripping wets. The shallows are very slow. In fairness Mask has like most loughs been tough for weeks now after the hot weather and now thunder storms so the fishing was never going to be easy but it's the same playing field for everyone so you just have to do what it takes. Needs must I'm afraid.
What day you fishing JJ
TH

JJ O Malley

I think about 30 men had fish most of those single fish. 1.20lb was the cut off weight and I'd say the best fish was about 2lb. Most of the fish caught out deep stripping wets. The shallows are very slow. In fairness Mask has like most loughs been tough for weeks now after the hot weather and now thunder storms so the fishing was never going to be easy but it's the same playing field for everyone so you just have to do what it takes. Needs must I'm afraid.
What day you fishing JJ
TH
Fishing the Sunday.. Just spent an unsuccessful hour looking for a sinking line i bought just last week.. driving me nuts :eek:mg:

Any thoughts as to what flies i should be tying? Thinking of spending Saturday at the vice, unless i decide to chase some salmon on Inagh/Kylemore.. after all the rain we are having, that might just be the thing to do....!!

Did you fish today? If so, any joy?

Cheers
JJ

Trout hunter

No fishing Saturday. Honestly flies wise I think what ever wets your comfortable with as it seems every one has their own special fly that you shouldn't be without :rolleyes:
I was boating today we had one fish to the boat yay undersized and rose three or four more that didn't stick.
Very hard work.
Go have a go at the salmon JJ
TH

JJ O Malley

No fishing Saturday. Honestly flies wise I think what ever wets your comfortable with as it seems every one has their own special fly that you shouldn't be without :rolleyes:
I was boating today we had one fish to the boat yay undersized and rose three or four more that didn't stick.
Very hard work.
Go have a go at the salmon JJ
TH

Well TH,
Took your advise and went after salmon on Inagh.. Got one about 6lb...
Rose 5 more... Should have probably had a second fish, but i'm quite happy with the one i got.. Got to sit down now and tie a few dries for tomorrow... eek... :eek:mg: Will i ever learn...

Cheers
JJ

johnW

No update on webpage since Friday.Poor effort by whoever has taken on this task.:(

sooty

Disappointing alright. Checked it for updates a few times today and yesterday.

Mies

Hmmm... maybe in a moment of mass enlightenment they've all decided to practice catch and release :cool:

sarcadosis

I beleive their system crashed on Friday and they had to complete all the results manually. Hopefully they will have it up and running soon so we can all see the results

JJ O Malley

Well folks,
My update of a couple of enjoyable days on Lough Mask is as follows..

I fished the final, but not much joy. I had a great boatman Philip McGoldrick, and we fished hard all day in decent conditions. We didn’t see much fly life and didn’t come on many fish.. I brought up about 5 fish, but just landed one of about 1 1/4lbs. If one or two more had stuck I’d have been in the money.. I guess most of the anglers would have a similar story!! :eek:mg:

I was a bit more fortunate on the Sunday and managed to win the heat with a nice brace of fish which took small sedges.. I missed out on the biggest fish prize by 0.05lbs. (the winner had a fish over 5lbs, but 1st, 2nd and 3rd don't qualify for biggest fish prize)

Again I was blessed with a great boatman, Martin Feerick….

Well done to the winner who had an amazing couple of fish yesterday.. Fair play to him. It’s some achievement. I’ll definitely fish it again next year, and hopefully I’ll be a bit more organized.. I was up late both nights tying a few patterns for the next day, until 2.30 am on the sunday morning! Will I ever learn?

Cheers
JJ