There’s a storm coming... (Arkle, Wingman?)

iainmortimer

For my next classic I decided to try a Thunder and Lightning. I just can’t decide on the throat length though and so I’m after some advice (again!). I’ve tried it longer so it nearly touches the hook point as in many images I’ve seen but it looks unbalanced. I’ve tried it shorter like here and it still looks unbalanced and possibly will be worse once it’s winged!

Arkle,Wingman - how should it be?

I’m really not happy with the body either and so this will be stripped back to the butt. I’ve been a bit fingers and thumbs today so struggled on when I should left it until tomorrow...

A5CB6AF7-02D7-46EB-98FD-302AEF8A861F.jpeg

baca157

I am not Arkle, nor Wingman (and I tend to tie my throats too long), but this throat looks about right to me lengthwise. Could maybe go 1-2mm longer. I would definitely have more of it though, another turn of the hackle would make it appear “fuller”.

Glad to see you are sticking with it Iain.(y)

Cheers,
Sebastian

iainmortimer

I am not Arkle, nor Wingman (and I tend to tie my throats too long), but this throat looks about right to me lengthwise. Could maybe go 1-2mm longer. I would definitely have more of it though, another turn of the hackle would make it appear “fuller”.

Glad to see you are sticking with it Iain.(y)

Cheers,
Sebastian
Thanks Sebastian. With my inexperience in this discipline I’m struggling to visualise the finished fly part way through and so all advice is welcomed! It might well be the lack of that extra turn that’s bugging me as it’s definitely not got a lot of presence!

arkle

Saw the fly last night & have only just seen this. We spent quite a while on fbk online-chatting about it a.o. Maybe able to continue a bit later on, but we sort of got into tinsels, & mentioned a couple of sources to go for & avoid, a few nore go for's would possibly include Uni & Veevus.

iainmortimer

Saw the fly last night & have only just seen this. We spent quite a while on fbk online-chatting about it a.o. Maybe able to continue a bit later on, but we sort of got into tinsels, & mentioned a couple of sources to go for & avoid, a few nore go for's would possibly include Uni & Veevus.
Very useful it was too John. (y)

m r roid

Stick with it Iain,
Between John, Mark and Sebastian you're getting top quality advice.
My classic salmon fly activities have been put on hold for the time being. I'm working from home because of the Covid-19 crisis, and the only place to set up a temporary office was on my fly tying table.

iainmortimer

Stick with it Iain,
Between John, Mark and Sebastian you're getting top quality advice.
My classic salmon fly activities have been put on hold for the time being. I'm working from home because of the Covid-19 crisis, and the only place to set up a temporary office was on my fly tying table.
I know that feeling although I'm in self isolation and so restricted pretty much to the bedroom. An old baby changing unit is now on one wall for fly tying and a bed table for breakfast is my office desk! Gotta get my priorities right :rolleyes: I have to say that tying classics is more engrossing than the 'normal' stuff - especially as it'll be some time before we're allowed on the rivers ain.

arkle

Just seen that you saw my update on things to consider or perhaps try for the next model, if you were going down that route. But quite a difference from the mk1. !

iainmortimer

Just seen that you saw my update on things to consider or perhaps try for the next model, if you were going down that route. But quite a difference from the mk1. !
yep, the Mk1 was rushed when I wasn’t feeling well and looked it and so was stripped back to the tag! Back to feeling rubbish again though:cautious:

wingman

Looking good Iain particularly the second version but I'd say take the tag still more around the bend as body is looking slightly short. Don't always adhere to the tag should start opposite the hook point and end opposite the barb philosophy as this doesn't always work because of the different hook styles and bends being different as well as variables in hook point to barb lengths which can make the tag overly long. On the originals the tags were usually tied fairly short but you see a lot of modern day tiers of these flies tying them far to long but yours here looks about right I'd say.

Latest posts