There is hope...

jeffhirst

Big lakes,canal, rivers,sea fishingone person in a boat why not...easy to maintain social distancing. Keep a lot of people sane and prevent fisheries going bust... If people are allowed to B&Q surely fishing is safer.

Tommy Ruffe

Well done oscarthecat.

I'm sure that re-opening our local water, just 4 miles from home, where a small membership can practice social-distancing, especially now that the stockie-bashing, day ticket wallahs have been stopped, would greatly contribute to the mental well-being of myself and that of Mrs Ruffe.

Keeping us locked-up is a nonsense.

glueman

Big lakes,canal, rivers,sea fishingone person in a boat why not...easy to maintain social distancing. Keep a lot of people sane and prevent fisheries going bust... If people are allowed to B&Q surely fishing is safer.
How can you have social distancing sitting on a towpath that is used by walkers and cyclists it is not possible in fact it is not possible if you meet a walker coming in the opposite direction

speytime

How can you have social distancing sitting on a towpath that is used by walkers and cyclists it is not possible in fact it is not possible if you meet a walker coming in the opposite direction
If there's not sufficient room for people to pass a fisher then the same must apply to people walking in the opposite direction, what do you suggest?

Al

glueman

If there's not sufficient room for people to pass a fisher then the same must apply to people walking in the opposite direction?

Al
that is what I said if you read slowly but with walkers there is a chance with canal fishers with poles and all the other stuff they seem to need it is difficult getting round them at the best of times and god forbid they have a catching competition on

jeffhirst

Obviously anglers should chose carefully where they fish...same applies to shoppers, cyclists and walkers(though the lycra brigade seem to have problems round where I live)

easker1

Total lock down here,no fishing even if they are open,I have the letter to prove it, easker1

glueman

Lets hope angling is included
There are too many variables with fishing, for example
Beach Casters
Off the Dock Wall

Canal fishers
River fishers
Small still Waters
Reservoir and so the list will go on

Take canal fishers sitting on a 8 foot wide towpath how do the social distance.
One of the rivers I fish on has a foot path along its bank and it is a no wading river

I have a feeling fishing will be way down the list because of the variables

flyfisher222

Banned
Banned
I hope fishing is being represented/considered, it's far safer than any of the sports mentioned in the link.

Al
We all got an email from the club yesterday. The club owns the land (4000 acres) and thus the fishing rights, rather than leasing them, and there is no public access or public paths..
It proposes to open on Saturday May 16th rather than the usual May 1st and will extend the season to October 31st rather than the usual October 15th to make up the lost days.
Sign in at the main hut will no longer be required and the individual huts (on some beats shared with the next beat) will be closed.
These is only ever one person on each beat and about half the beats are 'rested' on any given day so we are 'socially isolated' anyway.
How we get there and how far we have come is entirely our own business, as always. There is a small car park on each beat.

So that's what 'we' are doing.