Thick lips - how much backing?

PhilLlangoed

I am inspired by Colin McLeod’s book Mullet on the Fly to give this a go in one of my local estuaries (Anglesey) that is full of what I assume are thick lips. I have done a bit of fly fishing for bass, using a 7wt rod, but after reading the book am tempted to use my river 5wt for the mullet. Only problem is currently it is loaded with a fairly small reel that only has 50yards of backing. Will this be enough, or should I get a bigger reel? Thanks

iainmortimer

I am inspired by Colin McLeod’s book Mullet on the Fly to give this a go in one of my local estuaries (Anglesey) that is full of what I assume are thick lips. I have done a bit of fly fishing for bass, using a 7wt rod, but after reading the book am tempted to use my river 5wt for the mullet. Only problem is currently it is loaded with a fairly small reel that only has 50yards of backing. Will this be enough, or should I get a bigger reel? Thanks
Get a bigger reel. A decent mullet can take a lot more backing than that!

running bear

5wt is fine in priniciple, i've even toyed withthe idea of a 3wt and french leader, however it appears my estuary is on the jet stream and struggle with the wind.
A 5wt is fine for mullet providing you've open water but 50yrd is tight if you hooked a biggie in shallow water, espeically if you cant chase.
I reach for a 6 usually, and find gelspun braid makes a better backing as it doesnt sag or catch the strong currents the same. You fan also stick 4 times as much on the reel.

original cormorant

Thanks both. I’ll probably bite the bullet and go for a bigger reel - the point about getting more gelspun braid is a good one.
Trust you are aware that braid labelled as "gelspun" is essentially the same as ordinary braid just considerably more expensive. You should get at least 50lb, hollow braid enables blind splices, but braid is available very cheaply.

running bear

Trust you are aware that braid labelled as "gelspun" is essentially the same as ordinary braid just considerably more expensive. You should get at least 50lb, hollow braid enables blind splices, but braid is available very cheaply.
I used the term gelspun so folks would aplreciate the differnce between braid (dyneema/PE), and dacron types. I buy my PE braid by the 5km spool, very cheaply, and much prefer to nail knot to the fly line than using anything hollow. I use 30lb on trout, mullet etc, and 50lb for salmon and pike

squimp

Mullet fishing is normally pretty short range stuff - so you could consider chopping the back end off your running line to make more room for the gelspun.

I cut my bonefish/permit lines down to 85/90 feet for the same reason.

pati

I used the term gelspun so folks would aplreciate the differnce between braid (dyneema/PE), and dacron types. I buy my PE braid by the 5km spool, very cheaply, and much prefer to nail knot to the fly line than using anything hollow. I use 30lb on trout, mullet etc, and 50lb for salmon and pik

only thing to keep in mind is not all braid is created equal ;-), 16 strands or more to reduce the finger cutting effect (even though obviously you should never get your fingers close to fast moving braid in the first place…)

running bear

only thing to keep in mind is not all braid is created equal ;-), 16 strands or more to reduce the finger cutting effect (even though obviously you should never get your fingers close to fast moving braid in the first place…)
And then there is sinking braid, i don't know what they put on it, but you could fell giant redwoods with it!
I used it many years ago for coarse fish and reckoned it might be useful for extreme casting with fast sink heads, the stuff i got was quite stiff and tangle free and obviously low diameter even at high weights. No problems putting a head to 50yards+, but after 5 mins of stripping, it had cut through my stripping glove, so the brick on a saw setup never gained popularity.

original cormorant

I used the term gelspun so folks would aplreciate the differnce between braid (dyneema/PE), and dacron types. I buy my PE braid by the 5km spool, very cheaply, and much prefer to nail knot to the fly line than using anything hollow. I use 30lb on trout, mullet etc, and 50lb for salmon and pike
Not sure why you would bother with 30lb - except that you've apparently bought 5 km and need to use it somehow!
My backing is always attached loop to loop for convenience changing or storing lines and because it's a sound connection.

running bear

Not sure why you would bother with 30lb - except that you've apparently bought 5 km and need to use it somehow!
My backing is always attached loop to loop for convenience changing or storing lines and because it's a sound connection.
Nope, when i use LA reels, i like them small. I fish Hydros SL IIs with all my 6 weights, and use the 30lb to maximise backing. When spring trouting on a lough, a springer is a realistic possibility and when streamer fishing in the river, 10lb+ wildies are caught evey year. Better safe!

pati

Nope, when i use LA reels, i like them small. I fish Hydros SL IIs with all my 6 weights, and use the 30lb to maximise backing. When spring trouting on a lough, a springer is a realistic possibility and when streamer fishing in the river, 10lb+ wildies are caught evey year. Better safe!

No point having 30lbs backing if using 15lbs tippet though ;-)