Thinking about Tenkara...

Banksie

No swivels are used in Tenkara.

All you should have is the "Lillian" a small length of braid etc, usually red coming from the rod tip. You then lasoo the line onto this using a loop.
They were on the Maxcatch site. Maybe it’s just their rods then. I’ll check it out when mine gets here. Cheers. 😎

springwell

For the swivel I think you might have meant the rolling lillian. I've never used them or had trouble with line twist.

Somehow a rotating lillian is not really traditional.

Banksie

For the swivel I think you might have meant the rolling lillian. I've never used them or had trouble with line twist.

Somehow a rotating lillian is not really traditional.
I’ve never personally liked swivels when I used them in coarse fishing. Seem to create more twists than they solve. Thanks for the update.

kingf000

Thanks Springwell. Very much appreciated.

Interesting about the rod tips. I had been a little worried reading different reviews, thinking it was playing larger fish on a ‘get what you pay for’ rod. Def follow advice about collapsing the rod when moving through bushes, etc... and getting a spare tip or two. Cheers!

There’s a part of the ‘Old Avon’ that branches from the main carrier over a weir and into a fast and shallow stream. It’s a highish bank (about 4 feet) with trees opposite about 6/7 metres away, but lots of holes to cover along the way. Maybe a shorter rod is needed at the expense of reach. Any ideas on rod action? There’ll be about 50/50 side casting along that stretch of water, with the rod itself quite low.
Thanks again. Keeping cool today. 😎
Rather than side casting I find the 'bow and arrow' cast with a Tenkara rod particularly effective, especially for getting under trees. I've recently got a 10ft Maxcatch Tenkara rod for a small river and it is great. A touch heavy but with that length of Tenkara rod it doesn't matter that much. The longer maxcatch rods are a bit heavy for me, so I've got two 13ft rods that are great, the Daiwa enshou (7:3), which I think is now discontinued, and the Tenkara USA amago (6:4) for heavier nymphs and larger rivers. It's worth paying a bit more for the reduced weight.

Banksie

Rather than side casting I find the 'bow and arrow' cast with a Tenkara rod particularly effective, especially for getting under trees. I've recently got a 10ft Maxcatch Tenkara rod for a small river and it is great. A touch heavy but with that length of Tenkara rod it doesn't matter that much. The longer maxcatch rods are a bit heavy for me, so I've got two 13ft rods that are great, the Daiwa enshou (7:3), which I think is now discontinued, and the Tenkara USA amago (6:4) for heavier nymphs and larger rivers. It's worth paying a bit more for the reduced weight.
Thanks kingf000...
Re bow and arrow, only thing come to mind was Wallis cast on centre pin, but then, no line! Will look it all up on suggested forums. Many thanks for the other suggestions. 😎

Banksie

Checked out both forums. Have a lot of reading ahead while I’m waiting delivery of rod. I like this new challenge Tenkara. Prices are very good, even higher end stuff.
There’s a bonus that my younger grandsons could have a lot of fun with this too. Brings a smile on. Thanks everyone! 😎

Banksie

Checked out ‘bow and arrow’ cast. Might be just the ticket for that stretch of Old Avon. Getting twitchy now, to get started! Many thanks to everyone! 😎

Banksie

Left this on ‘What did you do today’ thread last night.

“Stripped the rings from a knackered old rod today. Left the threaded tip in place but cut the legs off to the ring itself and filed it smooth. It now looks like the female spigot sleeve on a cane rod, only smaller. Denibbed the varnished edges where the other rings were with a small file till smooth. Just need to root out a paint scourer pad from the shed (used to use as a car painter) to smooth the rest of the blank down till it’s matt. Will get some handlebar tape for a ‘handle’, then figure out a way to attach a ‘Lilian’ to the tip, though I might have to remove the screw tip and whip a wire loop on instead. The reason? I’m waiting for a Tenkara rod from Maxcatch. Could be a month or two. 😐 “.

Seems I’m getting twitchy to get started. Still reading and watching videos. Really like the Japanese interviews. Thanks again. 😎

kingf000

Left this on ‘What did you do today’ thread last night.

“Stripped the rings from a knackered old rod today. Left the threaded tip in place but cut the legs off to the ring itself and filed it smooth. It now looks like the female spigot sleeve on a cane rod, only smaller. Denibbed the varnished edges where the other rings were with a small file till smooth. Just need to root out a paint scourer pad from the shed (used to use as a car painter) to smooth the rest of the blank down till it’s matt. Will get some handlebar tape for a ‘handle’, then figure out a way to attach a ‘Lilian’ to the tip, though I might have to remove the screw tip and whip a wire loop on instead. The reason? I’m waiting for a Tenkara rod from Maxcatch. Could be a month or two. 😐 “.

Seems I’m getting twitchy to get started. Still reading and watching videos. Really like the Japanese interviews. Thanks again. 😎
You may find the rod a bit difficult to cast. Tenkara rods are much more 'whippy' than a normal fly rod. You could just whip on a bit of braid backing to the tip and tie a loop in the end, rather than a metal loop?

BobP

I have tinkered around the edges of tenkara in that I have an 11' and a 13', both very cheap as it will only be very occasional use.

I got the 13' because two years ago I was guiding two Americans on the chalkstreams for five days. One was an excellent caster though an impatient angler who cost me a lot of flies. The other couldn't have put a fly within 5 feet of a trout 10' away. I was highly dubious about his chances of catching anything.

However, William had brought a tenkara kit with him and having caught a few trout on it suggested that the other chap have a go with it, and it worked. He caught half a dozen trout on dry mayflies and was very pleased. I also tried it and enjoyed the accuracy and delicacy with which a fly could be put on the water.

It occurred to me that total beginners at casting might find the tenkara rod an easier proposition, particularly as it is a one-handed operation. I have noticed on more than a few occasions that beginners can pick up casting reasonably well on grass, but as soon as they are confronted with water and fish they go to pieces with the result that the line spends more time wrapped around the rod tip than it does on the water.

I put this to the test last year on the Itchen with an American lady angler and the end result was a 3lb brown. I might dig it out next week when I have a party of four on the Test, just for the fun of it.

william henry

Ever tried Tenkara?
Yes, I have dabbled with it on a few occasions recently and it’s most definitely not for me. It’s easy to be charmed by some nice looking gear , YouTube clips and some slick salesmanship off the web, but I will stick with rod and line 😊

Banksie

You may find the rod a bit difficult to cast. Tenkara rods are much more 'whippy' than a normal fly rod. You could just whip on a bit of braid backing to the tip and tie a loop in the end, rather than a metal loop?
I think you’re right about that. It’ll be quicker too. Thanks.

Banksie

I have tinkered around the edges of tenkara in that I have an 11' and a 13', both very cheap as it will only be very occasional use.

I got the 13' because two years ago I was guiding two Americans on the chalkstreams for five days. One was an excellent caster though an impatient angler who cost me a lot of flies. The other couldn't have put a fly within 5 feet of a trout 10' away. I was highly dubious about his chances of catching anything.

However, William had brought a tenkara kit with him and having caught a few trout on it suggested that the other chap have a go with it, and it worked. He caught half a dozen trout on dry mayflies and was very pleased. I also tried it and enjoyed the accuracy and delicacy with which a fly could be put on the water.

It occurred to me that total beginners at casting might find the tenkara rod an easier proposition, particularly as it is a one-handed operation. I have noticed on more than a few occasions that beginners can pick up casting reasonably well on grass, but as soon as they are confronted with water and fish they go to pieces with the result that the line spends more time wrapped around the rod tip than it does on the water.

I put this to the test last year on the Itchen with an American lady angler and the end result was a 3lb brown. I might dig it out next week when I have a party of four on the Test, just for the fun of it.
Then the upshot is, it works...! Good stuff, and good story. Thanks. 😎

Banksie

Yes, I have dabbled with it on a few occasions recently and it’s most definitely not for me. It’s easy to be charmed by some nice looking gear , YouTube clips and some slick salesmanship off the web, but I will stick with rod and line 😊
I’m charmed by its simplicity. Though I’m not sure if I’m ‘dabbling’ or ‘tinkering’. Something between faffing and messing probably. Thanks all the same though. 😎