Thinking about Tenkara...

kingf000

IMO Tenkara should be treated as just another form of fly fishing that you turn to when conditions are suitable. It's advantages are that it is light, gives a delicate presentation with dry fly without worrying about line on the water, and super sensitive for detecting bites when nymphing. Disadvantages are that it has limited casting range, more likely to get broken with big fish and more prone to difficulties with the wind. I'm sure there are other advantages and disadvantages that haven't immediately come to mind. So I find it great for short range nymphing and for dry fly fishing for grayling, where you can get close to the fish without spooking them and they take the dry fly with much more confidence, so you get less fish turning away at the last moment.

Tenkara isn't new. It was (effectively) the method used the UK before 1650, when we were invaded by the chinese invention of the reel. I understand that the 1st edition of 'The Complete Angler' didn't mention anything about reels, they only appeared in the 2nd edition.

springwell

This is the type of water I fish Tenkara. Pocket water, rocks, boulders, not so easy to cast and quite fast water.

Fishing Tenkara in these waters allows me to keep the line off the water.

upper river.jpg

upper river2.jpg

jerryrum

Tenkara definitely lends itself to a 'low gear' approach.

One of my Tenkara rods is permanently strapped to my bike, with spare leader, flies etc in the pouch below the saddle. I've stopped and fished a few streams and ponds while I've been out exploring the countryside with this set up.

Bi1.PNG

My second rod is shorter when collapsed, and lives (ready made up) in a pocket of my car boot.

Either way, I'm never without a rod to hand.

springwell

What do you lock your bike to?

I've seven miles of cycle track opposite my house which follows my clubs river, but I'm a bit wary about leaving the bike unattended on a track when I climb down to the river. Even locked to a tree bike parts could disappear.

springwell

Checked out both forums. Have a lot of reading ahead while I’m waiting delivery of rod. I like this new challenge Tenkara. Prices are very good, even higher end stuff.
There’s a bonus that my younger grandsons could have a lot of fun with this too. Brings a smile on. Thanks everyone! 😎
You might like this one too.