This time last year

corto maltese

My telephone asked me this morning if I would like to see what I was doing this time last year ! A new one for me, I'm not too tek.
So it showed me photos of the first day of my ten day Welsh fishing trip, day one, a beautiful little stream near builth wells fishing with Luke Bannister.
A great day out on the river with a smashing chap.
Just made me think though about my situation now and how, twelve short months on, the situation has changed, very depressing really.
That was the first day with Luke and it just got better and better untill it was time to come home, a new PB in the trip just to put the cherry on the cake.
Now, maybe it's because I'm stuck in the middle of the season with a broken rib and can't get on the river, maybe it's because in a small six month season two months at least got eaten up by Corona, maybe because, halfway through June already and I've only gotten out, with a new and long anticipated rod, once, and blancked.
Who knows but that little computer algorism thing that showed me those pictures this morning depressed the crap out of me, I'm sure that's not what they intended but still, it drove home what a shitty, shitty year this year is lining up to be and as far as the fishing season is concerned, then to be honest, I've lost hope.
Roll on 2021, I've never intentionally wished my life away but,.....

Mrtrout

Cheer up me old mucker, was that PB when you were with me ?
youve had a particularly bad year I know, but things will get better, I’m looking forward to putting you on an even bigger trout next time.
Now have a wee dram and look to the future. 🍷
S.

corto maltese

Yes it was Steven and I'll take your advice, as always, and splosh a drop in a glass.
It's still a bit depressing though.
I am well aware that I'm pissing and whinging, I know I'm a lot better off and a lot less affected than a lot of other people but in my little bubble ,.... I'm crying in my cups, forgive me.

tierradelfuego

It's a weird old thing this fishing lark sometimes though CM. I promised myself and my wife in January that this year I would be out every weekend in April, May and June before the long summer slog set in. What happened, well that's obvious, and it's a real shame. In the South here, we had such a good winter rainfall that the rivers are the best in years, and even though I've only been out 5 times since the season opened, I've caught more trout so far than all of last year combined, so you just never know what is round the corner, especially when it's so unexpected...

jaybeegee

Chin up Corto, enjoy your memories of last season, but think on; there’s a big trout sipping flies just now just waiting for you to turn up.... might be next season, but it will happen.
B

hutch6

Yes it was Steven and I'll take your advice, as always, and splosh a drop in a glass.
It's still a bit depressing though.
I am well aware that I'm pissing and whinging, I know I'm a lot better off and a lot less affected than a lot of other people but in my little bubble ,.... I'm crying in my cups, forgive me.
I haven't managed to get out once yet so you're doing better than me with your one trip - trip of a lifetime for me that would be right now :D

You'll recover and even if this season is written off this period will stick with everyone and make every moment spent out in nature or with friends all that more special and we will be ever more grateful for those times.

Now isn't the time to be thinking about what you're missing out on, it's the time to plan and promise yourself that once this is all done and dusted you're going to go wet a line where you've always wanted to, set the seeds and give yourself exciting anticipation not anguish.

BobP

This time last year my wife and I were in Vancouver preparing to board the Queen Elizabeth for a 49 day cruise back to Southampton. Thank God we did it then and didn't wait another year!

corto maltese

Thanks Hutch 6, that got me thinking.
Next season is looking good now, Pyrenees, Sweden, norway, Finland ? somewhere driveable. You've got me making plans 😁

hutch6

Thanks Hutch 6, that got me thinking.
Next season is looking good now, Pyrenees, Sweden, norway, Finland ? somewhere driveable. You've got me making plans 😁
I can highly recommend the Pyrenees!!

The water is like clingfilm!!

I drove alongside a long stretch of a river there and could hardly see the water it was that clear. There was a guy fly fishing it too which made me want to go back even more. Love that region of France and promised myself I;d get back for a bit of peche a la mouche.