Thornton 2006

ifor

Fishing report week ending 03/09/06

We did have some very windy days last week that kept the rods off the water, however when the wind allowed we enjoyed excellent sport with the last couple of hours providing good evening sport with fish moving to buzzers & sedge.

Floating line was the first choice of line for most of the week with a muddler, sedge, daddy, diawl bach, suspender buzzer & claret nymph with an intermediate or midge tip also taking fish on buzzers, nymph & goldhead daddy. The area in front of the dam to the cages produced best, especially during the evening with a few fish taken from the arms.

Gary Owen caught 10 for his evenings visit, Mark Perry fished three late evening sessions from his float tube to take 14 trout to 4lb, Bill Stone caught 10 for his evening visit, Dave Pritchard fished a diawl bach & damsel for his morning visit to catch 9 fish 7lb8oz, Norman Perkins used his suspender buzzers during his mornings visit to catch 20 trout whilst Christine Bagshaw used a small claret teeny nymph to catch 13 to 4lb. Other notable trout John Salisbury 5lb4oz, R. Dredge 4lb8oz, D. Howat 4lb12oz, J. Thomson 4lb8oz, Allan Coleman 4lb12oz, Andre Russell 4lb8oz, John Everett 4lb6oz, C. Cattell 5lb, R. Ryce 4lb4oz & 4lb8oz, R. Towers 4lb4oz, Lol Worrall 4lb12oz, M. Sturgees 4lb, A. Wale 4lb8oz.

Don’t forget the largest trout of the 2006 season wins you a season permit for the 2007 season, trout must be weighed at the fishery scales & witnessed by a member of staff. The fish to beat as of last week 7lb8oz by Dave Pritchard.

With the reducing daylight hours our part day boat times have altered to:

Morning Boat 8.30am – 2.30pm / Afternoon Boat 2.30pm – 8.15pm

The last three weeks have fished well with a number of grown on fish over 3lb been taken, with the current long range forecast looking favourable we should enjoy a good Autumns fishing.

Contact the lodge 01530 230807

Ifor

ifor

Fishing Report week ending 10/09/06

It certainly has an early Autumn feel to it, colder misty mornings, warm daytime temperatures followed by cooler evenings, its one of my favourite times of year. The sedges, buzzer & daddies are bringing the trout onto the surface with the best of the rise occurring during the late afternoon to last light. Lots of trout moving at times although not always proving easy to catch. The boats on the drift using black or claret buzzers, silver invicta, whickams, wet daddy or muddler all pulled through the wave or dry sedge, daddy & suspender buzzers are catching best with the area from the cages to the main car park, green bay & stones still producing best.

Russ Martin won the Thornton Fly Fishers pensioners match taking 6 fish 12lb1oz then returning onto the water to return a further 4 trout, Clive Holt continues to make the most of the afternoon session catching 10 to 5lb4oz on his first visit of the week, returning the following evening to catch 22, Norman Perkins caught 10 to 5lb2oz on suspender buzzers, Dave Mottram caught 6 to 6lb12oz on CDC buzzers, Thryberg Angling Club visited Thornton over the weekend with junior angler J. Rogers taking a 5lb rainbow.

Other notable fish were: G.A. Richards 5lb, H. Hunns 4lb1oz, 4lb11oz, W. Lewin 4lb, D. Herrington 4lb8oz, M. Gardner 6lb, Mr Shackleford 4lb8oz, Reverend Chip 4lb8oz, S. Williams 4lb, 4lb8oz, Rowett 4lb8oz, A. Russell 4lb, 4lb4oz, Roy Bailey 5lb8oz, B. Downes 5lb, K. Shenton 5lb4oz, N. Winter 4lb8oz, J. McArdle 4lb10oz, J. Jackson 4lb.

Full day boats 8.30am – 8.00pm
Part day boats 8.30am – 2.30pm / 2.30pm – 8.00pm
Lodge open from 7.30am Tel 01530 230807 www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Ifor

ifor

Fishing report week ending 17/09/06

An algae bloom this past week slowed the fishing bringing our rod average from 3.0 to 1.9 Although we have had huge amounts of daddies on the water the trout seem more interested in feeding on the buzzers.

Cages, green bay & the stones have produced best to either an intermediate with montana, silver invicta, buzzers or fry patterns or a floating line with a daddy or floating fry on the point with buzzers on the dropper.

Mike Cupitt caught 8 to 4lb8oz on daddy, muddler & buzzers, Geoff & Shirley Over caught 7 to over 3lb on damsel & daddy, Harold Pritchard caught 6 on an intermediate & cats whisker, J Crane & his son Simon caught 7 on small dry daddies for their evenings visit, whilst Peter Blackburn on a visit from New York borrowed a rod & line from the lodge purchased a few daddies & buzzers & was rewarded with 6 fish to 3lb8oz.

Don’t forget the largest fish caught, weighed & witnessed by a member of staff will win its captor a free season permit for the 2007 season at the moment the fish to beat an 8lb3oz rainbow was taken by Mick Adkin fishing a small white booby on an intermediate. Other notable fish this week R. Knapp 4lb, E. Caley 4lb7oz, P. Shipley 5lb, B. White 5lb8oz, Mrs Mary Taylor 4lb & 3lb, John Montford 4lb, N. Williams 5lb, B. Beeshard 4lb12oz, Louis Conway 4lb6oz & A. Daniels 4lb4oz..

With the trees starting to get their Autumn colours the trout will start to turn their attention to the fry during the next few weeks, it could be worth venturing up the arms & fishing along the weed. With a small minkie or floating fry.

Full day boats 8.30am – 7.45pm
Part day boats 8.30am – 2.30pm / 2.30pm – 7.45pm
Tel 01530 230807 www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Ifor

guest21

ifor said:
Fishing report week ending 03/09/06

...... Bill Stone caught 10 for his evening visit,
Ifor

That's more than he'd catch in an entire season when I used to fish with him! :D

I'd love to get back in touch with him - please God he's not still playing rugby for Loughborough - if you could possibly PM me his phone number Ifor I'd be very grateful.

Lighthouse (aka Paul Dunstan)

ifor

Lighthouse,

When I see Bill next I will check its OK to give out his number & PM it to you.

Squire

Still soms algae as its cooler today it not as bad, also the wind has helped. Big Autumn stocking due today (friday) to give us a good October / early November, just over 3000 trout been stocked in one go have done this over the past couple of seasons and it seems to stir the resident trout.

Ifor

Trugg

grayling

Funny that Jim

I walked to the lodge at Thornton and said hello to a chap passing and thought his beard reminds me of 3lb Graylings pics on the forum. Now i know it was you i am dissapointed not to have met you properly for a chat, but next time eh. How you missed a big ugly chap like me i'll never know especially with my pics causing a giggle on the fff, but im not sure you had your glasses on.

Mogul

The Squire

I had a great afternoon yesterday, algae sees to have cleared ok. Took seven nice rainbows all in great condition. Five on a wickhams mini muddler, one on a grenadier, one on a red dry. Strange thing was my buddy only took one, and that was when we swapped ends in the boat! We were even fishing the same flys! After we changed ends he did get a load more takes on drys but they were coming short, almost as if they were trying to sink the flies first. Strange game this fishing.

ifor

Fishing report week ending 25/09/06

During the past week 162 rods caught 344 trout returning 125 for weekly rod average of 2.1 The majority of the fish were taken during the second half of the week when the algae started to clear. Over the weekend anglers reported lots of fish moving & drowning daddies but hooking them proved to be a different story.

Morning & the afternoon session is fishing best with the drop in temperature during the last hour reducing the chance of an evening rise. We have spooned a few more trout this week that have fry in them, with the buzzer, sedges & daddies starting to come to an end for this season more of the trout in the reservoir will be seeking out the fry.

During the past week a floating line with daddies, sedge, red diawl bach & muddlers have worked best or when the sun has been out an intermediate with a drowned daddy, diawl bach & fry patterns has worked around the cages, green bay & stones.

Mr M. Sheppard caught 12 to 4lb4oz on buzzers, Dave Saunt fished a gold head daddy to take 8 to 4lb, P. Moore caught 10, Christine Bagshaw caught 9 on buzzers & hoppers. Other notable trout were taken by D. Sanderson 6lb6oz, P. Wrigley 4lb12oz, 4lb4oz, Richard Keating 4lb8oz, 4lb, A. Coleman 6lb4oz, W. Moore 4lb, M. Lowe 4lb8oz, J. McArdle 5lb10oz, M. Goode 4lb4oz.

With the clearing algae & a the large Autunm stocking of 3000 trout going in last week we can look forward to some good weeks fishing.

Don’t forget the captor of the largest trout at Thornton this year will win a season permit for the 2007 season, the fish must be weighed on the fishery scales & witnessed by a fishery member of staff, at the moment the fish to beat 8lb3oz caught by Mick Adkin.

Full Day Boats 8.30am – 7.20pm
Part Day Boats 8.30am – 2.00pm / 2.00pm – 7.20pm
Lodge open from 7.30am
Tel 01530 230807 www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

ifor

Thornton Fishery Report week ending 01/10/06

Great weeks fishing with 177 rods catching 1074 trout returning 547 for rod average 6.1 with the majority of the fish been caught on a floating line with daddies, hoppers, suspender buzzers, diawl bach, hares ear, silver invicta, small fry patterns & montana with the thornton arm opposite the lodge, cages, stones & green bay all producing fish.

With a weekly rod average of 6.1 many day & season rods have caught 10 or more trout for their visit, however I must mention Phil Kemp who caught 33 on nymphs for his visit, John Martin caught 29 for his visit on a wet daddy whilst David Inglis caught 22.

Norman Williams enjoyed an afternoon session he will never forget catching 17 trout including a terrific brace of rainbows weighing 7lb15oz & 6lb6oz, other notable trout were taken by J. McArdle 5lb10oz, R. Jones 4lb, D. Herrington 4lb12oz, G. Lewis 5lb8oz, Ian Tansey 4lb4oz, M. Phillis 5lb, Jem Langley 4lb.

The good fishing has continued into this week with Mondays rod average again over 6 & fish taken to over 6lb.

With only seven weeks to go before the end of the season & with a good head of trout in the reservoir I fully expect to have a good Autums fishing.

Full Day Boats 8.30am – 7.05pm
Part Day Boats 7.30am – 2.00pm / 2.00pm – 7.05pm

Lodge open from 7.30am Tel 01530 230807

Ifor

ifor

Fishing report week ending 08/10/06

Another good weeks fishing with a rod average of 4.1 with 176 rods catching 728 trout returning 310 with the mid morning onwards producing best.

The area in front of the lodge to the cages has fished best with the stones & green bay area also worth a try, however when the wind allowed anglers who went into the Markfield arm reported a lot of trout seen moving in this area. Best method has been a floating or intermediate line with muddlers, damsel, zonker, diawl bach, buzzers & daddy although with very few daddies to be seen over the past few days I think we can safely say that the daddies are over for this season.

John & Sue Hall enjoyed their visit catching 20 trout, Norman Perkins caught 17, Clive Holt caught 26 for his two afternoon visits, M. Phillis caught 19 on muddlers & diawl bach down the Markfield arm, Neil James called in for 4 hours & found the fish in a feeding frenzy catching 14.

John Coles caught the largest fish of the week 6lb2oz, Dennis Humphries caught 4lb12oz, J. Mcardle 5lb6oz, L. Higgins 5lb7oz, R. Dredge 4lb with John Foster 5lb. Don’t forget the largest rainbow caught this year, weighed on the fishery scales & witnessed by Ifor will win you a season permit for the 2007 season, the fish to beat 8lb3oz.

Full day boat times 8.30am – 6.50pm
Part day boat times 8.30am – 2.00pm / 2.00pm – 6.50pm
Lodge open from 7.30am

Dates for your diary
On Saturday 14th October the British Float Tubing Association will be meeting at Thornton for a days fishing, all tubers are welcome to attend.

Want to learn fly tying, Thornton Fly Fishers meet every Wednesday night 7.30pm at the Working Men's Club Thornton, they have tools & vices for you to use, all welcome.

October 26th Thursday 7.30pm the local branch of the Salmon & Trout Association has Charles Jardine coming to talk on his favourite way of catching & cooking trout, venue Rothley Court Hotel, contact Ian Kilgour on 01162 350025 to confirm numbers attending.

Ifor

ifor

Fishing report week ending 15/10/06

A late season hatch of buzzers ensured an unexpected evening rise on three or four evenings last week with Norma Prime taking an evening off from the lodge to catch & return 10 trout during a rise in green bay on black buzzers. Nigel Harris fished a cdc buzzer, black buzzer & a lime green buzzer in green bay to catch 27 trout, with Louis Conway & Geoff Willis catching 16 trout between them to 5lb on emerger buzzers.

Not all of the 607 trout caught last week were feeding on buzzers with the drop in temperature more fish are taking fry patterns with a white zonker, olive zonker, minkie, floating fry & muddlers taking fish from in front of the dam, stones & lonesome pine.

The best of the sport is to be had during the warmest part of the day, 10.30am through to 4.30pm this is the period of the day the trout will be at their most active.

Full Day Boats 8.30am – 6.35pm
Part Day Boats 8.30am – 1.30pm / 1.30pm – 6.35pm

Lodge open from 7.30am Tel 01530 230807
www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

ifor

Thornton fishing report week ending 29/10/06

Heavy rain last week put 4 inches on the level of the reservoir & although the water clarity remained good the influx of water put the fish off the feed as 134 rods struggled to catch 185 trout.

However at times the good hatches of small black buzzers continued with fish moving on the surface to them the Reverend Chip caught 6 for his morning session on cdc buzzers, Norma Prime managed 8 on small black buzzers for her afternoon visit while Mick Groom & boat partner C. Scott caught 9 to 4lb2oz on black hoppers & cdc buzzers while John Gillingham took the best fish of the week 6lb rainbow.

The most productive time to fish has been 10.30am to 4.30pm with the dam, green bay & stones still producing best although with a frost forecast for later on this week we may at log last see the fish move into the shallows after the fry.

Full Day Boats 8.30am – 5.00pm

Our last day of the season falls on Sunday November 19th.

If you would like to receive information on the membership options for next year contact the lodge 01530 230807 or visit our web site www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Lodge open from 7.30am

Ifor

stevet

what was most exasperating about my visit this week gone was the five or six three pound plus fish swimming around eating the swans bread in front of the lodge in less than one foot of water!!! Merrily being fed by the general public! Anyone got a breadflake fly??

oh well.....:confused:

A

Arthur Wellesley

I know that feeling Steve. I fished Thornton on Sunday. Spent the whole day wading and saw fish around my legs, some a good size, but didn't get a take all day. Almost resorted to tickling 'em!

First time I fished Thornton. Nice water and a beautiful day.

Pass us me net

stevet said:
what was most exasperating about my visit this week gone was the five or six three pound plus fish swimming around eating the swans bread in front of the lodge in less than one foot of water!!! Merrily being fed by the general public! Anyone got a breadflake fly??

oh well.....:confused:

I think Ifor might have something to say about fishing for them, they're his pets!!

stevet

Well they certainly werent spooked by any of the gawping public!! (me included)

I half contemplated standing on the boat jetty and lobbing a white booby over them.....

Trugg

I thought it was a Carp as there are a few in Thornton. It was just sat outside the lodge like waiting at a drive-thru on Sunday. Then i was told its a 7lb Blue trout waiting for his sandwich at which point in went the bread and it came alive, fascinating to watch. I think Ifor as a name for it but he keeps it quiet as he wouldn,t want to be seen as a wuss :D