Fly Fishing Forum banner

Thornton 2006

6K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  ifor 
#1 ·
Fishing report week ending 21/05/06

A better weeks fishing despite the wet & windy conditions we had at the end of the week with 160 rods catching 423 trout returning 154 for rod average 2.6 Water clarity remains excellent with visibility to over 11ft

82 year old Lol Worral fished twice during the week catching 9 on his first visit & 14 on his second with all his fish taken on static buzzers on a 20ft leader, Andrew Brook-Lawson caught 10 on a dry hawthorn pattern in front of the dam, Mark Sturgees fished an afternoon session catching 8 on buzzers including 3 fish over 2lb.

Our buzzer hatches seem to be better than last year with more of the larger grey & black buzzers. During the last week the first of the damsels have also shown with plenty of hawthorn still been blown onto the water.

During any overcast period a muddler pulled through the wave has produced exciting sport with plenty of fish seen to be moving in front of the dam & stones during the last hour.

Full Day Boats 8.30am - 9.30pm

Part Day Boats 8.30am - 2.30pm / 2.30pm - 9.30pm

Lodge & tackle shop open from 7.30am. Tel 01530 230807
www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

See less See more
#2 ·
Thornton Fishing report week ending 28/05/06

A mixed week of weather once again, wind, rain, warm evenings followed by a cold evening, with the fishing a little like the weather, better one day than the other. Our water clarity remains excellent despite all the rain, during the week 148 rods caught 340 trout returning 126 for rod average 2.3

Lol Worral continued to catch on his 20ft leader & buzzers catching 27 trout to 4lb for his two visits, Dave Pritchard took 4 fish for 12lb & returned a further 8 on a claret diwal bach, Clive Holt fished an evening session using his hares ear & suspender buzzers to catch 22 trout. On the warmer evenings excellent hatches of buzzer have ensured a good evening rise with the best of the sport to be had during the last hour. In a good wave the fish are prepared to chase a muddler, exciting sport. Other successful patterns this week were ph tail, hares ear, damsel & Oakham orange.

During the evening boats fishing the drift are enjoying the best of the sport, you cover more of the water & are sure to present your fly to many more fish.

Full Day Boats 8.30am - 9.40pm

Part Day Boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 9.40pm

Lodge & tackle shop open from 7.30am

Opportunity to try rods especially the Greys G Series or the excellent Redington Core Performance.

Just Arrived:- Baleno waterproof coats & trousers

Tel 01530 230807 www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Ifor

#3 ·
Fishing report week ending 04/06/06

Summer has arrived at last, it made a pleasant change to feel the suns warmth on your back. With the warmer weather the damsels are showing in increasing numbers, far better than last year, its time to fish the Wetcel2 or DI3 during the day with damsel patterns. Our sedge hatches are also excellent with plenty about the margins during the evening.

Russ Whitmore & Andre Russell have enjoyed excellent sport fishing from their float tubes taking 8 fish limits for 18lb on size 14 gold head hares ears & 14 flashback damsels. Mr R. Bowers on his first session in his new float tube fished a 14 flashback damsel to catch 7 trout. Melvyn Pepper caught 10 trout to 2lb again on a small hares ear. Duncan Millar & John Foster won the Thornton Fly Fishers boat pairs with 11 trout for 25lb including fish up to 4lb2oz.

During the day hares ear, damsels orange fritz & buzzers have caught well with elk hair sedges, shipmans buzzers & cdc buzzers working well during the evening.

Full day boats 8.30am - 9.50pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 9.50pm

Ifor

#4 ·
Week ending 11/06/06

What a week of weather with air temperatures most days above 80 degrees, it was sure to have an impact on the fishing, & it did.

The best of the fishing was to be had during the morning session with the deeper water between the cages & the stones producing best as the trout moved in to the cooler 12 - 16ft of water. Intermediate with long leaders & weighted flies or a sinking line with booby, damsel or orange fritz produced best although John Thomson fished a floating line with a 20ft+ leader weighted hares ear on the point & diawl bach on the dropper to take 8 trout.

With the sudden warm weather anglers catch & releasing will need to give the trout extra time to recover, also please remember no booby flies to be used if your fishing catch & release.

Our water clarity remains excellent with excellent hatches of sedge, damsel & small olive buzzers, on spooning the trout they are feeding hard on damsels & small buzzers, the hot weather certainly has`nt put them off their food, their just feeding at the lower cooler depths.

Boat full day 8.30am - 10.00pm

Boats part day 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm -10pm

#5 ·
Weekly fishing report, week ending 18/06/06

Despite the hot weather we had a reasonable weeks fishing with 149 rods catching 353 trout returning 95 for rod average 2.4. The morning session is fishing best with the cooler night time temperatures helping to make the fish more active during the morning.

The best of the fishing is to be had from the boats with the cages, stones & dam wall producing best, anglers with fish finders report plenty of fish lying between 12 - 18ft. The fish we spooned this week had been feeding on green buzzers, damsel & bloodworm

Trevor Pegg fished a morning session taking 8 fish for 21lb2oz & returning a further 6 on a floating line, long leader & static buzzer. Mick Huffer took time off from teaching people to fish to enjoy a morning session to himself taking 8 fish for 21lb & returning a further 5 trout on an intermediate & buzzers, Lol Worral continues to do well catching 11 on buzzers & diawl bach before returning two days later to catch a further 12.

Thornton Fly Fishers fished their annual boat singles competition with 14 anglers taking part the eventual winner with 6 fish for 14lb4oz was J. Foster, 2nd J. Salisbury 6 fish 13lb11oz & 3rd M. Martin 6 fish 13lb3oz an excellent result despite the weather.

We are enjoying huge hatches of long horn sedge, small olive buzzers & damsels, with the first of the pin fry to be seen along the margins & around the boat dock.

With the cooler forecast for this week I expect the sport to continue, however the morning session is likely to fish best.

With the weather were having do ensure any fish to be returned are given plenty of time to recover.

Full day boats 8.30am - 10.00pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 10.00pm

01530 230807 www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Ifor

#6 ·
Fishing report week ending 25/06/06

Sea of blue, huge, fantastic, best ever, were some of the comments we received this week regarding the massive hatch of damsels, in my 25 years at Thornton it's the best hatch I've seen, & not surprising the best fly to use was a damsel nymph fished on a floating, midge tip or intermediate along the weed beds of the Thornton arm, wood bank & farm bank.

The cooler morning session is fishing best with large numbers of trout to be seen feeding on damsels, sedges & small green buzzers. Chris Birch took advantage of the cooler morning session to catch 7 trout to 6lb on damsel patterns from the bank. Russ Whitmore took to his float tube to catch 10 on damsel patterns from in front of the wood, Gary Owen fished a morning session to catch 12 with Lol Worrall continuing to catch on his static buzzers fished deep.

Best patterns, damsel flies, olive buzzers, stick fly, dry sedge patterns with a static or very slow retrieve getting the best reaction.

If your catch & releasing please ensure you give the trout adequate time to recover.

Full day boat times 8.30am - 10.00pm
Part day boat times 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 10.00pm

Ifor

#7 ·
Fishing report week ending 02/07/06

The early part of last week fished well with cooler air temperature keeping the surface water temperature under 19 degrees with the trout moving onto the shallows of the wood bank & farm to feed on the damsels during the day & longhorn sedge of an evening.

David Lupton fished a morning session in front of the farm bank to catch 18 trout on damsel, Phil Kemp caught 30 on an Oakham orange from in front of the wood, P. Hyde caught 12 for his morning session, D. Saunt caught 14 on damsels & whickams again in front of the wood with Norma Prime proving you should follow her advice when shes in the lodge by catching 9 on size 18 buzzer.

However as we reached the weekend the forecast was giving the start of a hot spell of weather & mornings proved best with Kevin Swinscoe catching 12 from a float tube in front of the wood & Stuart (Pitsford Pirate) catching 10 to buzzers fished static on a long leader.

Its important, especially important with this current hot spell that you give the trout plenty of time to recover if fishing catch & release, you may need to give the trout up to 5 minutes to recover, any mishandling of trout we see during this current hot spell will lead to a suspension of the catch & release option.

During last week 217 rods caught 541 trout returning 261 for rod average 2.5.

Full day boats 8.30am - 10.00pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 10.00pm

Lodge & shop open from 7.30am www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Ifor

#8 ·
ifor said:
However as we reached the weekend the forecast was giving the start of a hot spell of weather & mornings proved best with Kevin Swinscoe catching 12 from a float tube in front of the wood & Stuart (Pitsford Pirate) catching 10 to buzzers fished static on a long leader.
The CF Forum social boys did Thornton proud :D

:rolleyes:

#10 ·
Huge thanks to Ifor for being such an incredible host at yet another suberb weekend social.

Was out on Sunday 8.30am sharp with Paul Evans and we had an incredible morning's fishing, fifteen to the boat in less than five hours.

We fished the same spot all morning, sitting equidistant between the cages and the wooded bank. We never used the bung, simply watched the line loop formed between the rod tip and the water, as soon as it moved....wallop! All solid hook ups.

Killer patterns included Black & Grey Spanflex Buzzer with Sunburst Edge Goose Biot cheeks X6, Olive and Black Spanflex Buzzer with Holo Green Flashback X2 and Yellow Hopper X2.

Tightlines

The Pirate.

#11 ·
It was my first visit to Thornton last weekend, and what a wonderful fishery it is.
I'd be lying if I said the sport was easy, most of us had to work pretty hard for it (even AnglersVoice Kev Swinscoe - who was out in the tube by 0430 to notch up the dozen before brekkie), however with a water temp of 21 degrees and the air temp nudging 32 in the shade it was bound to be tough going in the mdst of the day.

Ifor was an absolut star, keeping an endless succession of coolblocks rotating thro' the freezer, a marquee up for us to base ourselves in, and generally being the perfect host. Thanks agaion Ifor.

The only minor disappointment was due to some poor reporting from Todays Flyfisher. :p "Agent X " seems to have some level of confusion over what constitutes a shower... there was a nappy changing room, and there were toilets. No shower. C'mon Tim! I was choked, as I'd fully expected there to be one and arrived with towel over elbow and gel in hand, having liberally doused myself with an exploding bottle of Dr.Pepper whilst driving up the M1, just to make sure I really appreciated the facilities on offer!
;)

A wonderful weekend, and a superb venue. Must get up there again soon.

Those of you that are in the area - hit it early or late, and it fishes its socks off!
:)

#12 ·
Fishing report week ending 09/07/06

The morning session is fishing best after the cooler nighttime temperatures as season permit holder Terry Ord discovered. Member can fish from first light & Terry took advantage of an early start on Sunday morning taking 8 trout & returning a further 7 to 3lb on suspender buzzers, Terry caught his fish between 5am & 8.30am from the bank along the green bay.

Boat anglers are also finding the fish to be more active during the morning session, Garry Owen fished buzzers on a 20ft+ leader around the cages to catch 30 trout for his two morning sessions, Andy Downes who only took up fly fishing this season has soon mastered the long leader & static buzzer to catch 8 for his morning, Adrian Vaughan took a different approach & fished his buzzers on a sinking line catching 8 again for a morning session.

The best area has been around the cages, dam, main car park & green bay with black buzzers size 10 - 12 & a damsel fished on a floating line or intermediate. During the afternoon a sinking line has worked best with buzzers, damsel, cats whisker, montana & booby.

Although the water temperature has cooled the trout will require more time to recover when your fishing catch & release. Also remember NO BOOBIES when catch & releasing.

The morning session has fished consistently well for a number of weeks, our advice is to get here & be out on the water as near to 8.30am as possible.

Full day boats 8.30am - 10.00pm £8.00 day rods / £6.00 members

Part day boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 10.00pm £5.00 day rods / £4.00 members

Tackle shop & lodge open from 7.30am www.flyfishthornton.co.uk
Tel: 01530 230807

Ifor

#13 ·
Wellwishers

Hi All
After spending the day at Thornton in a boat on my own on the Saturday in question i can confirm the sentiments of the above.
After buying from stewart and having corresponded with several other members of the forum (both) it was a surprise to see the number of forum members at the venue when I arrived.Keeping myself to myself I got on with the job in hand and soon had a fish in the boat:D just two pegs down from Kev and listening intently to his desciptions of shipmans etc yeilded nothing so off I went up the lake to fish deeper water and try some other methods. As a novice this seemed the best course of action. Still no results but it didnt matter, I had enjoyed the day and for £25 had a boat to myself and watched and learned from other anglers while I hope not bothering anyone:eek:
No one else caught through the day and at 6.00 I set off back up the M1, 100 miles later and a little Pi**ed at the football result I looked back with some satisfaction.
I would like to thank Ifor for the sound advice and wish him well, not many fishery managers would advise a customer to not return until September after catching a single fish but he did.Thus ensuring a return by myself before the years out.
Maybee next time ill be amongst the early risers and the fish, it certainly opened my eyes yo the comradeship after the disillusionment of the fly tying swaps ive been involved with.
Thanks Ifor and thanks inadvertently to the members of the forum(s).

Gary:)

#14 ·
Mid September will bring with it cooler water temperature & better fishing with trout feeding on the last good hatches of sedge & buzzer before turning their attention to the fry, a better bet if your travelling from affar.

During the next few week the morning session will fish best get to the reservoir for 7.30am & out on the boats as soon as their ready.

Ifor

#15 ·
Fishing report week ending 16/07/06

The morning session has once again fished the best especially towards the weekend when the hot weather arrived. The hot weather has caused us to have an algae bloom but so far anglers fishing the cooler morning session continue to catch as did Mr J. Woo who returned 14 trout taken on an elk hair caddis.

Lol Worral continues top find the trout fishing his buzzers on a 20ft+ leader around the cages & red buoy area catching 29 trout for his three visits. John Everett fished the green bay area to take 7 trout on an bloodworm pattern. Montana & flash back damsel, Neil James came for his Friday afternoon session & caught 7 trout between 2.00pm & 6.30pm, Richard Dayman found a slow retrieve on his intermediate with buzzers, flash back damsel & bloodworm certainly worked catching 10 for his Sunday visit, Tony Sockett also fished Sunday Morning catching 4 trout to 5lb on damsel nymphs.

Fish your buzzers static & your nymphs need as slow a retrieve as possible, try not to strike until the fish has taken the fly properly, lots of anglers reported missed takes as the trout nipped & plucked at the fly.

With the heat wave forecast to be with us this Monday, Tuesday Wednesday, Thursday, the long range is giving a fresher forecast for Friday 21 degrees & 12 mile an hour winds, keep in touch with the lodge for up to the minute information on the fishing.

Part day boat times 8.00am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 10.00pm
Full day boat times 8.00am - 10.00pm

Lodge & tackle shop open from 7.30am www.flyfishthornton.co.uk
01530 230807

Ifor

#16 ·
Fishing report week ending 23/07/06

Despite last weeks hottest day ever recorded for July & heat wave warnings on the radio, television & in the paper, we recorded a record for ourselves at the fishery our best ever weekly rod average for July as 101 anglers caught 336 trout returning 101 trout for rod average of 3.3

We are experiencing high daytime & water surface temperatures but the 10 - 12 mph winds we have had have helped to keep the anglers cool on the water & has made the early morning to tea time session worth fishing.

More & more anglers are trying to fish with a floating line & 20 - 25ft leaders, its not as difficult as it sounds, taper your leader from 10lb -8lb-6lb (use fluorocarbon) to help get a good turnover & have all your flies spaced 4 ft apart on the lower 10 - 12 ft of your leader with a heavy buzzer size 8 or weighted bloodworm pattern on the point to get it down, there is no need to cast far, a 15 -18yard cast is ample, give the flies plenty of time to get down then fish them static or very, very slowly. A large percentage of our catches over the past month have come on this method.

As you would expect with this hot spell a fast sinking line & booby is also working, with some anglers also having success using an intermediate line with damsel, buzzers & cruncher, again though fish it slowly.

Mick Martin caught 15 to 4lb for his mornings visit with the 20ft+ leader & buzzers, Lol Worral caught 18 for his two morning visits again 20ft leader & buzzers, Dave Mottram caught11 to 3lb8oz, Jon Dews & S. Kelly both caught 12 to 3lb on buzzers with Mark Sturgees catching 16 to 3lb8ox on damsel & buzzers, whilst S.Williams tried a float tube for the first time on Sunday morning catching 5 on a booby.

On Sunday we had three angling clubs fishing the Midland Cup despite the weather 27 anglers caught 127 trout for rod average 4.7 with Packington Fly Fishers been the winning team, second was the Royal Oak Team& third was the Hucknall & Linby Team.

Morning session is still the best time to fish with the deeper cooler water around the cages, stones & dam producing best.

Full Day Boats 8.30am - 9.45pm
Part Day Boats 7.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 9.45pm

Tel 01530 230807

Ifor

#17 ·
Fishing Report week ending 30/07/06

Watching the daily forecast & picking the best morning session was the key to success last week with the very hot & muggy weather on Tuesday & Wednesday seeing very few fish taken. Our most productive days were Monday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday with a cooler breeze during the day producing a rod average above 2.3 for those days with the morning once again been the most productive time to fish. During the week 113 rods caught 215 trout returning 90 for rod average 1.9

During the early part of the week with the weather at its worst a sinking line with a short leader & booby produced best but with a change in the weather towards the weekend with cooler day time temperatures & a strong cool breeze anglers starting catching on intermediate & floating lines with gold head daddies, bloodworm, black buzzers & olive buzzers, but its important to fish the flies static or dead slow.

Over the weekend a few fish were taken from in front of the dam which had been feeding on the perch fry, totally unexpected when you consider the weather last week.

With a better forecast this coming week cooler daytime temperatures 18 - 21 degrees & a strong breeze forecast which will help to mix the warm upper layers of the reservoir with the much cooler lower layers it will hopefully see a return to better fishing conditions.

Boat Times Full Day 8.30am - 9.0pm
Boat Times Part Day 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 9.30pm

#18 ·
Fishing report week ending 06/08/06

Another week when the morning session has fished the best, however Mick Brant proved me wrong on Saturday taking a boat out at 6.30pm he went to the top of the Thornton Arm & fished the edge of the weed beds where an excellent hatch of olives was taking place, in two hours 6.30pm - 8.30pm he caught 12 trout on olive patterns missing & losing many more. I went up there for a look at 7pm on Sunday evening, yet another good hatch of olives & plenty of trout moving to them.

With cooler forecast for this coming week we should see an upturn in the sport with a floating line & intermediate producing best on the cooler overcast days. Goldheaded daddies, orange fritz, small cormorant lure, buzzers & diawl bach have worked the best, during what was at times a difficult weeks fishing, however as always some anglers caught, Mick Brant mentioned above had 12, Harold Pritchard caught 6 on an orange fritz, Roger Jones caught 7 for his morning session on fry patterns while Mr Lupton & Mr R Jones caught 9 between them on mini muddler & bibio for their morning visit.

Generally the deeper water around the cages, red buoy & dam continues to fish best but with olives & sedges hatching the weed beds at the top of each arm may well be worth a look.

Full day boats 8.30am - 9.10pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 9.10pm

www.flyfishthornton.co.uk Tel 01530 230807

Ifor

#19 ·
Fishing report week ending 20/08/06

With last weeks rain, wind & cooler air temperature the surface water temperature has dropped to 17 degrees excellent water temperature for surface sport & we had an instant improvement to the fishing with 144 rods catching 478 trout returning 224 for rod average 3.3, far better than the same week last year

Floating lines with buzzers, diawl bach, hopper, sedges & muddlers caught the majority of the trout with anglers fishing the drift from the dam to the wood producing best. Notable catches were made by Clive Holt 11 fish to shipmans & greenwells, Norma Prime caught 13 during an afternoon session on daddies, John Gillingham returned 14 for his afternoon session, A. Wilson caught 12 for his morning session on claret bumble & diawl bach with Trevor Pegg catching 15 on buzzers & diawl bach.

With the forecast for August remaining unsettled we should continue to see the fish been taken on or near the surface & with a good head of fish in the reservoir prospect look excellent for the last third of this season.

Full day boats 8.30am - 8.45pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 8.45pm

Ifor

#20 ·
Fishing report week ending 27/08/06

Another good weeks fishing with the cooler conditions ensuring good top of the water sport as 183 rods caught 556 trout returning 196 for rod average 3. Late morning, early afternoon has fished best with a good evening rise to buzzers, sedges & caenis during the last hour.

A floating line with G&H sedge, daddy, hopper, muddler, diawl bach, whickams & invicta has produced best, although during any bright periods an intermediate with a goldheaded daddy, goldheaded hares ear or white fritz has also taken fish with the area around the cages, stones & Thornton Arm best area to try. Some of the trout taken this week have been feeding heavily on snails not something we see often at Thornton, although this year our margins are full of them.

Dave Saunt fished a morning session catching 9 on damsel & sedge patterns, Clive Holt fished an evening session catching 13 trout retuning later in the week to catch 17 on shipmans & grey phtail, Mick Groom caught 10 on cdc & hopper, Peter Broad caught 14 on small red diawl bach with Richard Dayman & Nigel Harvey catching 17 between them to over 3lb on diwal bach & daddy.

The high point for the week was the welcome return to a good evening rise during the last couple of hours, with large numbers of trout moving on the surface.

Full Day Boats 8.30am - 8.30pm
Part Day Boats 8.30am - 3.00pm / 3.00pm - 8.30pm

Lodge open from 7.30am www.flyfishthornton.co.uk Tel 01530 230807

Ifor

#21 ·
Fishing report week ending 03/09/06

We did have some very windy days last week that kept the rods off the water, however when the wind allowed we enjoyed excellent sport with the last couple of hours providing good evening sport with fish moving to buzzers & sedge.

Floating line was the first choice of line for most of the week with a muddler, sedge, daddy, diawl bach, suspender buzzer & claret nymph with an intermediate or midge tip also taking fish on buzzers, nymph & goldhead daddy. The area in front of the dam to the cages produced best, especially during the evening with a few fish taken from the arms.

Gary Owen caught 10 for his evenings visit, Mark Perry fished three late evening sessions from his float tube to take 14 trout to 4lb, Bill Stone caught 10 for his evening visit, Dave Pritchard fished a diawl bach & damsel for his morning visit to catch 9 fish 7lb8oz, Norman Perkins used his suspender buzzers during his mornings visit to catch 20 trout whilst Christine Bagshaw used a small claret teeny nymph to catch 13 to 4lb. Other notable trout John Salisbury 5lb4oz, R. Dredge 4lb8oz, D. Howat 4lb12oz, J. Thomson 4lb8oz, Allan Coleman 4lb12oz, Andre Russell 4lb8oz, John Everett 4lb6oz, C. Cattell 5lb, R. Ryce 4lb4oz & 4lb8oz, R. Towers 4lb4oz, Lol Worrall 4lb12oz, M. Sturgees 4lb, A. Wale 4lb8oz.

Don’t forget the largest trout of the 2006 season wins you a season permit for the 2007 season, trout must be weighed at the fishery scales & witnessed by a member of staff. The fish to beat as of last week 7lb8oz by Dave Pritchard.

With the reducing daylight hours our part day boat times have altered to:

Morning Boat 8.30am – 2.30pm / Afternoon Boat 2.30pm – 8.15pm

The last three weeks have fished well with a number of grown on fish over 3lb been taken, with the current long range forecast looking favourable we should enjoy a good Autumns fishing.

Contact the lodge 01530 230807

Ifor

#22 ·
Fishing Report week ending 10/09/06

It certainly has an early Autumn feel to it, colder misty mornings, warm daytime temperatures followed by cooler evenings, its one of my favourite times of year. The sedges, buzzer & daddies are bringing the trout onto the surface with the best of the rise occurring during the late afternoon to last light. Lots of trout moving at times although not always proving easy to catch. The boats on the drift using black or claret buzzers, silver invicta, whickams, wet daddy or muddler all pulled through the wave or dry sedge, daddy & suspender buzzers are catching best with the area from the cages to the main car park, green bay & stones still producing best.

Russ Martin won the Thornton Fly Fishers pensioners match taking 6 fish 12lb1oz then returning onto the water to return a further 4 trout, Clive Holt continues to make the most of the afternoon session catching 10 to 5lb4oz on his first visit of the week, returning the following evening to catch 22, Norman Perkins caught 10 to 5lb2oz on suspender buzzers, Dave Mottram caught 6 to 6lb12oz on CDC buzzers, Thryberg Angling Club visited Thornton over the weekend with junior angler J. Rogers taking a 5lb rainbow.

Other notable fish were: G.A. Richards 5lb, H. Hunns 4lb1oz, 4lb11oz, W. Lewin 4lb, D. Herrington 4lb8oz, M. Gardner 6lb, Mr Shackleford 4lb8oz, Reverend Chip 4lb8oz, S. Williams 4lb, 4lb8oz, Rowett 4lb8oz, A. Russell 4lb, 4lb4oz, Roy Bailey 5lb8oz, B. Downes 5lb, K. Shenton 5lb4oz, N. Winter 4lb8oz, J. McArdle 4lb10oz, J. Jackson 4lb.

Full day boats 8.30am - 8.00pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 2.30pm / 2.30pm - 8.00pm
Lodge open from 7.30am Tel 01530 230807 www.flyfishthornton.co.uk

Ifor

#23 ·
Fishing report week ending 17/09/06

An algae bloom this past week slowed the fishing bringing our rod average from 3.0 to 1.9 Although we have had huge amounts of daddies on the water the trout seem more interested in feeding on the buzzers.

Cages, green bay & the stones have produced best to either an intermediate with montana, silver invicta, buzzers or fry patterns or a floating line with a daddy or floating fry on the point with buzzers on the dropper.

Mike Cupitt caught 8 to 4lb8oz on daddy, muddler & buzzers, Geoff & Shirley Over caught 7 to over 3lb on damsel & daddy, Harold Pritchard caught 6 on an intermediate & cats whisker, J Crane & his son Simon caught 7 on small dry daddies for their evenings visit, whilst Peter Blackburn on a visit from New York borrowed a rod & line from the lodge purchased a few daddies & buzzers & was rewarded with 6 fish to 3lb8oz.

Don't forget the largest fish caught, weighed & witnessed by a member of staff will win its captor a free season permit for the 2007 season at the moment the fish to beat an 8lb3oz rainbow was taken by Mick Adkin fishing a small white booby on an intermediate. Other notable fish this week R. Knapp 4lb, E. Caley 4lb7oz, P. Shipley 5lb, B. White 5lb8oz, Mrs Mary Taylor 4lb & 3lb, John Montford 4lb, N. Williams 5lb, B. Beeshard 4lb12oz, Louis Conway 4lb6oz & A. Daniels 4lb4oz..

With the trees starting to get their Autumn colours the trout will start to turn their attention to the fry during the next few weeks, it could be worth venturing up the arms & fishing along the weed. With a small minkie or floating fry.

Full day boats 8.30am - 7.45pm
Part day boats 8.30am - 2.30pm / 2.30pm - 7.45pm

Ifor

#24 ·
ifor said:
Fishing report week ending 03/09/06

...... Bill Stone caught 10 for his evening visit,
Ifor
That's more than he'd catch in an entire season when I used to fish with him! :D

I'd love to get back in touch with him - please God he's not still playing rugby for Loughborough - if you could possibly PM me his phone number Ifor I'd be very grateful.

Lighthouse (aka Paul Dunstan)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.