Thornwood Trout Lake, Essex

Charliea1234

That's funny - first time I ever fished it a few years ago on a freezing winter's day, I caught a few on a blob and Peter told me no-one had ever used one there before.

Now, it's the go-to method:D

Charlie

22lbbrown

not for long Charlie! as you know its quite a naturals water so as quick as they on them they will be onto something else! as was a month of cdc tiny dries and cunards buzzer cdc , then blobs/egg fly and fry chasing is just about to start/already going on..but has been consistent 1-4 fish per person all summer,with browns also feeding/being caught and rainbows up to 11lbs landed so good summer fishing really for those doing it right! /for the ones fishing the right time of day! so when new stock goes in its going to be lively!! hope to see you soon again

22lbbrown

bang on fry since weekend,snakes, cormorants & minkies.....fast retrieve intermediate lines many limit bags plus last weekend and restocking on Friday also-water cooling fast now and fish getting active

22lbbrown

great fishing every day now with numerous regulars getting double figure bags -Daniel K. yesterday landed 16 and lost more than 20 to a selection of flies sunken daddy in morning, blob under a bung at midday then all afternoon on dries -sedges , daddies , hoppers and gnats -all newcomers here yesterday afternoon also on dries and buzzers with 3 fish over 6lb landed- lake 1 also starting to show fish after weed reoval of 1 end -plenty to see in stalking pools also!

mf2015

great fishing every day now with numerous regulars getting double figure bags -Daniel K. yesterday landed 16 and lost more than 20 to a selection of flies sunken daddy in morning, blob under a bung at midday then all afternoon on dries -sedges , daddies , hoppers and gnats -all newcomers here yesterday afternoon also on dries and buzzers with 3 fish over 6lb landed- lake 1 also starting to show fish after weed reoval of 1 end -plenty to see in stalking pools also!

Is the beginner pool back up and running, what are the rates please?

22lbbrown

the beginners flyfishing section of lake is opening on October 10th after the new stock come- it will be a 1 acre pool for beginner flyfishing and at times if need roach pole with a bung etc...also in the pipeline will be a small catch your own area fishpond for pure catch your own youngster fishing! but this will only be operational in cool water periods:thumbs: see you soon! rates around £15

Last edited:

roger h 10

Hoping to get to Thornwood on next Tuesday with my son. Not been before so looking forward to fishing this water for the first time.:thumbs::)
It looks like the sort of water that we enjoy fishing as we like clear water and stalkable fish.
Does any one know if there is any where that we can get a breakfast near to the fishery?
Is booking necessary?
We will be coming over from Kent so M25/M11 route.

22lbbrown

hi roger - the garden on other side of the road happy grow garden centre opposite the Texaco garage has a café in where breakfast are possible - only basic stuff here bbq sometimes, but am setting up the lodge for simple stuff microwave, gas ring etc -but all hot and cold refreshments and snacks usually available here- more planned!

22lbbrown

after a hard day yesterday on lake 2 in very still bright condition where deep fished buzzers the only method to catch under a bung today all 3 lakes were feeding ravenously from dawn till dusk ,with a few newcomers landing up to 10 fish - all on daddies both sunken and floating...lake 1 great for the damsels and fry patterns ,many fish recorded and all going home with up to 5 fish each and few released as well browns in the c&r end, nice grown on 3lbers showing well today in mixed bags ,recent stocking livened up the residents! more browns coming next week and lumps for stalking pools:thumbs:

davyc01

I really recommend lake 1 at Thornwood for those new to fly fishing. The fish are in good condition and put up a good fight when hooked but the takes can be very gentle.

There are very few obstructions round the swims to catch out those still getting their casting right, so more time fishing and less time getting your fly out of the plant life.The staff make a lot of effort to make sure everyone gets a good day fishing and their advice is always welcome.

Definitely a fishery that deserves more visits.

22lbbrown

thank you Davey , glad you had a good day! was great fishing all weekend on all lakes with lots of fish coming to all fly fishing styles - 3 youngsters also caught their first ever trout on the fly here....but in the c&r section of same lake I saw 4 fish over 3lbs released and a brownie, on lake 2 a father and son team on first visit landed 10+ fish in 3-5 lbs range all on daddies and on stalking pools a nice 7lber was taken but lots of fish to see and stalk...catch & kill only tickets start at £15 on lake 1 or parent child can share a 3 fish plus ticket..:)

22lbbrown

after a tough weekend only feeding on black buzzers, monday was tougher with selective feeding going on on lake 2 -then on Tuesday went crazy to small brown daddy longlegs on surface- mainly a brown trout feeding day as lots of browns rising and swirling taking of the top and all big ones from 6-11lbs! they went crazy before the rain came on Tuesday night- also many newcomers catching their first ever trout in our catch and keep end with prices from £15 -the other end of this lake has 200 brownies arriving next week to finish off the brown trout only theme:thumbs:

mf2015

after a tough weekend only feeding on black buzzers, monday was tougher with selective feeding going on on lake 2 -then on Tuesday went crazy to small brown daddy longlegs on surface- mainly a brown trout feeding day as lots of browns rising and swirling taking of the top and all big ones from 6-11lbs! they went crazy before the rain came on Tuesday night- also many newcomers catching their first ever trout in our catch and keep end with prices from £15 -the other end of this lake has 200 brownies arriving next week to finish off the brown trout only theme:thumbs:

I'll be paying you a visit on Tuesday, what time do you open and what are the rates?

Do you have a shop on site selling flies?

Thanks

22lbbrown

hi -yes have a huge range of flies and other tackle for here, we open at 8 daily and shut at dark -see you soon!

22lbbrown

after splitting lake 1 into an easy for all end with rainbows catch and keep only every day for last 2 weeks we have had beginners catch their first ever trout on a fly with everyone going home with trout...and other end took delivery of 200 browns in 14oz- 1lb 6oz range to add to the 50+ resident browns already in there which are in the 3lb-11lb range so over 250 brownies there ! catch and release only of course so if you fancy targeting them come on down:thumbs: also 100 of 4lbers went into lakes 2 & 3 -tight lines all!

mf2015

Well had a cracking day down there yesterday, thanks Pete.

After quite a few blanks at Walthamstow I needed to build my confidence before the gear went on eBay!!

Thornwood provided just that with 4 fish landed.

I'll definetly be back soon and may well try my luck on the stalking lake. :thumbs:

Charliea1234

Thornwood and Walthamstow could not be further apart in the trout bank fishing spectrum.

Wally is not for the feint hearted and I would actually say that if you cannot cast 20 yards, it's pretty much pointless going there, even though fish are sometimes caught close. The fishing can be excellent though, if you can master a range of methods and cast a good line.

Thornwood is much more densely stocked and a great place for beginners.

Charlie

lukethetrout

Another fantastic half day at thornwood springs, I started my day up on lake 2 were I caught a rainbow around 3lb mark I returned that safely, and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of a fairly big brown in the shallows, so out came the dry fly I offered it half a dozen times but he was not interested so I gave it one last go but I sunk the dry a little so it was just in the water film and he slowly mouthed it and finally he was on, a fantastic fight as it shook its head. Eventually I netted it a nice 12 lb brown on a dry in NOVEMBER, this is why I love thornwood springs there is always a chance to catch on the dry fly no matter what month. I then made my way over to lake 1 where they have introduced around 200-250 brown trout around the 1 1/2lb mark along with the Browns already in there that go up to the double figure mark, still on the dry fly I had another couple out and what cracking fish hard fighting and stunning to look at all with some lovely coloured spots on. I also had a quick go on the stalking lake were I managed to net a couple of rainbows one of 5lb and a beast of 8lbs which took me all over the place it was a very powerful fish jumping out of the water a good few times, all in all I had a fantastic half day at thornwood springs some fantastic fishing and the new brown section on lake one is a really good idea and lots of fun. I look forward to my next trip as always!

pauledwards

New to stillwater trout fishing and found this lake via web search. Close to Junction 7 of M11. Series of small lakes, all bank fishing, mainly catch and release, but you can keep fish. Caught 3 rainbows (3, 5, 5+) and one brown (6+) yesterday, all released unhurt. Manager very helpful and helped me choose the fly to catch these. Excellent small stillwater trout fishing.

22lbbrown

nice one thanks Paul ! what is interesting for what I saw of him coming here 3 weeks ago was 1st visit on small nymphs/dry fly landed 2 fish- then a week later a blank with no fish then on 3rd visit he had what he had and mainly good sized resident fish as well ! this week mainly cats whisker.blue damsel & bloodworm -but fish are rising early morning and late afternoon and dries are getting offers.... best fish this week 10lbs but numerous above 6lb...

Latest posts