Thornwood Trout Lake, Essex

andyhake1

Thornwood is much more densely stocked and a great place for beginners.

Charlie

Charlie i disagree with that comment bud, I wouldn't say Thornwood is densely stocked, maybe the beginners pool is stocked heavy but the other lakes are stocked when needed, i know lots of people who have been and had blanks. I was there on Tuesday and had a wonderful day, lots of fish moving on the top but would they take NO lol, that's why i like Thornwood because everyday is a different challenge on the three lakes.

22lbbrown

Yes Andy -sorry you blanked was a pure bloodworm day on the bottom then!! And the next day was back on black and green blobs,and black green lures retrieved super fast!! for Daniel K. as when I did my morning walk by 9am he had had 4 landed...later on in that day was black green humungus for the browns on lake 1 and bloodworm under a bung in beginners end and on stalking pools montanna and green nypmphs........BUT today was different again -lake 2 blobs and egg flies only and only in orange or peach and lake 1 was only orange blobs at 6 feet and nothing else !!! so everyday different depth,colour,speed , line etc etc -very interesting fishing as a lot of variables as of late!!

22lbbrown

Continuing a good week of deep and slow fishing on intermediate lines -bloodworms and blobs for Luke yesterday who recorded a 3lb, 4lb, 2 of 5lb ,6lb & a 9lb rainbow topped off with a 6lb brown -not bad and all but 1 where long term fish again! Rest of week a selection of fry patterns catching also with other fish up to 7lbs on cats whisker & humungus. Restocking all 3 lakes next week with over 400 fish coming in various sizes!

andyhake1

Continuing a good week of deep and slow fishing on intermediate lines -bloodworms and blobs for Luke yesterday who recorded a 3lb, 4lb, 2 of 5lb ,6lb & a 9lb rainbow topped off with a 6lb brown -not bad and all but 1 where long term fish again! Rest of week a selection of fry patterns catching also with other fish up to 7lbs on cats whisker & humungus. Restocking all 3 lakes next week with over 400 fish coming in various sizes!

I'm going to have to get there in Feb if the weather is kind. :thumbs: Well done yet again Luke.

mebu

went a couple of days ago....was it Wednesday?....anyway, a cold wind day with nothing moving. I had a floating line, too shallow, and a fast sinker, too fast, kept dredging the bottom. needs an intermediate/slow sinker? had one rainbow but it was a good fish, obviously quite fit, so thought my lack of success was me/my tackle rather than the water. Intend going back. Peter

22lbbrown

yes all been on intermediate and was similar yesterday with Billy landing 6 fish including an 8lb brown will all others in 3-4lb size all on bloodworm about 9 feet down -pics on our facebook page...restocking all lakes tomorrow also..

22lbbrown

great fishing all weekend with all catching from 1 fish to 20 plus fish!! all about the depths and presentation of retrieve to get big bags - 3 browns over 5lbs landed this weekend and a few more 5lb+ rainbows - worms, crunchers & montanna best with all 3 lines been in use from morning to evening time:)

22lbbrown

Great fishing all week for all from 8 year olds catching their first trout in last weekends gale force winds to all in Iain Barr Airflow Bankmaster match which saw 58 fish landed in same conditions including rainbows up to 8lbs and a few 5lb + browns...rest of week has been a rod average of 6 fish per rod with a couple of anglers reaching double figure bags with fish to 7lbs both rainbows and browns all on black snakes, zonker etc etc -also a brownie on a dry at dusk yesterday on a cdc- getting better and better ! lodge finished and kettle allways on!

22lbbrown

some fantastic buzzer fishing at present Darren had 2 browns from brown pools on a tadpole on Saturday, followed by a 9-10lb rainbow on stalking pond on a bloodworm and 13 on buzzers from lake 2- all in an afternoon session! then on wednesday tony had 6 on bloodworm under a bung - whilst others not able to fish into wind blanked...yesterday 3 guys in and 30 fish landed on buzzers again with fish topping all day! so fish the right fly on the right presentation drift and match the food source = big bags of fish , do the wrong thing in the wrong place = not many or no fish!!

22lbbrown

Buzzers buzzers and more buzzers as has been the theme for weeks.. some klinkhammers on top ...most catching well lately the few who don't at least seeing loads and hooking up...last night I had a chuck or 2 after some browns -for pictures of my last night 2 of 2 very different browns almost like different species, in 2 successive casts! lucky my pal around to photo! -check the facebook Thornwood Trout Lakes & Flyfishing....also will be on our blog later - Fly Fishing Thornwood....most left with limits today:wine:

22lbbrown

plenty of browns feeding this week with yesterdays best a 9.5lb sightfished fish taken on a buzzer in margins from lake 2, also a few in 4-6lb on same lake all on buzzers with rainbows on dry shipmans...lake 1 producing limit bags for all this week and a few bonus browns and lake 3 on crunchers deep down for fish to 8lbs both rainbows and browns with a couple of doubles lost at net! check facebook for latest pictures..a good rod average this week of 6.4 per rod with a few recording 15 plus fish in mixed bags-evening rise also worth a visit just for that -hawthorn fly everywhere today!

r2ugs

Another cracking day at thornwood. Manged twelve today including three browns to around 6lb, 8 rainbows to around 4lb and finished the day off with a 2lb Rudd! One of those days where you had to keep chopping and changing, I caught on everything from a shipmans buzzer to a big natural minkie.

pati

Hi,

Was there as well for the afternoon with a friend yesterday. He missed 4-5 and caught his first 2 trouts on the dry fly. I had 12-15 mostly on dries and 3-4 on the streamer.

Another great day at Thornwood. Pristine water, super hard fighting beautiful fully finned trouts. A very rewarding water when you crack what the fish are on!!!

Nice hatch of caenis and sedges in the evening!

Give Thornwood a try, you won't be disappointed!!

Pat

22lbbrown

Glad you had another good session David! well done -just to point out you caught that many fish in a late afternoon/evening session and was before the restocking of this week as was the Trout Fisherman feature with Peter Cockwill 10 days ago who also had another great session even though it rained most of the time..So all lakes restocked a few days ago ,rod average very high for weeks -if you know how to fish depths on certain days as sometimes pressure has meant feeding on buzzers 10 feet down all day, great dry fly sport now most evenings mayflies,sedges, daddied ,damsels hatching well, lots of browns showing in catches -great pictures for all to see on facebook pages and blog water still very cool and water crystal clear:whistle:

r2ugs

Another brilliant day at thornwood, 9 fine finned rainbows and two lost (one straightened the hook) and countless bites missed. Majority of the fish fell to a black buzzer but I also had some on a blob under a bung and finished the day with one on a dry.

22lbbrown

well done Billy ,should have come today as fish were high up and feeding crazy from early till late with Jeff S. catching 29 fish up to 5lbs on buzzers in a 4 hour session on lake 2 from 11till 3 -the hard part of day apparently!! .. others had 8 apiece on lake 1 with a few browns recorded also and on lake 3 fish up to 8lb lost at net when I over there but Darren also had 8 from lake 1 and 4 from lake 2...rain last night must have settled them and much higher in water all day...what are the others missing who not here-----proper rain now and car park looks like a forth lake!

pati

Hi guys,

Thornwood is at its best these days! I went there a couple of weeks ago with a friend, and returned alone yesterday.

The fishing is absolutely brilliant. Never ever seen fish fighting that hard really fishes are in absolute pristine condiction: fully finned, muscular, obviously feeding very well by themselves in the insect/fry rich lakes. I m really prepared to bet with anyone that you would be surprised how hard these fishes fight.

I had about 12fishes 2weeks ago, half on dries and half on streamer on a fast intermediate. Yesterday I had almost 30 fishes (on top of about 10 fishes having broken my 0.16 fluorocarbon tippet, and probably about 15-20 missed takes) most of them on the dry, 4-5 on streamer and 5 on the snake (first time I use the snake, fun to fish on the surface with the big bow wave when fish gets interested...). Now clearly the 2.30pm-4.30pm slot is super tough if the sun is out but knowing it it s worth delaying lunch for that slot then after fishing all morning up to 2.30, a good break is well deserved and personally I can t get bored at Thornwood just watching the wild life: be it fishing related (tons of insects, small fry...), or the wildlife in general: yesterday on top of the usual rabbits (plenty of them), geese, water hen and great crested grebe (what a magnificent bird by the way), I felt gifted to witness a nice fox (don't get me wrong I see plenty of them in London, but they are really much more beautiful to watch in their normal "wild" habitat) trying to ambush the rabbits (then he saw me and ran away).

Again Thornwood is at its best these days and it s well worth going despite the crazy weather. Yesterday I fished the first 30 minutes of the storm and had 3fishes, then I took shelter for 45 minutes in the lodge, and caught another 6 after the storm (and missed many)!

Go: you won t be disappointed!

22lbbrown

Well done David another good session , also had another good morning one since this write up where he fished only small dries for a decent mixed bag including a nice brownie. But for others all methods on different days - mayfly, daddies, shipmans and also pulling damsels & snakes successful al well as buzzers static and blobs when a daphnia bloom...also Darren who sometimes posts on here hooked one of the monsters in stalking pool this weekend so in 15lbs up to 23lb range snapped him super fast on 13lb leader but he knows what it was and much much bigger than his recent spell of 9-10lb size fish....next time!

22lbbrown

great dry fly fishing last few days for most of the day -luke weaver a regular who posts on here sometimes had a great morning on Thursday with 8 on dries and 4 on buzzers -fish up to 6lbs but we both saw rainbows at edge feeding up to 11lbs - yesterday Eddie caught on every lake again including a brownie,:) on dries and buzzers but evening time all caught on sedges - see facebook for their added pieces and pictures -this year we are voted number 38 out of top 100 trout waters -pleasing jump of 45 places ! thanks to all loyal and regular customers who appreciate proper fly fishing who have also made it happen -more improvements to come:thumbs:

22lbbrown

Rod average of 3 per rod for this weekends anglers on lake 2 -shipmans in am session ,white snakes fast retrieve at elevenses, after midday on damsels and daddies at evening time - 3 fish each angler with no one in all day so all good -daddies really on form now. Lake 1 the catch and keep end is consistently producing to all methods -Autumn stocking for all 3 lakes arrive soon . browns and bigger bows starting to move and plenty of sight fishing possible especially early morning.