Thornwood Trout Lake, Essex

22lbbrown

Restocking of all 3 lakes this friday with over 400 fish coming both rainbows and browns to over double figures turning up -like us on facebook page: Thornwood trout lakes & flyfishing or Instagram @flyfishing_thornwood also check our web:www.thornwoodtroutfishery.com -to see the stocking -numbers ,sizes,quality etc etc -you follow and see and like -better still come and catch them as a biggest fish of month is going on with an entry fee of £1 -winner takes all in pot and a day ticket to fish all 3 lakes!we have fished great all summer long and now we on daddies and lures big time - but will be amazing fishing after the fresh fish turn up - just completed a new gutting shed / prep area -if carling made gutting sheds then probably the best in the uk like the lodge:)

scubacrazy123

Well, after an enforced absence of nearly 2 years due to health problems, I'm finally "allowed", and able to re-start my fishing activities !! Hurray !

And the plan is to come to Thornwood on Wednesday or Thursday this week ( 12th or 13th)

Any advice on best flies to bring along, what's working etc?
I don't think I'm ready for the stalking pool yet, but want to fish the other 2 lakes.
Really excited about my comeback. I have had some great days there, and looking forward to many more.
One final question. Do you have a ticket for say. 2 fish then C&R?

See you Wed or Thursday.

Cheers,
Gary.

r2ugs

Another successful day at Thornwood yesterday. I fished on lake two and managed ten perfect rainbows up to about three pound. Best flies for me where a white minkie on an intermediate and a red apps blood worm fished about three foot under a bung. I also had an absolute beast of a rainbow miss a little yellow popper popped along the top, heart stopping stuff!

22lbbrown

shame about the rainbow you lost, as would have won the prize money and a days fishing:eek::whistle: having a feature here today for an online mag so lets see how different today is! as its a bright sunny warmer day today...fishing is spot on day after day so come on down!

3382adr

Fished Thornwood for the first time yesterday with my father in law. We arrived in cold and windy conditions to be met by Peter who gave us the rundown regarding the lakes and what was fishing well. Considering how close to London and Epping we were it was hard to believe how picturesque and tranquil the place was. We started at the top of lake one in an attempt to catch some browns, however, although they were all showing, they werent taking what we were offering. FIL hooked one but failed to bring it to the net.

I quickly moved on to Lake 2 and tried about 3 different changes of tactic before landing 2 x 1.5-2lb rainbows on an orange blob. I then fished a buzzer below an indicator to take 4 more. Happily at this point my FIL was still blanking, but alas this wasnt to be as he brought in 2 x 3.5lb rainbows.

A couple of observations- Firstly you have to really FISH Thornwood, you cant just turn up, throw in a lure and pull out a 12lb slab of lard. It took us most of the morning to find the depth and correct tactics for the fish. The fish are in incredible condition, and Peter cares greatly for their welfare. Every fish I caught left me convinced, prior to seeing them, I was hooked into a fish 2 or 3 times the size. They took off like steam trains and fought like nutcases. Honestly I havent experienced fish like this, even at Farmoor. We also thought the price was massively reasonable, with options to take fish and then C&R or C&R only. Something that puts us off more famous venues such as Avington, Dever etc is the lack of C&R options and the fact your day could be over inside 2 hours.

We are normally bigger water fisherman, however we were so impressed with Thornwood that we are going back on Friday and strongly suspect it will become our 'home venue' over the winter.

Thanks again Peter!

22lbbrown

Good to have you and glad you had a good day :thumbs: and also the browns gave all some entertainment on lake 1 -3 browns caught yesterday there from that section on klinkhammer, emergerger and a vibro rubber daddy lure type thing! but lake 2 also fished well and all caught on a real selection from montanna and ptns, to buzzers and bloodworms static under an indicator and the early morning stint by Daniel was snakes and blobs -so something for all! Tougher today and only blobs worked but a heavy downpour in afternoon will sort it and fish be in frenzy tomorrow i am sure:D see you on friday then..

pauledwards

Fished Thornwood yesterday. Caught 10, all released. All on buzzer, mainly size 16. Biggest was over 4lb. Lost a big brown I hooked into at dusk in the margins. Thornwood is now my home venue for winter fishing (chalkstreams in spring/summer). Same reasons as mentioned by others, such as: C&R (so I can fish all day), 3 lakes/pools for variety, fish fight phenomenally, it is HARD to catch fish, especially the larger ones - so a big challenge, it is quiet (I fish midweek). Back soon.

22lbbrown

Cheers Paul - you caught 10 and lost a brown, yesterday only lake 1 fished by a few new guys all went home with a few fish -was harder I reckon as no rising fish to target like your day -mainly lures & nymphs- today both catching your sort of number 10 at last count but 1 has landed a mint brown in 5-6lb size....all on lures not much rising -today I started to clear stream section to put a liner in to stop the slow leak in stalking pond-3rd time lucky!

pauledwards

Back again at Thornwood today (Mon 5th Dec). Fishing area constrained due to lots of ice. However, managed to catch 11. Biggest about 3.5lb but, as always, all fought great. Don't let the cold weather put you off (although I was thinking of quitting when my rod and line iced up!) as the fish are feeding and full of energy. Caught all on small, light buzzer fished very deep. Hopefully back soon.

22lbbrown

Last week of fishing has been as varied as ever here- for a last minute call on last monday night for fishing the next day for a Magasine feature we had browns to bloodworm on floating lines in morning for browns marginal patrolling -then on blobs static for while -then on to sinking line and snakes- great fun for both concerned. Then tuesday buzzers under a bung. Thursday cats whiskers and blobs... Friday diawl back and even a couple to size 20 flying ant dry fly . Saturday chasing damsels for rainbows on 1 & 2 and browns taking crunchers on neutral density lines...yesterday cats whisker and blue flash damsels -and today yellow dancers ruled the morning with montanna also scoring well in afternoon. The key to most days is super slow retrieves ,lots of pauses and letting it sink...best rod today had 10 rainbows and 2 browns so fishing well .

22lbbrown

Lots of brownies showing as of late -loving the cool weather and darker skies -Luke Weaver in today landed a 5lber plus had 6 other rainbows in 3lb to 4lb size from lake 2 -all in a short 4 hour session -static mini cats whisker today -slow slow slow retrieve = fish . pull like mad or too fast = no fish....ones who master it / listen doing very well each visit. Next week winter stocking starts 250 stockies arriving for lake 1 and cage, 50 of 4-6lbers for lake 2 & 3 as well as 10 double figure fish -keep eye on facebook/website/instagram for pictures:whistle: We are at the London Fly Fishing Fair in March so hope to see there or fishing soon . Orvis weekends all a sell out each time twice a month:wine: Iain Barr here for Masterclass teaching on 28th of this month-also fully booked so another the following saturday 4th of february is arranged with a few spots left -ones who struggle to catch/cant choose right fly / fish wrong depths etc why not learn from a world champion?? then you know what we all about! Just had 2 features done in separate magazines/online mag coming out next month, both rang the night before so no red carpet lol!! allways been done like that so far and how i like it -real world.. Log burner lit most days now and help yourself to free tea coffee in the lodge,gutting room and covered bbq nearly finished and shop about to be moved into carpark next to lodge- few more jobs left to do though as allways- last year number 38 in top 100 -where this year as going to be a good year!

22lbbrown

Restocked all lakes yesterday -250 more rainbows for lake 1 & cage, some blues coming in spring for c&r end also, yesterdays batch also included 50 rainbows in 4-6lb range for 2 & 3, as well as a few more doubles for each lake - pics to see on website and facebook:wine: big browns ordered for next months arrival up to 15lbs! hopefully that will awaken the resident bigger brownies from their territories!Next month in Total Flyfisher magazine and another feature elsewhere..

22lbbrown

Fishing its socks off - today Darren had a 12lb rainbow and Dan a 5 lb brown -browns from all lakes today feeding and loving this cold snap, 3 browns stalked from margins on thursday afternoon by a new guy here on a tiny white nymph -all resident overewintered fish over 5lb..plenty of bows showing in 5-9lb sizes on that lake.....Iain Barr here last weekend for a masterclass -full house all catching and all learnt loads...check out Eat Sleep Fish latest issue on here as a good honest review as is the Everyday Angler review in this months Total Flyfisher -all honest as it is articles -check our facebook page for all latest catches todays just gone up there....hope to see some of you at the London Fly Fishing Fair:thumbs: Orvis classes again at end of month as is a Team England Fly Fishing match all shown on our new website Fly Fishing Thornwood..get on down if want one or more of these events or special fishes in our crystal clear water:) Plenty to target in margins !

22lbbrown

Best buzzer fishing for miles as of late , superb dry fly on lake 2 for those who can fish small dries -regularly double figure bags for some showing daily in records, -average of 3 browns per day last 10 days & loads of bigger browns to see/target in margins.... and today saw arrival of a tank load of Tigers for lake 2...lakes gin clear and lots to see - Orvis days a huge success once/twice a month from now ! so lake 1 plenty of browns showing from that end plus nice overwintered rainbows, mixed bags on lake 2 and fish up to 13lbs recorded and released on stalking pool - 22lb brown will be on its here soon:wine: rod average of 5.5 per rod but best is an 18 fish bag from all 3 lake ticket including a personal best ....as said earlier all pics to see on facebook pages -Thornwood Springs , website Fly Fishing Thornwood and instagram Thornwood Springs plus thanks to Eat Sleep Fish for a great article!

22lbbrown

Good dryfly fishing all last week with fish to see rising and splashing all day,with saturday great on mayfly,daddies hoppers and sedge for best evening sport with Dan K. having 14 to the net and losing same again , others averaging 6 per rod while sunday was a totally different day nothing really to see on top and buzzers worked well for the few who could fish them right or match them. Still waiting for some of you guys on here to write your day up as know a few of you been fishing here in last few weeks so please do add to this , fresh stock went in 10 days ago, great time on Orvis day with all girl class and all going home with 3 or 4 fish each:wine: good pupils:) good instructors:wine: Remember we open all summer but fishing is catch/keep on lake 1 due to margins warming so no c&r at brown and blue end till cools, but lake 2 is fine for both fish to keep and c&r due to deeper edge- check facebook and instagram Thornwood Springs for recent news,photos etc and see you soon:)

22lbbrown

lake 1 catch and keep end is a bit weedy as per nomal for summer but fishing past the weed or in swims dragged is great -just see our facebook this week with 1 new to the water angler with 10 rainbows for the pot-all on drifted buzzerss, some days damsels also doing well , lake 2 all clear of weed and crystal clear more rising fish here and c&r doing well with all releases good ,tigers feeding plus a few browns caught as well as loads of bows of course! some days buzzers,others dries then lures so you have to try different things as ever but feeding and mving well with marginal fish to stalk even in this lower waterlevel the water is still cool enough for fish to be at edge feeding:whistle::wine: lake 3 shut till autumn as not want to stress them out...Thanks to Trout Fisherman who voted us number 31 this year in top 100 of trout fisheries due to our new lodge, fish choices of lakes and lake designs onwards and upwards -very happy with that as hard to beleive we not existed 8 years ago so number 31 a good rise and proves we doing the right things -where else can you do this in August?? trout feeding and fighting and an open fishery??!! Proves the trout are happy fish!! Thanks to our loyal customers who without them we would not progress , check our facebook pages and a new website under construction for updates and instagram posts.

22lbbrown

4 new guys here first time yesterday , 2 of who we met at London Fly Fishing Fair , who regularly fish another local day ticket fishery ,commented they were there last week and saw a lot / about 40 dead fish being removed from the water that morning and caught nothing when fished,came here and caught 10 between them on lake 2 on a first visit and fish are fighting like demons as ever !-montannas and hoppers ...other 2 were beginers who went with a couple each from lake 1 -fantastic start to August:whistle::wine::) been continuous sport here all summer on both lakes, but was a bit harder over last weekends full moon but most caught 1-5 fish with sunday afternoon the hard time...New modern website under constuction and up soon:):thumbs:

22lbbrown

New website www.thornwoodsprings.com please have a look and see what we have to offer -some great photos , info etc more to be added....been going through catch return book quick tally up of tiger trout over 260 landed since end of march with 128 anglers landing their first tiger trout ever here at Thornwood Springs....rod average of last few weeks 3.9 fish per rod, no one fishing all day at all so each rod =half days worth of fishing so thats good for August! also 2 browns caught/released this last week as well as big fish starting to move again so water is cooling /not really got hot in july and august at all and fishing been good -usual story you still have to play around with depths and retrieves to get best results , tactics changing daily -real flyfishing:wine:

22lbbrown

lake 1 catch & release end for the browns and blues opened again on the 1st of september ,nice to see the blues again with all guys up there yesterday landing between 1 and 4 each , plus a brownie or 2 also recorded and a few nice tigers from lake 2 -these have been feeding well all summer and the blues all looked to be really plump and fight is amazingly fast, see our new website for latest info, plus uploads on facebook and instagram of some latest catches -stunning fishing all summer for ALL levels of angler -never too hot or bright here to fish :wine:give trout what they want they feeding every day and some tigers i noticing getting bigger as feeding on a lot of fry..soon to upload pics of my next farm vist of our growing on big fish which at the minute are 15-16lbs but when target weight of 22lbs reached they come here-watch those spaces!

pauledwards

Fished Thornwood yesterday (Friday 8 September 2017). Caught 6, 2 tigers 4 rainbows, with 4 on dry fly, casting to specific fish cruising the margins. Great fun on a wet and windy day, and this is even before restocking. Will be back soon.