Thornwood Trout Lake, Essex

roger h 10

Thornwood fishing very well. Caught 12 yesterday (Tuesday 13th March), biggest 8lb+ rainbow from the stalking ponds. Moved between all 3 lakes which was necessary as fish feed very different in each, with Lake 1 much more difficult yesterday. However, another angler lost a double figure brown at the net in that lake. Lake 2 was a challenge as fish rising everywhere but difficult to get them to take. However, after numerous changes finally hit on right approach - ignore the rising fish and fish deeper - caught 6 in 90 minutes, all on tiny buzzers, but 3 to 6 foot deep. Best of those was 4lb+. I would highly recommend Thornwood (and the 3 lake ticket) if you want to mainly do C&R - I had a whole day's fishing and caught fish the same size but much better quality than Avington and Lechlade, both of which I fished last autumn. And I wasn't finished in 2 hours! Back soon.

What does the 3 lake ticket cost Paul? I have a bit of a job getting my head round Peter's pricing structure.

pauledwards

Sorry only just seen this. A 3 lake ticket costs £45, which might sound expensive compared to some, but it is all day unlimited fishing. See my next post below for update from fishing yesterday.

pauledwards

Fished Thornwood again yesterday (27 March), on 3 lake ticket (cost £45). Caught 16, lost 6, in about 7 hours fishing. Biggest was 5+lb blue, with a number of other blues and rainbows at 4lb. Fished all 3 lakes and this is why I like it there. The small stalking pool, where I have had some great fish recently, was doing nothing. The rainbows were feeding well in Lake 2 and I caught a number of those - but note, the smaller fish are rising, the bigger fish are deeper. The blues in Lake 1 were on a feeding frenzy and caught a number of great blues in quick succession. All fish on buzzers - various sizes and depths. Attached (if I got it to work) is a picture of the biggest blue I caught. Thornwood Blue March 2018.jpg

22lbbrown

Well done again Paul,a real variety of feeding going on and species on different visits, interestingly the 2 big stocking of double figure browns only 3 landed so far,same again lost at net...Facebook Thornwood Springs as is website and Instagram,more tigers stocked today so spring fishing is going to be amazing for sure,lots of grown on Fish showing to black gnat,knotted midge,Cdc emergers, lots of buzzers.A few prices 1 Fish on lake 1 +C&r =£30, same on both lakes =£37 or all 3 like Paul took £45..Catch and keep 3 Fish on 1 =£25,these the most used options, but a few more options available for those who want to take bigger fish Fish all 3 etc etc....Evening tickets same price as when opened £22,£30 & £40 on lake 1,2 & 3.

22lbbrown

Worth pointing out half of Pauls catch yesterday was from Three Springs lake 1 - the cheaper choice lake ,all blues today , crazy when studied daily like i do as some days all rainbows released up there,another day all browns and only some days all 3 species feeding together and caught together -also the other 2 lakes been stocked far more recently than these blues and browns -natural feeders and depths again! work it out like a real fly fisherman and results constant as shown by above...just to different flies,lines and depths so £30 all day for his 6 blues up there and a rainbow for pot!

pauledwards

Caught 13+lb brown trout at Thornwood stalking pool yesterday. Was trying to upload picture, but for some reason web site not allowing. Anyway, fish was stunning and fought furiously, thankfully I caught it on my 7# rod and with a fresh leader after changing the other because of a wind knot. Fish released unharmed. Having seen the fish move and strike after prey, I spent about 2 hours on-and-off trying all different methods and depths before catching him. Caught tigers, rainbows, browns and blues on other 2 lakes.

Attachments

• IMG_20180401_145059.jpg
    IMG_20180401_145059.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 184

22lbbrown

Well done Paul , you stuck with trying to tempt a double and eventually you got one! Fishing has been spot on for days , all dries on lake 2 Cdc best as well as midges and gnats�� 3 Springs all nymph and bloodworms much deeper down and fry on stalking pool today , browns for all today with them up to 4lb and bows to 7lb top rod recorded 18 fish today from all lakes and all species! Fish rising non stop and an osprey fished here for the first time catching a tiger trout in a swoop video on YouTube later and blog on website Thornwood Springs as well as Facebook,where else all that happen??

22lbbrown

Another fantastic days fishing for regular Daniel K. in a short morning session 16 fish released by 1pm! all on buzzers in catch included 4 browns -2 of in 11.5-13.5 scale , 7 blues up to 5lbs and rest rainbows again up to 5lbs while another angler recorded 6 -2 of each for him also ,buzzers,buzzers , buzzers! Check facebook and instagram and website for yesterdays pics and a video of both big browns hooked and running on you tube as soon as edited -with screaming reels galore! Now is the time for that big brown or a small brown or a few browns as 6 landed between those 2 yesterday ,5 double figure browns in 5 days some older resident also feeding well ,great dryfly on 1 lake while other buzzer.

kevin55

London NW; originally from South Derbyshire
I lost a double-figure brown today on the stalking-lake, though it looked bigger than the 1 in the photograph above (really), having seen it on the surface a few times. There were lots of fish rising on lake 2 and the ladies on the Orvis day did well on lake 1
Always an enjoyable day there

rlangman

Second recent visit to Thornwood last week and as always a great day. Peter is always very helpful and accommodating. Fish all over the place, some aggressive, some playing hard to get but all beautiful and hard fighting.
As always the water has amazing clarity and their are fish visible. The key is to move around, try different techniques, different flies and don't be afraid to go down to minute dry flies and buzzers.

rlangman

Yet another great day at Thornwood. Peter was, as ever, a great host, providing advice on flies and conditions. I had my best day yet with 9 brilliant, hard fighting fish. 3 Rainbows, 3 Tigers and 3 Blues. All fish looked amazing and put up a serious fight!!!!!
I also saw the best looking brown iv ever seen as well as a huge huge trout of some sort (to far away to tell.)
Peter has a great selection of Barbless flies which are still hard to find in most retailers so do support the business and but flies on site!

R

22lbbrown

Yesterday very hot and bright all 5 trout species recorded rainbows on buzzers, browns and tigers taking dries ,blues on tadpoles as they swimming everywhere on one lake and a golden on a diawl bach. Big double figure browns cruising margins to see , tigers to stalk clarity great and levels highest ever , hawthorn ,sedges etc hatching now -restocking next week but looking at evening rise its not really needed! but is needed to carry great fishing all through the summer with some fresh fish.see facebook,website and instagram for latest news.

rlangman

Two trips to Thornwood last week, both very hot days with almost no clouds all day. Difficult fishing in that heat but I still managed 4 on the first trip and three on the second. Saw some brilliant Brown Trout but couldn't connect with them.
Best not to use blob type flies in this heat as they are engulfing flies at the moment and they are more likely to get stuck deep. Also spending a bit more time with the trout when releasing increases their chances, especially the blues.

R

22lbbrown

Yes you must come down as a local!thanks..this weekend was hot bright and muggy , but was full of off and on action as ever,top lake browns and tigers acrobatic taking blue & green damsels mid flight with 1 angler catching his first stalked tiger mid air suspended above water over reeds, double figure browns also to see jumping for same , not hooked though rainbows on same lake buzzers buzzers buzzers, middle lake 2 big browns recorded lots of blues all deeper in here , thislake is now divideded straight in middle so 1.75 acre each end,made bigger for summer catch and keep end heavily restocked last week and plenty to catch all summer long for all levels , catch and release end of this lake shuts June 1st as normal.Stalking pool was great Stalking with Stalking bugs with rainbow to 9lb and blues to 5lb recorded, water clear and still cool so get on down , having a World Fishing day event here on June 23 with Fishing TV emphasis on learners/beginners/kids all gear provided, some instruction on casting etc £25 couple of Fish to take home also , places need to be booked to confirm spotFacebook , website blog, instagram, Twitter all Thornwood Springs for all updates and news..22lb browns still being grown and ready for autumn/winter season but over 22lb by then

22lbbrown

Some great fishing as of late very mixed with strange pressure so very occasionally a tougher day but 95% of the time the browns and tigers on lake 2 visible and hunting the margins feeding on pin fry and lots and lots of blue damsels either on the water film or airborne with a few guys hooking up and landing after hooking fish in the cast -fantastic for them! Allways visible for all to see and pays off when you get the right fly and catch -the cooler days still about gnats and midges on top. The rainbows are all deeper down and further out mainly buzzer feeding the last month but landed up to 10lb bows and best brown at 8lb. Got some great videos and still photos yesterday of half a dozen or so double figure browns cruising /feeding i think on pin fry and tigers going up the shallow entry stream again for fry on lake 2 -these are on instagram already to see but will be a better video /still compilation going on the website blog and facebook for all to see Thornwood Springs for real undiluted and true shots ...we dont photo in these months catches out of the water as thats only a winter/spring time when not too stressful for the fish. Good to see lots of new anglers here and getting some good honest google reviews form good honest anglers enjoying their visit and travelling to do so . Also great to see a few youngsters catching their first ever trout and with World Fishing Day and @FishingTV here next saturday 23rd we will have even more youngsters and newcomers to the sport learning to cast ,catch fish and fly presentation etc etc with a BBQ lunch all for £25 -book your spot now ! Fishing For Heroes here next week , Orvis Training day next weekend so looks like a good week .New toilet block hopefully fitted soon!

22lbbrown

Not to much to say on fishing as so few venturing out but those that do if make the effort at right times of day,for surface and marginal fishing early and late most productive and rewarded with a rainbow or few, tigers seem to feed well at midday and are being caught middle of day but mainly on sinking lines and down deep ,this method also picking up a few bows cats whisker best bet. Your support is much appreciated and is needed and valued at all waters that stay open in summer, but we need more of you!! Use it or lose it!! -World Cup football and heatwave should not mean everyone stops fishing!...Aerators are on to keep it lively for a reason. Thanks to Angling Trust for the grant in helping us provide a better toilet block for all persons ,should be fitted this month with flushing toilets and changing room etc. Also big thanks to Trout Fisherman for voting us 29 in top 100 of Trout Fisheries ,very happy with that and considering only 11 above us are small still waters with the remainder big reservoirs with big budgets....As for next year more pumps and aerators planned to circulate between all lakes so should be good ,also more exciting plans so follow our website Thornwood Springs - Official Site | www.thornwoodsprings.com or facebook and instagram same name...the blog on website has all important updates ...20lb + and 22lb browns arrive when water cools so follow to know when!

tiddler1

Last time I visited you only accepted cash, has that changed? It was a fair while ago.

uglystik

Both lakes? All three lakes have been open for a while now...

The fishing has been hard through the exceptionally hot weather but not impossible. I had some fun stalking a 'tiger' in the margins a few weeks back, with an f-fly, and I succeed with a few rainbows off the top a week or so before that but as always it was about being there at the right time for the fish & sometimes they were well and truly on the bottom, or in the trenches.

I'm pleased its raining today though and the hot weather is on the way out... the lakes need the water and the manager has been working hard to set it up for a great autumn and winter.

I guess you must have already seen the lodge? The gutting shed is operational and 95% complete and in the last few weeks a proper toilet has been installed and the dreaded 'leak' in the stalking waters has been fixed (hopefully), amongst other things. But perhaps most importantly, more blues, tigers, goldens & browns and rainbows have been stocked along with 'spartics' too so the Thornwood Grand Slam is now more of a challenge than ever.

I was up there yesterday, when water was being pumped into lake 3, the stalking waters, to confirm the leak is fixed, and that is where the spartic trout are. So I just had to have a go...

But although the spartics were very evident, with some big splashes on the top and a lot of what looked like chasing going on (one end of the pool I was fishing almost 'erupted' with fish moving at the surface at one point), try as I may I failed to be the first to catch one. I don't know whether they are more difficult to catch than others, or whether it was just a bit of cloudy water - which will obviously settle in a few days - but they were playing hard to get. In the end I had to console myself that I could still catch a fish, with a short pull in lake 2 and was grateful for a tussle with a pristine 2-3lb rainbow before I had to call it a day.

Looks like someone else will be the first the catch spartics from Thornwood :(