Thornwood Trout Lake, Essex

rlangman

Another smashing day at Thornwood on Thursday!!!

I managed 15 in total, which is my best day to date. All really hard fighting and beautiful fish. Rainbows, Tigers and Blues were in my bag and all looked amazing. some bigger tigers and rainbows landed as well.

As ever Peter was a great host and the fishery delivered once again with great spot in the dry and fry patterns.

Ill be back later this month with a friend and maybe ill have a go at those Spartic.

Thanks Peter.

darren1615

Another fantastic days sport at Thornwood today no less than 24 rainbows and a stunning tiger trout numerous missed takes and a few lost fish all fin perfect and hard fighting this venue really does take some beating

22lbbrown

Good to see you Darren , and another successful day for you! Others on same day averaged 6 fish per rod with a couple of tigers,blues and a golden between them .Today was similar top rod 15 fish including a brown inhis tally! but again blobs rules but today saw a couple of browns recorded, these on a minky intermediate lines and also seen a double figure brown surface on stalking pools ,not get caught though and Sparctics were showing again but tricky to get a bite from! So all info is on NEW website - Home - Thornwood Springs as is instagram and facebook thornwoodsrings and a regular blog is on website- easy for all info and updates needed -new flushing toilet block courtesy of The Angling Trust and a grant so thanks to them for helping us. Also stock pond made much bigger and fish cleaning area all plumbed in with new stainless steel, signage as well as fancy new mild steel signs around the lakes- so 7 types of trout here now in all sizes range with some 22lb+ browns soon to be stocked very very soon!! follow facebook to see stocking and sizes -all info needed there...Also very soon Renalyn will be having food available so its all here! Check the latest google reviews for what true customers say on their experiences -see you soon!

uglystik

Yeah, well done Darren but... I hear you missed out on the Spartics and kindly left me the honour of being the first to catch a spartic trout at Thornwood. :D
It's a hard life but someone's gotta do it!:thumbs:

pauledwards

Fished for 4 hours yesterday before my back gave way. Caught 13 including one Spartic on a mini humongous. Rest were on Lake 2 on small buzzer deep down. Almost a fish/bite a cast once I found them. All great fighters. First time I have been for 4 months as focused on chalkstream fishing and it was great to see how much Pete and Ren have developed the place with proper toilet block, café in the near future, new signage, new swims. Looking forward to the winter fishing.

22lbbrown

Good to have you back Paul! -since your visit has got much colder at night resulting in some deeper down sport on all 3 lakes Three Springs bloodwoorms and red dial biachs the killer patterns -just play around with depths. The Trenches scoring well to damsels and sunken daddy at times , montana moments buzzers and shipmans end of day also best most evenings a rise where hoppers and daddies taking off the top. Stalking Pools the Sparctics on humungous very very deep down it seems they like the cold as i thought, 1 guy having 2 of them while his son managed a few bigger rainbows but these were higher up in the water. The last week every species has featured in the catchbook with biggest a 6lb rainbow on a fry pattern.

uglystik

Some great sport at Thornwood ... again this week! I thought I was doing well taking 8 rainbows on the same green minkie last Friday, over 4-5hrs, but I popped in late this afternoon for the last hour's fishing (which I stretched to 2hrs, into the dark!) only to find that one guy had caught 30+ rainbows and another 15+ mainly blues!! - over the course of the day. All on Lake 1.
Strangely, having caught on Lake 2 on Friday I had nothing this evening on that same minkie although if I'd fished a dry I may have had more luck - but I didn't set up a floater. I did hook one on Lake 1 but it got off - which was just as well because in the dark, I may not have been able to see the hook to take it out!

The really great news is that both guys with big bags on Lake 1 hooked into big browns that must have survived the long hot summer and are still there and more likely to be caught now the weather is cooling down properly. I remember them going in: they are big. I've seen and missed them myself!

22lbbrown

Yes John shame you arrived a bit later than normal but yes what a great day from dawn till dusk-sport ALL day on Three Springs lake where Simon landed and released 39 fish mainly blues and browns for him in that spot ,while his mate Ryan landed 19 fish virtually all rainbows and a few browns for him but both these 2 hooked a double figure fish each at dusk and both lost them as such a powerful deep run -but they know a big fish when hooked! Another angler managed 14 fish including 3 Sparctics and a his first Blue..All about mini snakelets today in black and green on intermediate lines for best bag numbers! But great news to know the big browns are moving again and feeding will commence-just have to keep the next ones one!!

pauledwards

Great day today (Tuesday 20th Nov) given the freezing rain from the Northeast. Caught 9, lost 4. Caught 4 spartics which were chasing small fry patters very hard. Also sat high in the water.

Back soon.

22lbbrown

Quiet on anglers front but fishing has been great, just wrap up well and have waterproofs if need! Best this weekend was Mike with 5 sparctics and a nice 5lb+ brownie from Stalking Pools, he also had a few blues from Three Springs and a tiger and 3. Bigger rainbows from Havering Trenches a good mixed bag day on humongous and Minky ...yesterday was season ticket Charles Morgan’s turn with 3 tigers and 3 chunky 4lb + rainbows with lots of missed bites all day! Restock next week check website blog and Facebook for Christmas happenings!

pauledwards

Fished yesterday (18 December), hooked 15 landed 7. Combination of small hooks and head shaking tactics from sparctics led to a lot of lost fish. But great fun anyway. What I like about Thornwood is that you can almost guarantee the fish are feeding on one of the lakes and are within casting distance. Yesterday it was the stalking pool with 10 hooked, landed in first 2 hours but I caught nice fish on all 3 lakes with a great resident rainbow from the top lake, being my favourite, although 4lb+ sparctics are great fun.

22lbbrown

Fishing its socks off since Paul above and his last visit -still no proper frosts so not seen any amount of browns yet , but all others showing nicely -best rainbow this week at 7lbs from the Stalking Pools but plenty of 4-6lbers showing on Havering Trenches at dusk ! Blues and tigers in the mix as well - diawl bachs in red on Three Springs and bloodworms also...Intermediate lines with zonkers minky and yesterday damsels on top lake.Water levels rising and clarity good lots of sparctics caught yesterday in our Christmas party social and another event on 29th a Grand Slam match with most species wins it, open all over the holidays so hope to see you then ! Happy Christmas to all!

22lbbrown

Some fantastic fishing in the last week , as couple of browns recorded also but more browns being seen moving around. Chasing rudd at edges at times. Best fish this week an 8lb rainbow on a buzzer, lots of buzzer fishing this week and yellow is the colour ..Also yellow bloodworms and snakes in yellow catching, the snake caught fish all in 4-5 lb range but on slow sinking lines on Havering Trenches. Also moments of dry fly at end of day ,mainly Tigers to this method daddy and hoppers the fly. Three Springs lake all static and marginal fishing for blues and rainbows - diawl Bach and bloodworms best and Stalking Pools on humungous and cats whisker for Sparctics and the odd blue recorded.Best bag 11 fish this week but rod average been over 5 per rod. Restocking this week and all sizes of fish coming and maybe the biggest we ever stocked here be in the delivery! Watch facebook and website blog for pics !

pauledwards

Fished yesterday, Friday 18th Jan. Caught 14, lost 4. All 3 lakes restocked on Thursday and both new and old fish very lively and showing themselves. Caught on snake, blob, damsel and snail patterns. Best were two rainbows at 5+ and a sparctic at 4+. Every now and again I try other venues but always come back to Thornwood because of the diversity of the fishing, the fish, and the possibility of really big trout, on a C&R basis. Back soon.

22lbbrown

Been a great weekend for all out this weekend -very low footfall on saturday ,weather forecast to blame again ,fished well for those out....Sunday much nicer brighter day but most of lakes frozen except half of Havering a whole bank to get all started -fished from the off immediately to blood worms , all catching on Apps and Squimy ...In the meantime i rowed out to free the aerator ,freed i switched it on and within 15 mins the ice blown away so another half lake to fish, more chasing of damsels and dog nobblers here , then a joint effort with a few guys and Stalking Pools accessed by them -result as had some plump rainbows up to 6lbs plus a Sparctic or 2. They then back to other lake for a bonus Tiger , rainbows on it everywhere with a few into double figure mixed bags -top rod new visitor Sean with 14 fish with all catching all day rod average 5.6 per rod -Great weather great fishing for all .Machines on now so hopefully not caught out again!

uglystik

I can confirm Thornwood is NOT FROZEN over.... completely! And the fish are taking a lure too!

I fished there today and spent most of my time on Havering Trenches (Lake 2) which has more open water, albeit with the wind in my face. Now wind in your face is hard going, but in my experience its worth putting up with, for a while at least. But today, I started out all wrong. A 5wt rod was not helping, so after an hour or so I had an early lunch and changed to a 6wt but still fished a bloodworm/buzzer static, under a bung. Well I don't like doing that bung thing but if that's what it takes ?.... Takes? I go not takes at all!! So on went my white Dog Knobbler (which caught me 4 bows in 2hrs last Sunday afternoon, across two lakes)

But it was only when I gave up battling the wind and went to fish the open strip on Three Springs (Lake 1), the wind behind me, that I found the fish. I picked up a couple of small rainbow escapees and a nice 2-3lbs blue but the biggest one of the day got away, opening-up my hook out a little in the process.

About 5yrs ago I cast to roughly the same spot I did today, on a cold snowy February afternoon (only then, it was almost dark) and hooked and landed a huge 12lber but today I hooked a big fish - probably not a 12lber (but who knows?) - but unfortunately after 15-20seconds of feeling what a lump it was, staying low and making me think I'd hooked the bottom, it shook its head and the hooked pinged out, across the full width of the lake and ended up in the tree next to me!

So my advice is wrap up warm - although it seems to be warming a little over the weekend - and support your local fishery. The fish are waiting and there has to be a chance it'll be a big one. Tight lines!

Last edited:

22lbbrown

Absolutely fantastic fishing last 2 weeks since milder weather ,damsels and buzzers on top lake for lots and lots of medium to largeish rainbows with the odd brown and tiger in the mix.Middle lake for blues and small bows on blobs and worms static fished along the margins still or tadpole on intermediate lines ...Lots of sparctics showing and now chasing hard cosmic cats been great here as well as some big rainbows showing...High rod average as of late ...All lakes full to the brim and circulating water now through the stock pond which is growing on some big big fish now so lakes are flowing water at each end which is going to create more features to fish!

22lbbrown

Check facebook page Thornwood Springs for this weeks pictures and videos -browns to 12lb recorded amongst smaller browns, plenty of chunky fry feeding rainbows plus very colourfull red bellied sparctics -very char like in these breeding look colours! pics to see of those and also of the new boat and videos of the flowing water water in and out of each lake plus stock pond with fish growing on in! -a good therapeutic sound at all corners of lakes now as all full to the brim...

pauledwards

Caught 14+lb brown on Thursday, safely released for others to pursue. Caught on small black buzzer, about two foot deep. Needed my 8# setup and 12lb tippet to muscle it in but barely fitted in the net. Some bigger ones in there and owner is stocking 22lb browns this coming week. Will buy a bigger net and be back soon.

uglystik

What a day at Thornwood today.. what a day!

I was later arriving than planned but paid the bit extra to fish the Stalking Waters, thinking I needed to get my Troutmasters badge for 2019 and it was then I learned that today was a very special day, with the long awaited stocking of 20lbs+ browns that have been carefully nurtured for many months until they were ready. No sure I've ever seen a trout that big!

My fishing got off to a slow start, with the guy next to me landing a nice Blue but nothing for me. Then I noticed the fishery vehicle had arrived and was moving around the fishery, clearly stocking each of the lakes..although it seemed to have gone quiet. It was then, as I walked around to investigate, that I could see why: the vehicle and trailer was well and truly stuck in the very soft ground. So shovels, bricks, old carpet, branches and anything else we could make use of were all put to good use, along with a good deal of human effort and finally, we got it all moving again and away to the firmer ground.

The reward for helping out was to witness the stocking of some real beautiful monster browns, of over 20lbs. They are a real credit to the fishery that has brought them on and full of energy as they were introduced to their new home.

So then, back to my fishing..

I moved to another part of the Stalking Waters, to let the newly stocked fish get acclimatised - although I hear that they don't normally feed for a few days after the stress of moving and re-stocking - and had a few pulls on a damsel on an intermediate line. But noticing the occasional splash at the surface, I decided to switch to a floater and put on a PTN. I thought about taking a break for lunch but decided to fish on and then I realised there was something solid on my line.. a fish.

Not just any fish. I couldn't believe my eyes. Having just seen a couple of real monsters being stocked I was now looking at another monster - from the colouring, clearly not the same ones though - and this one had taken my fly. I knew this was bigger than anything else I'd ever caught and was getting just a little anxious that I need to control and land this monster on my 9ft 5wt, with arguably too thin a tippet (at only 6lbs). But I tried to remain calm and stayed positive: perhaps I had a perfectly balanced outfit that would help ensure I didn't get 'broken off'. Perhaps...

I shouted out, for some help but then, as help was arriving, the fish came close in and I found myself trying to stop it wrapping my line around reeds etc. And then I realised this was my chance to net it, as it came in close... and yes! I had it! A real beautiful brownie, almost three times bigger than any other brownie I've ever caught and well over my previous personal best trout (of any kind). Red spots near its tail and perfectly proportioned with a large powerful spade for a tail. I was shaking. But I'd managed to land it!!

My thanks to Lee, who came to help: he took my phone and got some real good photos that I'm happy to share with you but will keep forever.

And..unbelievably.. there are now even bigger fish to be caught at Thornwood Springs Trout Fishery. Thanks to Peter for creating such a great fishery and maker of great moments like these... and many many more. Tight lines everyone!

IMG_3445.jpg

Last edited: