Thoughts welcome

Russell

Hi all,

a few recent efforts after a long break from tying. My question to you, you don't mind, is which buzzer pattern (if any :oops:) would you choose and what hook size is your preference. Fishing small still waters.

Many thanks,

Russell :)

IMGP2669.JPGIMGP2670.JPGIMGP2679.JPGIMGP2681.JPGIMGP2683.JPG

Rob Edmunds

My personal choice would be :-

2nd buzzer down ( red wire rib)

2nd Pheasant Tail

All flies would definatly catch fish👌......and are pretty well tied.

But I'm personally not keen on the first buzzer with flexi-floss, or the one with breathes ( breathers can cause the fly to twist or spin)

Curved Grub hooks also cause the leader to twist - so although I tie flies on them ( because I like the look) I wont actually fish with them.....

My hook of choice is a Fulling Mill Comp Heavyweight, Kamazan B175 or Hayabusa 761.....which are all exactly the same hook in different packages.

The Pheasant tails, I'd use both willingly exactly as they are👌 ........as a variant perhaps a hares ear thorax, or seals fur thorax

Russell

Thanks for replying Rob

Interesting about curved/straight hooks and line twist, that's never occurred to me, I've always liked curved buzzers because they feel more 'lifelike'.

The 2nd PTN has a bit of lead wire in it which I thought made it a little chunky, will try some with some other dubbing in the thorax, would you stick to natural or some bright colours?

Russell

Rob Edmunds

I also tie on curved hooks, because I think they look nicer.....but when fishing stick to straight hooks 99% of the time.

With the pheasant tails you have a lot of choice for the thorax.....hares ear or Olive seals fur was always favourite of mine ( rather than synthetic dubbing)

However 3 or 5mm straggle fritz is also very good, it gives you some mobility and is very tough.....black, olive, orange, chartreause etc. All work well.

Sorry to answer you question, you will need both natural and bright colours.....both have place and you can't say one is better than the other...it depends on the fish you are targeting, water clarity ect...

My top 4 would be...

Hares Ear Thorax
3 or 4mm Black Straggle Fritz Thorax
Olive Seals Fur Thorax
3 or 4mm Chartreuse straggle Fritz Thorax...

Experiment...see what works for you

BobP

They will all catch fish, but if pushed I'd use the black one with the red wire rib. I'm quite happy with curved hooks for buzzers. My absolute go to is a pheasant tail buzzer on 10-14 curved hooks. I've got some tied on straight hooks as well, but the curved ones come out of the box first.

I'm not keen on breathers on my buzzer patterns. I find that once they get grubby through fish slime, blood and general muck they are no longer effective. That said there is one buzzer pattern in my box that seemingly must have white breathers because it doesn't catch anything like as well without. It's a hares ear pattern with an orange seal fur thorax and a pearl butt. It only seems to work well towards the latter end of the season too which is odd.