Thread for buzzers

paul100

Hi All

Just looking for some advise on tying buzzer patterns - which is the best thread to use to give me that smooth almost glass effect ?

Thanks in advance

Paul

wobbly face

UTC 70 for small fine flies, 140 for standard.
Make sure you untwist the thread if you want a flat, smooth body. For a natural rib/segmented effect, just spin/add twist to the thread. Use flat thread to form tapered bodies. Twist thread to use as a rib over a flat or tapered body. Simple but very effective results. You can varnish or use UV resin after tying for durability and to add a little bit of weight to nymphs and buzzer patterns.

BobP

You won't get a "glass" effect unless you varnish the body. Three coats of Hard as Nails will do it but there will need to b at least an hour between coats. I do a coat of UV and as soon as it is cured I do a single thin coat of HaN. That gives a nice shiny look to the fly.

riogrand king

You won't get a "glass" effect unless you varnish the body. Three coats of Hard as Nails will do it but there will need to b at least an hour between coats. I do a coat of UV and as soon as it is cured I do a single thin coat of HaN. That gives a nice shiny look to the fly.
This winter I started finishing chironomids with a single coat of Solarez Thick, Hard Formula (the red tube). It gives good shiny depth without having to apply multiple coats. No idea if it is an actual improvement yet, but thought I'd pass along the idea.

BobP

For those who would like to follow my method of applying UV resin to buzzers, don't apply a blob of resin direct from the bottle onto the fly. I put a dab on a flat surface - an unused hook box is good - and apply it with a dubbing needle. It does not need to be a thick coating. Cure with the UV light and then add a thin coat of HaN with the dubbing needle. I am less interested in the UV effect than I am in a durable fly which is what this treatment produces.

paul100

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I'm going along the right lines just need the few tweaks that you've all mentioned.

Paul

chauchey

The Uni threads in the various Olive colors are also very good. I prefer their 6/0's to their 8/0s.

Scotty90

For those who would like to follow my method of applying UV resin to buzzers, don't apply a blob of resin direct from the bottle onto the fly. I put a dab on a flat surface - an unused hook box is good - and apply it with a dubbing needle. It does not need to be a thick coating. Cure with the UV light and then add a thin coat of HaN with the dubbing needle. I am less interested in the UV effect than I am in a durable fly which is what this treatment produces.
I do exactly the same, easier to get an even finish spreading the resin onto a card or old hook box or the like. And plus 1 for the utc 70, the black one is a nice deep black and is flat so lays nice and thin on the hook.