Thread tension

Cap'n Fishy

Col for the life of me i cant remember .

No worries, Andy. I can't remember whether my class used them or not! 😜

It would seem a bit rich if he did use one, after writing his book and getting many, including young impressionable me, to adopt his philosophy!

Col

Cap'n Fishy

It may just have been that as my local tackle dealer it was an extra sale.

Funnily enough, I was thinking along those lines, too!

Iam still using my Thompson vice he sold me way back then...

The vice I used in the 1980s was one of 2 that a mate of mine who worked for Customs and Excise confiscated from a ship coming in from the far east. His colleagues searched it for drugs and found a hidden compartment and thought they were onto some good opium or whatnot. Instead they found some hardware that they didn't recognise and thought it must be something to do with processing drugs. They showed these two items to my mate who, being a fisherman, instantly recognised them as fly-tying vices. So, he said, "I'll take these." He kept one for himself and gave the other to me. Why they were trying to smuggle fly-tying vices into the UK remains a mystery to this day.

Col

Cap'n Fishy

OK, take 2 on the Crippled Midge video. Adjusted the exposure. Much better this time. Wore a black fleece to make a low key background. Only slight issue was height. The vice is fixed. I needed to be slightly higher to avoid my neckline getting in at the top, but I am sitting on the chair the NHS gave me after my hip op. And it's as high as it goes!

Made the mistake of sitting down with a mug of coffee and ended up editing-out me drinking coffee several times. Oops!

Also edited out a couple of moments where the materials refused to do what I was telling them, and required a Basil Fawlty telling-to. I guess that happens to all of us! While winding the hackle, it flipped 180 degrees, and I just went with it. None of these issues in the overexposed version, eh? :rolleyes:

However, on the plus side, I remembered not to chop-off the front breather filaments this time. That was on account of the last batch of flies I tied being the mayfly paraloop spinners, where you do chop-off the hackle-post flush.

So, replacement video...

webblade

OK, take 2 on the Crippled Midge video. Adjusted the exposure. Much better this time. Wore a black fleece to make a low key background. Only slight issue was height. The vice is fixed. I needed to be slightly higher to avoid my neckline getting in at the top, but I am sitting on the chair the NHS gave me after my hip op. And it's as high as it goes!

Made the mistake of sitting down with a mug of coffee and ended up editing-out me drinking coffee several times. Oops!

Also edited out a couple of moments where the materials refused to do what I was telling them, and required a Basil Fawlty telling-to. I guess that happens to all of us! While winding the hackle, it flipped 180 degrees, and I just went with it. None of these issues in the overexposed version, eh? :rolleyes:

However, on the plus side, I remembered not to chop-off the front breather filaments this time. That was on account of the last batch of flies I tied being the mayfly paraloop spinners, where you do chop-off the hackle-post flush.

So, replacement video...

Another good one Col you have it down to a fine art. I was on your YouTube channel you really should do some more tying videos your pretty good at them. You need a mic so we can hear you telling the materials off when they don't co-operate :D

Cap'n Fishy

Another good one Col you have it down to a fine art. I was on your YouTube channel you really should do some more tying videos your pretty good at them. You need a mic so we can hear you telling the materials off when they don't co-operate :D

Cheers. I avoid using a mic as I sound like I am 'Special Needs' when I hear my recorded voice!

Col

morayfisher

As already mentioned in post #25, there is no need to waste any thread when not using a bobbin-holder. Do you know how a closed-face spinning reel works? 😜

Need some more thread?

Just disengage the spool and peel some off...

Then re-engage the spool. Carry on tying. Simples! ;)
Here you go. A hybrid of your technique but with the added benefit of a bobbin holder nozzle.

Just messing 😙
6D36B96B-F68F-4249-A8D0-DE8CA235F33B.jpeg
DDF3F045-CDC6-4556-B27D-27FABBA246FB.jpeg

Cap'n Fishy

Here you go. A hybrid of your technique but with the added benefit of a bobbin holder nozzle.

Just messing 😙

Good idea. Just depends on whether you find the addition of a bobbin holder nozzle a benefit or a nuisance. I would be in the latter camp, but some might find it useful. (y)

Col

morayfisher

Good idea. Just depends on whether you find the addition of a bobbin holder nozzle a benefit or a nuisance. I would be in the latter camp, but some might find it useful. (y)

Col
Yes, that was just a bit of fun but it did work to a certain extent and with a proper tube and some practice I think it could work ok.
It was easy to control tension with the thread in the crook of my little finger and with the bobbin hanging below the table top there was plenty of thread for the fly without fiddling with the bobbin.
I couldn’t help but be slightly nervous that the weight of the bobbin alone was going to keep materials in place mid tie but that’s clearly not a problem for you when not using a bobbin holder, just a psychological one for me. If I pursued this I think I’d find a way to add weight to the bobbin easily.

Cap'n Fishy

Yes, that was just a bit of fun but it did work to a certain extent and with a proper tube and some practice I think it could work ok.
It was easy to control tension with the thread in the crook of my little finger and with the bobbin hanging below the table top there was plenty of thread for the fly without fiddling with the bobbin.
I couldn’t help but be slightly nervous that the weight of the bobbin alone was going to keep materials in place mid tie but that’s clearly not a problem for you when not using a bobbin holder, just a psychological one for me. If I pursued this I think I’d find a way to add weight to the bobbin easily.

Yeh - I could tell that some folk couldn't get their head round the lack of weight, but it's never been a problem all the years I have been tying that way.

Col

Latest posts