Three recent salmon flies.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
After a few weeks break from tying due to this and that I've dug the vice out again to hopefully get some half decent flies tied. From left in the pic is a Popham (Pennell), Carnegie (Kelson) and bottom is a small Gordon Ranger of which I can find no originator.. Both the former tied at 2/0 and the latter at #2.

Popham.

Tail - GP topping & Indian Crow (substitute used).
Tag - oval gold tinsel.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - three equal sections butted with Ostrich herl - orange, yellow & light blue all veiled with Indian Crow (substitute used) above and below (here I used 18 feathers in total). Orange and yellow sections ribbed flat gold tinsel and light blue section flat silver tinsel.
Throat - Jay.
Wings - GP tippets in strands, GP tail, light mottled Turkey, Bustard, Parrot, red & yellow Macaw (last three subbed with dyed Goose), Guinea Fowl, Teal, Bronze Mallard and GP topping over.
Cheeks - Chatterer (subbed with Kingfisher).
Horns - Blue Macaw.
Head - Ostrich herl.

Carnegie.

Tail - GP topping & Barred Wood Duck.
Tag - oval silver tinsel & red floss.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - rear section - yellow floss veiled with Indian Crow above & below (substitute used), mid butt of Ostrich herl then front section - light blue floss.
Ribs - flat silver tinsel over yellow, oval silver tinsel over blue.
Hackle - yellow cock hackle over front section.
Throat - yellow cock hackle.
Wings - GP tippets in strands, GP tail, Goose dyed red, yellow & light blue, Barred Wood Duck, GP topping over.
Sides - Jungle Cock.
Head - red wool.

Gordon Ranger.

Tail - GP topping & GP tippets in strands.
Tag - oval silver tinsel & yellow floss.
Butt - Ostrich herl.
Body - three turns yellow floss the rest claret floss.
Hackle - claret cock hackle over claret floss.
Ribs - flat silver tinsel & oval silver tinsel.
Throat - blue cock hackle.
Wings - GP tippets in strands (preferably paired tippets as it's a Ranger), GP tail, Bustard, Goose dyed red, yellow & blue, strands of Peacock herl & GP topping over.
Sides - Jungle Cock.
Cheeks - Chatterer (subbed with Kingfisher).
Horns - blue & yellow Macaw.

Thanks for looking.

cheers

mark

wobbly face

Another nice set Mark. :thumbs:
Unfortunately I can't help with salmon flies originators as I let all my salmon books go. :rolleyes: My copy of T.Donald Overfield's book "Famous Flies And Their Originators" is up in the loft which might not help with the Gordon Ranger. :eek:hno:

baca157

Beautiful set Mark. None come for ages and then three come at once:whistle:

Did you completely give up on married wings now?

Cheers,
Sebastian

wingman

Another nice set Mark. :thumbs:
Unfortunately I can't help with salmon flies originators as I let all my salmon books go. :rolleyes: My copy of T.Donald Overfield's book "Famous Flies And Their Originators" is up in the loft which might not help with the Gordon Ranger. :eek:hno:

Thanks Ged no worries. I got the dressing from the Grewcock & Carne bible and it didn't give a name so if it's not in there then it might not be anywhere. It's obviously a takeoff of a Gordon and a Ranger (Ranger flies usually having the paired tippets as wings or under wings although I did mine in strands). If you turn something up please post it here.

Beautiful set Mark. None come for ages and then three come at once:whistle:

Did you completely give up on married wings now?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian. Technically these are still married wings as I initially marry up the fibres, brush out then re-marry again as I find it imparts a more natural look to the wing. But I guess you're referring to the more 'modern' married wings which no I haven't given up on. It's a slightly different method of winging and it's a lot easier to stick with one method than try to keep using two. If I'm tying 2/0 or smaller the above method is what I use because tippets in strands for the under wing starts to become a stretch once you get up to 3/0 so I switch to paired tippets and the more modern winging approach. So will probably get hold of a few larger hooks and keep tying in that way for a while and then switch back to the smaller flies and the other method. I just find it easier this way as I kind of get into a roll with that particular technique. When I switch back to the larger flies it takes me a good two at least before I get into that technique again after tying small for a while. Very strange these salmon flies.:rolleyes:

black knight

Hi Mark
Nice to see you posting your recent little marvels. You have been conspicuous by your absence and I do hope this didn't relate to you being unwell?

wingman

Hi Mark
Nice to see you posting your recent little marvels. You have been conspicuous by your absence and I do hope this didn't relate to you being unwell?

Thanks Alban no not at all I rarely get ill apart from picking up the odd flu occasionally. Been hammering my guitar over xmas and new year so my fingers are well shot with callouses now which aint that good for tying these flies with, it's them Gilmour bends that cut the fingers to shreds, I'm sure he has shares in Ernie Ball Guitar strings (the super slinky ones:)) the amount I've broke. It's either shredding or threading so one will have to go.:whistle:

Lewis Chessman

You never cease to amaze and impress me, Mark.

Something which would be fantastic here would be a dedicated, stickied thread with just your first posts; the flies, history and recipes, an encyclopedia of your past work.
And a link with each to it's original thread. It would be both an excellent resource and a gallery of beauty.

I know it would take a great deal of effort but it would be a Wonderful Thing.

Hey, a man can dream, can't he? :)

wingman

Something which would be fantastic here would be a dedicated, stickied thread with just your first posts; the flies, history and recipes, an encyclopedia of your past work.
And a link with each to it's original thread. It would be both an excellent resource and a gallery of beauty.

Goodness James some bold thinking there, the thought of my flies being worthy of a sticky is something I've obviously never thought of but I appreciate that you think them good enough for such a grand scheme. It would certainly get my flies in some sort of order but would like you say take a lot of work although I agree it would be very useful for people to find out more about the history of the patterns etc and also help anyone considering having a go at tying these kind of flies. Maybe some day who knows but I'm sure there's a lot more to tie yet either way. Thanks for the idea.;)

petevicar

I think that is a great idea.

baca157

Thanks Sebastian. Technically these are still married wings as I initially marry up the fibres, brush out then re-marry again as I find it imparts a more natural look to the wing. But I guess you're referring to the more 'modern' married wings which no I haven't given up on. It's a slightly different method of winging and it's a lot easier to stick with one method than try to keep using two. If I'm tying 2/0 or smaller the above method is what I use because tippets in strands for the under wing starts to become a stretch once you get up to 3/0 so I switch to paired tippets and the more modern winging approach. So will probably get hold of a few larger hooks and keep tying in that way for a while and then switch back to the smaller flies and the other method. I just find it easier this way as I kind of get into a roll with that particular technique. When I switch back to the larger flies it takes me a good two at least before I get into that technique again after tying small for a while. Very strange these salmon flies.:rolleyes:

Thanks Mark. I get what you mean about sticking with one method for a while. I really want to have a go a mixed wings but feel that I have to master the married wing first as I fear that if I move onto another method, I will never get really good at any of them. I’ll stick to married wings for some time yet before moving into other methods.

I agree with other comments regarding the archive of your flies. That would be brilliant.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Cheers,
Sebastian